Whisk-tea (And Other Cold-Weather Abominations)

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Whisk-tea (And Other Cold-Weather Abominations)

Post by AntonArkydivich »

I need some advice here:

So, back in my bachelor days in a sad, apathetic, little apartment in LA, winter nights would actually get pretty cold with no heater and a little draft. So, I took it upon myself to be the Saint Bernard (the dog, not the man) for me and my chilly roommates. And seeing as I have no imagination and taste buds that have long since surrendered to rot-gut rye and cheap potato vodka, it mainly involved mixing hard liquor with whatever warm drinks we had around the house.

Two drinks especially made it out of those days:

The first is what I called a Smooth Sailer. It's gin and strong green tea. That's it. Add as much gin as you want. Just make the tea, and pour it over the gin when it's finished. Then, just let it sail you right to sleep.

The second is a modified hot toddy. Take whiskey (preferably something thin, like Seagrams VO), and mix it with thick, black tea--English or Irish are my favorites, but it doesn't matter. If you're fighting off a cold, throw in two spoonfuls of honey (added before the tea, to keep it from congealing on the bottom), the juice from half a lime or lemon, and an extra shot of whiskey. Heaven forbid you water it down too much.

I was just curious whether or not anyone else does this, and if they do, is it enjoyable? I actually like this stuff, but then again, I like a lot of crap other people don't. I'm not really the best indicator of "good taste". People generally express some measure of disgust when I mention these drinks (especially the Smooth Sailor), but most people don't have the broad "experience" of the folks on this forum.

Does anyone else do this? Are there good variations I've missed? Am I going to spend all weekend drinking tea and liquor? I really have no clue.

Thanks guys!
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Whisk-tea (And Other Cold-Weather Abominations)

Post by booznik »

AntonArkydivich wrote:Does anyone else do this?
Yes.

Not me, personally. I'm a drinkologist, not a mixologist. But the great thing about booze is, you can do what you like with it.

Just don't spill it or pour it down the drain. That's alcohol abuse.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Havent tried mixing tea & liquor, but hot sake is good on a cold night. I plan to try mixing whiskey with cold barley tea in the near future, because theyre the same colour & i figure drinking out of a tea bottle will be a good way to go incognito on public transport.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

tea and black rum is a classic mix. I imagine spiced rum would also work. In fact now I think of it, rum and coffee, rum and hot chocolate. Rum with anything hot is good. I always forget how tasty these mixes are but I'm too lazy to boil the kettle.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Rum.

you ever use Kraken as a chaser? I mean, in between drinking shots of hard liquor?

you should try that. black rum is like candy, without the schnapps syrup hangover effect.

I want my hangover due to booze, not sugar, not tanins, not methyl or acetone

hey, let's have some rum now. Mix it in a hot pot of rum, and use rum as a chaser.
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I'll have to find the thread later but I usually do a hot buttered rum for Halloween round here.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Ooh, I like the rum suggestions. I've never been a big rum kinda fella, but the sweetness would go well with some tea. A buzz and a sweetener. I finished a bottle of absolute shit honey-whiskey by mixing it with coffee, so that makes sense

Now I just need LA to cool down a little so I don't sweat myself to death when drinking it...
- Josh Ritter

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Patchez wrote:I'll have to find the thread later but I usually do a hot buttered rum for Halloween round here.

Do you offer shots? Or should I line my Trick or Treat pillow case with plastic? I don't want to get my tootsie roll soggy...
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Don't forget to browse through Oggar's list of tea-infused cocktails that he was good enough to provide within this thread.
Patchez wrote:I'll have to find the thread later but I usually do a hot buttered rum for Halloween round here.
I thought that you said that you were going to give The Bullshot a whirl this year...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

*hiccup*

(Edited to add *hiccup*)
Last edited by mistah willies on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Palinka I do plan on the Bullshot for myself and the more adventurous souls. The HBR is for the common folk.

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Been reading up on the Bullshot, and it sounds incredible. Thinking I'm gonna spring that on some unsuspecting Halloween folks tonight.
- Josh Ritter

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

The Hot Buttered Rum was again a HUGE success. The Bullshot was made in much smaller quantities due to the timid nature of most Americans for anything new. I found it to be quite bracing when warm and damn delicious as it cooled. I made a second batch straying from the original Palinka recipe. The additions where pleasant and made it my own. I added a Tbls of real bacon bits and a few dashes of Mesquite liquid smoke to the broth.

Thanks P. this is a new winter warmer for me!