Hockey!

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bur, ThirstyDrunk, Hardcore Stig

JohnnyT

Re: Hockey!

Post by JohnnyT »

Chimneyfish wrote:
Bay Area Sports: Torture.

Says the fan of the World Series Champion San Francisco Giants.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

The popular saying "Giants Baseball: Torture" was created by Duane Kuiper during a game they won. It caught on as they kept winning games leading up to the World Series. It's not torture because they lose, it's because of the way they win. They're always one-run games that are stressful all the way until the last out. They don't make anything easy. If the Giants and Sharks were losing it wouldn't be "Torture", it'd just be "We Suck".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmWrHHlObcg

JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

well, there's a 75% chance Boston won't win the Stanley Cup.

So we've got that going for us.

which is nice.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Obviously you have to rely on depth when you have injuries, but to already be without Franzen, who is arguably the Wings biggest playoff scorer, and then lose Bertuzzi, and then Cleary, it was just too much for the Wings when they needed scoring.

And I've always hated Hudler, and then he gives our own player a concussion! F.U.

Also, I was listening to the radio before the game and lots of people wanted Kronwall to headhunt Thornton. My friends said the same thing. I said hell no, let him scrap, that's all he does, I want Setagouchi taken out. Then he proved my point by scoring the first goal.

Oh well, another one goal game that could have gone either way. These teams are pretty much equal in my opinion, we just had too many people out and you guys got Clowe back. Great series.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Yeah, but sometimes people talk about injuries affecting sports teams as if they're just a random result of bad luck. Leading into last night's game, one of the major story lines seemed to be "A banged up Detroit team with more experience in these types of situations facing a relatively healthy San Jose team that doesn't have as much history with clutch game sevens." The Red Wings were the oldest team left in the playoffs. The tradeoff for the benefit of having a more experienced team is the risk of more injuries. The tradeoff for a lack of experience is the benefit of a lower chance of injuries. It's just as much an aspect of strategy as anything else.

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Chimneyfish wrote: The tradeoff for the benefit of having a more experienced team is the risk of more injuries. The tradeoff for a lack of experience is the benefit of a lower chance of injuries. It's just as much an aspect of strategy as anything else.
Agreed. Only a few players like Lidstrom can be veteran, old, experienced and rarely get hurt. What it came down to was Zetterberg literally gave up the 2nd goal and the Sharks took advantage. Niemi played awesome and I think the goals for and against were tied for the whole series. No lopside here. Cheers!
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

Was hoping to get the older team Detroit but they couldn't swing it in that last period in SJ. :)

Good luck in the Western Final, Chimney, I'm sure it will be edge of the barstool stuff.

Go Canucks Go!

JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

Chimneyfish wrote:The popular saying "Giants Baseball: Torture" was created by Duane Kuiper during a game they won. It caught on as they kept winning games leading up to the World Series. It's not torture because they lose, it's because of the way they win. They're always one-run games that are stressful all the way until the last out. They don't make anything easy. If the Giants and Sharks were losing it wouldn't be "Torture", it'd just be "We Suck".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmWrHHlObcg

Duane Kuiper played 2nd base for the Cleveland Indians in the 70's. He hit one (1) home run for his entire MLB career.

This has nothing to do with hockey. But you mentioned Duane Kuiper. And I know my Indians trivia.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Yeah but he's the call guy. Most of those guys have never even stepped foot on the field as a player. I wanna see Joe Buck hit a home run. Nobody makes more self-depricating jokes about his career than Kuip himself.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

The gambler half of my brain knows that Vancouver is the best team in hockey right now and should win it all, but the fan half is hoping that a different team decides to choke this year.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

Chimneyfish wrote:If the Giants and Sharks were losing it wouldn't be "Torture", it'd just be "We Suck".
Don't forget the Warriors. When they win, they barely win and it comes down to the wire every time.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

Game 2 tonight. Vancouver is the #1 team, but we are #2. If we win tonight, there is a very good chance of Sharks v. Bruins for the Cup.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

What an ugly loss. I couldn't figure out why the Sharks were taking so many penalties at first but I eventually figured it out

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

Stupid, stupid hockey.
Sharks are never going to win the cup. Stupid.

Mayhems
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Mayhems »

Crystal wrote:Stupid, stupid hockey.
Sharks are never going to win the cup. Stupid.
Maybe once ice occurs naturally in San Jose.