Lao-Lao

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Lao-Lao

Post by Casual Binger »

Has anyone tried this? It's supposed to be a rice whiskey, but has effects unlike any other alcohol I've experienced. I've only sampled it twice. Each time I had a mere two shots, & both times led to sudden short-term blackouts.

The first time was when I was travelling by slow boat up the Mekong from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai. We stopped overnight at the village of Pakbeng. I found a room, then had dinner, then found a bar down by the river & got myself a Beer Laos. There was a rowdy party of locals at another table who (using gestures) invited me over & offered me a shot of Lao-Lao. I'd never heard of it, but it went down well enough. After a few minutes, since we couldn't actually speak to each another, I enquired (again using gestures) if I could have another. There was some surprise at this, & a brief but heated discussion between one of the women at the table & the guy who was pouring. So, I have another shot, & that's all I remember. I wake up some time later lying on my bed in pitch darkness, needing to take a piss. Trouble is, I've got no torch & the entire village is in darkness as the generator is silent. The toilet is down the hall on the other side, but I don't want to chance fumbling past multiple doors with a straining bladder. I had a water bottle that was about one third full & I considered draining it & going in there, but I knew I would regret this as I was bound to be thirsty next time I woke up, & was anted to have some water handy. So naturally I decided to pee out the window. Unfortunately there was a tin veranda roof right outside & the noise sounded deafening in the silent darkness. Someone started shouting in Laotian so I forced myself to stop mid-stream. Momentarily there was a "please explain" visit, but the guy was really nice & lent me a torch so I could visit the toilet & finish my business.

The second & last time I tried Lao-Lao was a few days later in Chiang Mai. I'd already checked out of my accommodation, left my bag at reception & was having a Singha at a place around the corner - killing time before catching a tuk-tuk to the station to catch a night train to Bangkok. A guy came in, ordered a shot, took it and left. I thought, I should do that. So I did. Then I did another. Again, instant blackout. In the grip of the Lao-Lao I went & collected my bag & found a tuk-tuk to take me to the station. I came to as we were travelling along the main road approaching the station. The odd thing is that while I was still drunkish, I was aware right there & then that I'd experienced a short blackout. My primary concern was that I had no idea how much I'd agreed to pay the driver. It was as though someone had put an eraser through the past half hour or so. Normally for me blackouts are something that I perceive from the next day, I don't just come to in the back seat of a moving vehicle without the faintest idea of getting in it.

Next time I'm n that part of the world I'd like to try doing just one shot & waiting a reasonable period of time to see what the effects are. Then doing another.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Lao-Lao

Post by Mr. Viking »

I must have Lao-Lao
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Wonder what one shot does?

Wait, where's the slow rise? What about the whole seduction thing, the dance with her first, then some nipple kissing, and the arch of her back, then some gentle spanking, and the oral

ahem

dessertation...

ah frig it.

Sometimes, a you meet a pretty lady one moment, and next thing you know, you're covered in sweat and drippings. What happened?
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

mistah willies wrote:
Sometimes, a you meet a pretty lady one moment, and next thing you know, you're covered in sweat and drippings. What happened?
So how was the wedding like? You wet the bed and then...?

Back to topic,
Cool story, Drinking Story worthy I say.
Nice to see you giving it a second try, never trust the first encounter, neither the second and so on
What awesome places you have been to
That blackouts I might only suffer when drinking for days combined with the loss of sleep coupled with sudden sleep for some minutes, you covered that issue of mine pretty nicely
Never had that drink myself, by volume it doesn`t say that much, but eating cactus doesn`t get you loaded the usual way also. Mother nature knows all the tricks, they just need to be explored
More please
Drink!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I'd chug that shit.
I also want to own a tuk-tuk.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:I'd chug that shit.
I also want to own a tuk-tuk.
I'll go halfers on a tuk tuk with you. You can have it mon-thurs, I'll have it friday-sunday. perfect beer run vehicle
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Thats why thisrty is the coolest fucker in town!
Drink!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Casual Binger wrote:Has anyone tried this? It's supposed to be a rice whiskey...
Great story, CB.

So a search turned this up right away. Who needs petrol anyways

I wonder what the ABV is. Like the green fairy, its fearsome effects are probably just very high alcohol content. Byproducts from, shall we say, less than professional distillation techniques could also play a role...

Pour a bottle into a tuk-tuk. If she runs, you've found the "good" stuff.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Raisning a glass to

raising a glass to this solid tale,

and the writer. Laughed my arse off at the sound of pissing on a tin roof in dark and waking everyone the hell up.

Again, want to know what a single shot does. Capt. booznik, you are usually able to purchase such rare finds...

?

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I want to know what a 1/2 pint does. My sister in law is from Thailand. Let the quest begin!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

mistah willies wrote:...Again, want to know what a single shot does. Capt. booznik, you are usually able to purchase such rare finds...
In this particular case, I suspect your local hardware store sells some kind of analogue*... try the paint aisle.

*In Standard American, analogue as a noun is traditionally spelled British-style. Merriam-Webster backs me up on that one. The adjective is spelled analog. I didn't make the rules. However, as language evolves, either spelling has become acceptable. And another thing- ahem. Sorry. Back to drinking.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Patchez wrote:I want to know what a 1/2 pint does. My sister in law is from Thailand. Let the quest begin!
That's the spirit! I figure Chiang Mai is on the tourist trail, so if we can't find anyone who has experimented further, someone must be heading over there at some point. Make not for the islands & beaches - head north to the Golden Triangle. There, amongst the night markets selling Hill Tribe wares, the elephant rides & the smiling teenage hookers, ask about Lao-Lao. I'm curious to hear what effect it has on others. Maybe I'm just a lightweight.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Casual Binger wrote:
Patchez wrote:I want to know what a 1/2 pint does. My sister in law is from Thailand. Let the quest begin!
That's the spirit! I figure Chiang Mai is on the tourist trail, so if we can't find anyone who has experimented further, someone must be heading over there at some point. Make not for the islands & beaches - head north to the Golden Triangle. There, amongst the night markets selling Hill Tribe wares, the elephant rides & the smiling teenage hookers, ask about Lao-Lao. I'm curious to hear what effect it has on others. Maybe I'm just a lightweight.

Indeed.

Sir Patchez is a man of hardened tool. He gets things done. Quest!
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze