Whisky sour question

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Whisky sour question

Post by oettinger »

I had the great idea to get shitfaced on some whisky sour tonight. As the incapable wannabe bartenders of this town usually serve you a "whisky so fucking sweet that your teeth fall out immediately" instead of a proper sour, I will just go ahead and mix it myself (and safe a lot of money too).
Question is now: does it really have to be fresh lemon juice and where in the hell do I get Gomme syrup as wiki claims it to be an ingredient?
Can other syrup be used? And in which proportions should I mix it to get a nice sour flavor and not a "12 sugar cubes dissolved in whisky" note?
Drink!

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Whisky sour question

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

There is a fairly simple recipe listed on this site and it doesn't look hellishly sweet.
And from the BBC website, a rather more complicated recipe.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Thank you very much, first one sounds reahter easy. The no syrup part makes it even cheaper, nice!
I will leave out the stupid decoration though. I hope that rather harsh move will not tarnish tonights drinking experience in an unforseen and horrible way...
Drink!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I think gomme syrup is just another name for simple syrup. This is in a load of recipes and is water supersaturated with sugar ie with more sugar dissolved in it than will dissolve at room temperature. It is made by heating and stirring a quantity of sugar and water (not sure on the proportions but google should help, or a good book on cocktails) until all the sugar is dissolved, then cooling. It is used as it makes it easier to add sugar to drinks than crystalline form. I use a small amount of table sugar instead, or leave it out
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

oh, and i would be happy enough using reconstituted lemon juice from concentrate. It will have less subtlety of flavour, but I'm not sure I could taste the difference blind and it saves a lot of dicking about
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Palinka wrote:...And from the BBC website, a rather more complicated recipe.
Egg white? Hmmm...

Well, I've let my eggs remain free range, but they don't get all that far. Wedding band and all.

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Fencerjared
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Fencerjared »

Sorry for the necro, but had some information to add. Fresh lemon juice is better, but not necessary. A cherry garnish tastes pretty awesome. And gomme syrup is simple syrup with gum arabic added, to add a similar mouthfeel to a cocktail as eggwhite.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Fencerjared wrote:...a similar mouthfeel...
Well, you just opened a can of whoop-ass on yourself...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Hubby.

Awww...

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

So, instead of using sugar or syrup, you could just add a dash of coke. Thats pretty much liquid sugar. Just a dash, mind.

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

i love whiskey sours but is making them or buying a premade mix cheaper because i'm sure as hell not going to waste money on bitters i know they have their place in the making of cocktails.its just most of my drinking is on a budget with some $50 a fifth bottle stuff like on my bday or christmas. I feel like i'm gonna have someone pissed by saying this but i would be happy with the bottle of pre made mixer if it means I won't be screwing myself out of even a single cocktail from lack of money.

those recipes sound great though.

*THIS IS AN EDIT THOUGH. if you are buying the premade kind if you put like a lot more than they say you should mix in it tastes great honestly thats what i've found at least 1792 ridgemont and sweet n sour mixed like i said just mix more whiskey than they say to mix and ill bet youlll save money
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

nothing wrong with premixes,especially when catering. Never quite the same, but then what is?

beer is never quite the same

ummm

never mind

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

Mr. Viking wrote:nothing wrong with premixes,especially when catering. Never quite the same, but then what is?

beer is never quite the same

ummm

never mind
lol. I do want to try the real recipe when I get the money right.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

If using the premixes I would go with one of the mixes with the booze already in it. I know they are only like 40 proof or some such shit but you'll be adding your own whiskey ae well. After all it's only a 'mix".
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice