Garlic

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Garlic

Post by JimLahey »

In Russia some old school people like to chase vodka with raw garlic. Simple and a very satisfying burn.

Dale
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Dale »

I'm allergic to garlic. And to sunlight.

"What doesn't kill you makes you ... stranger."

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Dale wrote:I'm allergic to garlic. And to sunlight.
You're cured! You're drinking wine and eating chick'n!

"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

JimLahey wrote:In Russia some old school people like to chase vodka with raw garlic. Simple and a very satisfying burn.
I love Russian roasted garlic with vodka. It tastes nutty.

For those that want to try it, this is thee method I was taught.

Cut the tip off the bulb of garlic and the bottom, and take off the tougher, outside leaves (making sure that there are enough left to hold the bulb together). Make an X into the bottom of the garlic bulb. Place a square of aluminium foil, large enough to completely wrap the bulb. place a large dollop of butter into the centre of the aluminium foil and place the garlic into it. Put a small dollop of butter on to the area that you cut off the top. Next add salt, pepper, paprika (fresh or dried), dried chili pepper and/or hot sauce plus any other herbs and/or condiments, to your taste and wrap up the bulb of garlic in the foil; making a twist at the "neck" of the foil (so when you cook it, the melted butter will stay inside the foil). Put the foil into an oven at Gas Mark 3 or 4 (160 - 190C or 350 - 375F). The absolute best way to cook them (assuming that you make more than one bulb) is on hot barbecue coals or an open fire (especially an indoor open fire because the cooking garlic will make the room smell wonderful).

Once the garlic is cooked through, take it off the heat and open it, allowing it to cool slightly. Unpeel the garlic and choose between eating the garlic straight away, letting it cool completely and then placing it in a jar filled with oil to preserve it or get some pitted olives and stuff them with the garlic (for use in drinks - although, you should try a drink with the roasted garlic in place of the olives; or layered as such: one olive, one piece of roast garlic and one small silverskin pickled onion).
Enjoy!
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Palinka, you're like the Masterchef of drinks! Inspirational. There should be a tv show where you teach celebrities how to make drinks. I'd watch it.

I on the other hand, am lazy, so I'm just gunna buy some olives stuffed with garlic.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Casual Binger wrote:Palinka, you're like the Masterchef of drinks! Inspirational. There should be a tv show where you teach celebrities how to make drinks. I'd watch it...
You are too kind. Thank you. Truth be told, I'd love to be able to bring good drinks to the masses and would happily do it for free.
However, you really ought to check out the podcasts, on the MDM main website, as broadcast by FKR (Slurred Be His Name) for information far greater and better than mine.

By the way, if you want a cold drink but don't want it watered-down, use frozen apple, cucumber (peeled and deseeded), melon balls etc. You will be surprised at how effective it can be and how little taste (in most cases) taste they will impart.

If you are making a Bloody Mary or a Bullshot, then you may want some of those flavours; in which case, quickly bash them with a rolling pin before adding the frozen fruit or vegetables to your mix.

Enjoy.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

I've used Palinka's garlic recipe on the grill often. Back when steaks were affordable I used to sprinkle white pepper and celery salt over them, take the roasted garlic as described, which becomes a paste, basically, spread it on the meat and cook under high heat. Sublime.

Tried it in a bloody, too; mixed results.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Them garlics in the way P slow cooks htem is like candy.

Them

What is in this alchohol anybway?

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

This worthy thread has been BUMPED!

Garlic is a savory friend of both food and liquor. Try wrapping a paper thin slice of prosciutto around a raw garlic clove and supplementing it for the olive in your next martini. And of course, don't forget pickled garlic. It goes very well with vodka, almost any beer and (if you're into it) aquavit. I planted roughly a hundred cloves late last fall that are starting to come up nicely. Favorite growing varieties are Music, Chesnok Red and German Extra Hardy.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I went on holiday with my parents when I was 16 and we stayed with a german who had a business selling pickled garlic. he claimed it didn't make your breath smell. I don't know about that, but it does taste quite mild. It would make a great cocktail nibble, something along the lines of angels on horseback
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best