Martini and Tonic

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Martini and Tonic

Post by Mr. Viking »

Following the great tenet of "more is better" I don't know how I never made this before

to a pint glass ad 6oz gin (I am using supermarket gin from a large glass jug), top up with ice to fill the glass halfway. Add 1/2 oz vermouth and stir. Top up with tonic. Garnish optional. Will try adding bitters later as that is usually a good idea
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Martini and Tonic

Post by booznik »

Mr. Viking wrote:Following the great tenet of "more is better" I don't know how I never made this before

to a pint glass ad 6oz gin (I am using supermarket gin from a large glass jug), top up with ice to fill the glass halfway. Add 1/2 oz vermouth and stir. Top up with tonic. Garnish optional. Will try adding bitters later as that is usually a good idea
Let me know how this works out. It sounds dangerously close to disaster, but experimentation in the name of science is noble. I'm currently enjoying the standard G&T. Not supermarket gin, but one step up, Seagram's. Not too much more in cost.

What brand of vermouth are you using?
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Shhh...

Don't tell anybody.

I was putting some of the tonic with its quinine to offset that Martinit & Rossi (was a bit too much of moss and mold edges), but them Injun chicks helped with that problem: finished it with their Greygoose and garlic stuffed olives.

Being in a house where it is difficult to hold onto a decent bottle of anything for very long, thank goodness no one likes gin all that much. So I buy the best now, and it is there for the week.

I have a couple of them at a time these days, for sipping the almighty Martini.

So, Noilly Prat?

My apologies for a bit of a derail: I agree, a Martini with ice and Tonic is very refreshing
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

mistah willies wrote:...I agree, a Martini with ice and Tonic is very refreshing...
Mr. Viking has not yet rendered his opinion on the subject. In fact, we haven't heard from him at all. What is the standard waiting period before activating the Spy Camera Drone for a welfare check, when a Drunkard announces an experiment in progress, and then disappears?

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

he enjoyed it so much he fell through a table and then went to sleep in a pile of broken glass. I am the new, updated version. All hail the new Mr. Viking
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Mr. Viking wrote:he enjoyed it so much he fell through a table and then went to sleep in a pile of broken glass. I am the new, updated version. All hail the new Mr. Viking
An update is available! Now downloading Mr. Viking 2.0.

Change log:

- An issue exists which could cause Mr. Viking to fall through tables. This cannot be fixed, but we did look into it. You've been warned.

- Some scrumpy fixes.

- Mr. Viking was wrongly lumped in with those Liverpool louts who carry scaff-bars and give everyone else a bad name. This has been corrected.
Mr. Viking wrote:bollocks, there are always new posts liar. At least there always are in liverpool where coke is cheap as sugar. Sad I get lumped with that sort
- The price of cocaine has been corrected.

- The price of sugar has been corrected.

- The gin supply has been restocked.

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Surpised you could get this to last. I've tried pre-mixing Manhattens and for some reason they go south about 2 hours after storage, thought that the vermouth was doing something to the other booze. Explore on, my friend.

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Smatter Noguts wrote:Surpised you could get this to last. I've tried pre-mixing Manhattens and for some reason they go south about 2 hours after storage, thought that the vermouth was doing something to the other booze. Explore on, my friend.
Gaaaah, pre-mixing Manhattans, no no no. No. No.

Do not do this, please. Pretty please.

Pre-mixing works with drinks like Mudslides, but not with a Manhattan.

In any case, the table smashing would appear to validate my theory that a Martini and Tonic is a bad idea.

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

booznik wrote:An update is available! Now downloading Mr. Viking 2.0.
Happy Birthday, Mr. V. Two Point Three! Hope it was Ethylicious.

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Martini and tonic huh? Tried it yesterday, out of pure lack of ingredients, didn't like it. Chugged martini from a bottle after this failure of cocktail.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

oldsmartskunk wrote:Martini and tonic huh? Tried it yesterday, out of pure lack of ingredients, didn't like it. Chugged martini from a bottle after this failure of cocktail.
OK. So who is going to explain the basic error, here?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Palinka wrote:
oldsmartskunk wrote:Martini and tonic huh? Tried it yesterday, out of pure lack of ingredients, didn't like it. Chugged martini from a bottle after this failure of cocktail.
I am the one who confused things. I spoke of the Martini vermouth,

But Mr. Viking said,
Mr. Viking wrote:Following the great tenet of "more is better" I don't know how I never made this before

So, a damn huge Martini with tonic is actually quite refreshing. No need for fruit, but that olive juice is dirty in a nice way if one likes to get their fingers wet

ahem

I mean, in a tasty way

ahem

well, yes, let us have a sip o' the tipple

Cheers!

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Palinka wrote:
Lack of ingredients I guess but as Willies said was just confusion, otherwise I am confused
But:
What`s not to like
failure of cocktail

Even then, it`s your cocktail and you should try to enjoy it as much as possible, you paid for that stuff!. Also when you get drunk from it there is no fail
Drink!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I feel a longing deep inside me. THe time has come once again

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Mr. Viking wrote:I feel a longing deep inside me. THe time has come once again
Deckhands, STOW THE TABLES! There be rough seas ahead.