Boilermakers

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

Paninaro
Booze Head
Booze Head

Boilermakers

Post by Paninaro »

Ladies, let's talk boilermakers.

Are you a fan of the whiskey/whisky mixed with beer cocktail? Do you prefer the tried and true style of a shot and a beer side by side .i.e. a beer and whisky chaser? If mixing them together, what beer and whiskey/whisky would you choose? Do you like the classic American boilermaker of a cheap lager with a shot of bourbon poured into it, or do you have more exotic tastes when mixing spirits into beer?

I've tried British lager with a Scotch mixed in (reasonable, but better separate), American lager with bourbon mixed in (pretty great) and, of course, the trusty stand by of any beer accompanied by a chaser of whatever spirit I happen to be in the mood for (this is more or less my go to drink order whether at home or out). I've recently decided to popularise Guinness with a bourbon poured into it (it came to me in a dream last week) and will report back this week as to whether this proves to be a winning combination. A quick Google seems to suggest that it's fairly popular amongst you colonials to have Guinness mixed with Jamiesons, but though I love the black stuff I've never been the greatest fan of Jamiesons and find it tastes like the cheapest bottom shelf white label shit and I say that even as a man who has drunk some truly appalling brown liquours which claimed to be whisk(e)y without complaint (though I'd still drink it if pushed because bad whiskey is better than no whiskey, but that's by the by...).

So, what are you preferred spirit & beer mixes?
You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me

Gall4185
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Boilermakers

Post by Gall4185 »

First off,I demand you recant your blasphemy regarding the hallowed produce of John Jameson & Sons.

Now that i've defended my first drinking love,I'll return to the topic on hand. I'm definitely an advocate of the proper boilermaker as an individual drink. Lighter lagers,especially pilsners and american style,work fantasic with a go-to bourbon where they'll balance nicely and still punt you in the liver.

Something a bit hoppier,like an IPA or such,I would go with something with a contrasting flavour profile. An entry level malt can work wonders there,especially one with a bite to it like Glenfiddich or Highland park.

As we go darker in beers,towards stouts and guinness,you'll want to either go full bore for the bite,or pick something to mellow it. I've found an Islay malt or something with a bit of spice to it like Ancho Reyes works well for a kick,but a decent aged rum like Diplomatico Anejo or Chairman's Reserve will be really smooth

Paninaro
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Paninaro »

Gall4185 wrote:First off,I demand you recant your blasphemy regarding the hallowed produce of John Jameson & Sons.

Now that i've defended my first drinking love,I'll return to the topic on hand. I'm definitely an advocate of the proper boilermaker as an individual drink. Lighter lagers,especially pilsners and american style,work fantasic with a go-to bourbon where they'll balance nicely and still punt you in the liver.

Something a bit hoppier,like an IPA or such,I would go with something with a contrasting flavour profile. An entry level malt can work wonders there,especially one with a bite to it like Glenfiddich or Highland park.

As we go darker in beers,towards stouts and guinness,you'll want to either go full bore for the bite,or pick something to mellow it. I've found an Islay malt or something with a bit of spice to it like Ancho Reyes works well for a kick,but a decent aged rum like Diplomatico Anejo or Chairman's Reserve will be really smooth
I shan't be taking orders from a sheepshagger!

Furryboots in Eburdein dae ye hail fae?

Gall4185
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Gall4185 »

Coatbridge. So I'm more of a Weegie in exile

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

Totally following last two last posts.

But boy do I miss Glasgow.

Paninaro
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Paninaro »

Gall4185 wrote:Coatbridge. So I'm more of a Weegie in exile
Not a million miles from me originally then, I'm a Bankie.

Where in Aberdeen are you now? I ken a few loons from that area.

Gall4185
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Gall4185 »

I live and work in the city centre,so pretty handy for everything really

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Did ye two want to get a room? Or we we talking about Boilermakers here?

I very hazily recall posting a Boilermaker thread in some distant epoch of the drink-time continuum. Just as there are countless whiskeys, so too are there countless beers to accompany the preparation. Magic always seemed to happen when we started pressing heavy Belgian ales into duty with good Bourbon at the core of the charge. Then came rye whiskey, American pale ales and an entirely new frontier of boilermakery. And would it really be cheating if you ran out of whiskey and substituted tequila or dark rum? Or would it just be delicious?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Gall4185
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Gall4185 »

Go back and read my second post where I go into about a dozen different combos ;)

I will say that if you're doing a tequila based boilermaker,you probably want something quite citrus forward and refreshing. Several APA's spring to mind,or for a richer drink maybe a chocolate stout

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

J&B dropped into a mug of Michelob. That's really Michelob, not that ultra light crap.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Badfellow wrote:The search function on this board does not bite, you idiots
Amen! I was thinking the same reading the title. Maybe there needs to be a sticky thread in the pub "Charlie don`t search" to remind everyone
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Jameson. Straight. Sipped.

Guinness, shlurpped loudly, then wipe your dammed facial fur.

Bailey's?

Creamy. (Joke about the Mighty Boosh as ye will, funny as all get out)

Now, we Injuns are the oppressed, of course you'd agree.

Howevah,

I prefer the black.

Black Irish Cake. I've renamed it, because it is more apropos. Tastes like chocolate cake. You all know this olde treat.

Half a pint of Guinness or any proper Irish stout.

Half a wee dream of Jameson's, and at the last second, fill the dream with Bailey's, dunk before curdle, and chug.

Damned tasty.

Black Irish Cake.

Amen.

Gall4185
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Gall4185 »

sounds rather akin to the irish carbomb. half pint of guinness,half shot of baileys with Jamesons floated atop and set on fire. I *may* have drank a couple to toast the passing of Dame Margaret Thatcher...

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Maybe it's just my location, but a Boilermaker from Purdue University north is a shot dropped in a beer, otherwhere called a depth charge, at least that's the way I grew up drinking 'em, cheapest Windsor whiskey available with PBR or better yet Buckhorn, or whatever megabrew alcohol flavored liquid called beer and best downed in a single guzzle as you only have a brief time at the bar to slap down a dollar for and get back to the last 4 hours of second shift.

Get me, I'm Gabby Fucking Hayes.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Gall4185 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:40 pm
sounds rather akin to the irish carbomb. half pint of guinness,half shot of baileys with Jamesons floated atop and set on fire. I *may* have drank a couple to toast the passing of Dame Margaret Thatcher...
Nailed it. apologies for the trying to be mindful of Irish and folks naming a drink after the explosive devices.

Now thinking about Jameson's in a Guinness. I'm in Woburn tonight with me Lady, and there is a pub nearby with properly sketchy characters inside. Sounds like home