Tequila, Parfait Amour, Fernet-Branca

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

onedollarbob
Tippler
Tippler

Tequila, Parfait Amour, Fernet-Branca

Post by onedollarbob »

Umm, I know this melange of unfriendly ingredients sounds straight up funk-nast, but if you happen to have the shit lying around in your bar:

MEXICAN ART FILM

2 oz Tequila silver
1/3 oz Parfait Amour
1 1/3 tsp Fernet-Branca

All hardware chilled. Stir ingredients with ample ice, as with a gin Martini: strain into cocktail glass. Lime twist.

Some notes: Or, how to bend an elbow--

Since I'm a long time drunk, I'm always looking for new horizons, as the old ones get . . . well . . . old. Tequila seems relatively undiscovered beyond the Margarita and drinking it straight for it's own sake. Tequila Slammers go way back, and still have their place; the Long Island Tea finds tequila indispensable; a Tequila Gimlet (with Rose's--gimlets were never meant to be made with lime and sugar as that's a daiquiri) is about as reverent as a gin Martini.

Use good quality tequila, since this is basically a cocktail and not a mixed drink. I can't remember why I have Parfait Amour around, but it was basically the reason I made this up. Parfait Amour briefly resurfaced a few years ago when we were in that SF/pre-prohibition cocktail revival thing, and it is basically a holdover liqueur from the Victorian period. More than you needed to know. Marie Brizard may or may not be releasing it anymore. Creme de violette or Creme Yvette are suitable, if not superior, stand-ins. Fernet-Branca needs no explanation (but many apologies).

I tacked the dumb name on as an homage to Luis Bunuel, who obsessed over the perfect gin Martini, lived in Mexico, and made post-surrealist French movies.
"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."--Ogden Nash

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Tequila, Parfait Amour, Fernet-Branca

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Sounds like a plan.
Thank you for your input. I, for one, will be trying it.
Cheers.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Tequila, Parfait Amour, Fernet-Branca

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

It's quite similar, in taste, to the "Bloody Nasty" (a 50/50 mix of Unicum and Pepper Vodka). This is an interesting variant that is well worth trying.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage