Hooched-Up Hot Chocolate

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

Hooched-Up Hot Chocolate

Post by Palinka (RIP) » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Ingredients

The seeds from two cardamon pods (freshly ground)
2 star anise pods
A pinch of chilli flakes (to taste - optional)
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
Finely grated zest of half of one small, ripe orange
75g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids) broken into very small pieces (a handy tip - place the chocolate into a small plastic bag and place it in the freezer for three hours; after such, remove the bag (with the chocolate inside) and hit it repeatedly with a rolling-pin, meat tenderizer or even a hammer, to break the chocolate into the smallest possible pieces; without making a mess.
400ml full fat milk
100ml Kahlua
200ml vodka (or whisk(e)y)
50ml Amaretto

Recipe

Toast the cardamon seeds and star anise in a frying pan, over a very low heat, for 1 to 2 minutes (no oil required).
Add the chilli flakes (if desired), orange zest and cinnamon and stir gently for another minute, until the zest begins to dry out.
Take the spices off the heat and pour into a mortar bowl and grind with a pestle until it becomes a fine powder.
Add the powdered spices, small pieces of chocolate, milk and booze to a pan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Simmer until all the chocolate has melted and the liquid is very hot.

Drink. Enjoy. Repeat.

Perfect as a late-nightcap, during these long, cool Summer nights. Even better as a Winter warmer.

As usual, would anyone trying this recipe please post their feedback within this thread.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Hooched-Up Hot Chocolate

Post by Mr. Viking » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:53 am

wow, I'm much too lazy for this, I just add rum to powdered hot chocolate. Top tip: use single cream to make a heart attack in a cup
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by oettinger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:40 am

Mr. Viking wrote:wow, I'm much too lazy for this, I just add rum to powdered hot chocolate. Top tip: use single cream to make a heart attack in a cup
Absolutely, to lazy. And the estimated cost of 50 bucks for a selfmade drink is not that enticing.
Great recipe though, but not in the summer, although it`s raining and rather cold outside. You earn a michelin star doing this one by the rules btw
Is it just me or did the boxed bumwine cork a little bit?

JonesSummer
Tippler
Tippler

Post by JonesSummer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:23 am

Mr. Viking wrote:wow, I'm much too lazy for this, I just add rum to powdered hot chocolate. Top tip: use single cream to make a heart attack in a cup.
Guess I belong to the lazy group!
But it seems great for a winter night :)
I'll check if one of my friends feel like doing it :D