Searching for a recipe

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Judge

Searching for a recipe

Post by Judge »

On the MDM facebook page I was saddened that my inquiry didn't reap much in the way of suggestions. Here's the situation:

I had a work reason to visit a trailer near a creek in a hollar in mid-Tennessee. Up a long ridge and then a steep decline into the shadowed valley. After concluding my business the son of the client asked if me and my colleague liked whiskey. Spying the mason jars with clear liquid scattered about the living room, I suggested I might have been inclined from time to time to partake a wee drinky.

He (this was a few weeks before New Years) present us each with a jar of "apple pie". It had a cinnamon stick and some other floaters. He stated because he added some flavoring not to open it for two weeks to get the proof back up. His father asked what the proof was. The young tattooed man responded 110. His daddy spat out, "youn never made a 110 proof in yer life!" Not to be shamed in front of stragers, he quickly grabbed a hydrometer and a jar from the same batch but not flavored and sure enough...110!

So, I waited until after New Years, strained the unknown and possibly blindness inducing liquid through a cheese cloth and had a perfectly clear but amber colored jar of hooch. The vapors would start a car, however the taste was as smooth (as the song says) as any Tennessee whiskey you could find.

So my question, using this as a base what cocktail can I make with it that will allow you to get close enough to the glass without burning off nostril hairs but still respect the integrity of the lovingly crafted shine?

Not looking to lower the ABV (that would be silly) and not wanting to over power the base material.

Oh yeah, it wasn't lost on me that I transported that illicit untaxed booze across state lines from Tennessee into Mississippi. Fucking revenuers hope your not monitoring this.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Searching for a recipe

Post by oettinger »

Sour it up. Works always for me
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Best advice is to use the Planter’s Punch formula as a base: 1 part strong (booze), 1 part weak (water or ice), 1 part sour, 1 part sweet.

Bear in mind, these ratios were developed in the days of fiery, "kill-devil" rum that would strip the barnacles off a bumboat. So it should hold up well to a little high test holler water.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Badfellow wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:15 pm
Best advice is to use the Planter’s Punch formula as a base: 1 part strong (booze), 1 part weak (water or ice), 1 part sour, 1 part sweet.

Bear in mind, these ratios were developed in the days of fiery, "kill-devil" rum that would strip the barnacles off a bumboat. So it should hold up well to a little high test holler water.
I've got a recipe for you, PM me, please.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Would it be blasphemy to make a margarita out of buck-ten white dog? Depends who you ask.

Judge

Post by Judge »

Well, as I should have, I went to the local and asked the bartendress. Turns out she grew up in the east Kentucky hill country and has some experience with booze sold in pickling jars. She suggested for a cold day to make a toddy. Hooch, water, tea bags (to steep) honey and lemon. Let it warm in a crockpot for a few hours and enjoy near a fire.

So there's one. But I'm in Mississippi, it'll heat up around here soon. I'm thinking of some kind of juelip
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Extra brisk sweet tea with mint and a little lemon.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Judge wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:57 am
On the MDM facebook page I was saddened that my inquiry didn't reap much in the way of suggestions. Here's the situation:

I had a work reason to visit a trailer near a creek in a hollar in mid-Tennessee. Up a long ridge and then a steep decline into the shadowed valley. After concluding my business the son of the client asked if me and my colleague liked whiskey. Spying the mason jars with clear liquid scattered about the living room, I suggested I might have been inclined from time to time to partake a wee drinky.

He (this was a few weeks before New Years) present us each with a jar of "apple pie". It had a cinnamon stick and some other floaters. He stated because he added some flavoring not to open it for two weeks to get the proof back up. His father asked what the proof was. The young tattooed man responded 110. His daddy spat out, "youn never made a 110 proof in yer life!" Not to be shamed in front of stragers, he quickly grabbed a hydrometer and a jar from the same batch but not flavored and sure enough...110!

So, I waited until after New Years, strained the unknown and possibly blindness inducing liquid through a cheese cloth and had a perfectly clear but amber colored jar of hooch. The vapors would start a car, however the taste was as smooth (as the song says) as any Tennessee whiskey you could find.

So my question, using this as a base what cocktail can I make with it that will allow you to get close enough to the glass without burning off nostril hairs but still respect the integrity of the lovingly crafted shine?

Not looking to lower the ABV (that would be silly) and not wanting to over power the base material.

Oh yeah, it wasn't lost on me that I transported that illicit untaxed booze across state lines from Tennessee into Mississippi. Fucking revenuers hope your not monitoring this.
Maybe lighten it just a touch with some bubbly water, you know, so it doesn't burst into flames
like tears in rain

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I stand by my suggestion on the FB page.

Mule that shit up. Ginger beer with an ABV, lime juice. Simple. Satisfying.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:03 pm
Badfellow wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:15 pm

I've got a recipe for you, PM me, please.
Oh come on, share it with all!
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Badfellow wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:00 am
Would it be blasphemy to make a margarita out of buck-ten white dog? Depends who you ask.
I had one today that had peach juice in it, of all things. Tasted more like tequila and pineapple, to be honest.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Patchez wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:46 pm
I stand by my suggestion on the FB page.

Mule that shit up. Ginger beer with an ABV, lime juice. Simple. Satisfying.
I can't believe I only just found out a few months ago that ginger beer is non alcoholic. Miss Priss looked at me like I was an idiot when I turned it down because my stomach was upset and I said I didn't want alcohol.
like tears in rain

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Savage wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:08 am
I can't believe I only just found out a few months ago that ginger beer is non alcoholic.
I didn't realize that pickles were pickled cucumbers until I was like 30.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^^ HA! I was 25.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »