Two Hearted's Fishing Thread

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bur, ThirstyDrunk, Hardcore Stig

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Two Hearted's Fishing Thread

Post by Surreal »

Im trying to finish a 1/5th of Serazac Rye tonight. tomorrow am I hop into an au sable long boat for a float down the holy waters of the au sable in search of trout. Whatever I don't finish of the 1/5th tomight goes into the flask for the float tomorrow.

Damn fne thread 2-hearted. Damn fine thread. Pix to follow
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

On Friday I had a chance to fish one of the most beautiful rivers around here - The au Sable. It was colder than hell and no self-respecting trout would want to be doing anything other than shivering on the bottom of the freezing river, but with a little patience and the correct drift, I was able to get this little guy to bite.

the river itself is gorgeous. Absolutely pristine. And, this time of year. You don't bump into a single soul.

That evening, we decided to cook up a whiskey/bourbon themed dinner with some friends. We started with a Woodford Wilted green salad: Blanched corn, hominy, olives, and chopped red pepper, atop a bed of lettuce and a bourbon infused hot dressing with bacon, bacon grease, woodford reserve bourbon, shallots and sugar.
http://woodfordreserve.com/pdf/Woodford_Wilt.pdf

The entre was a Beef tenderloin that had been marinated in bourbon, cilantro, lemon juice, worchestershire sauce, thyme and brown sugar. We then slow cooked it over raw charcoal and some woodchips that we had soaked in bourbon. The side dish was Bourbon Mashed Sweet potatoes. We mixed cream, bourbon, brown sugar, molasses and a little olive oil and salt. Once we brought that mix to a boil, we blended it in with the mashed sweet potatoes. Good eating.

Desert was a Bourbon soaked Peach Cobbler cooked in the oven in a big iron skillet and served with some vanilla ice cream. Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle ... index.html

We had a nice selection of whiskeys and bourbon. Serazac, Woodford, Beam, George Dickle, and Booker's. I'm gonna go work off the 5 lbs I gained from that dinner by heading to the Muskegon river tomorrow in search of steelhead.
- Hoss

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

Surreal: Nice. Nice baby trout (is that a brown?) and VERY nice menu for the evening. Shit, I need to get out fishing with you guys, if not for the fish, then for the dinner afterwards!!

Here's some I caught from my dock last summer:

Nice (relatively) little pike:

Beauty Jumbo Perch I put back to grow a bit more...

2 walleye, and a Pike. Pike weighed in at 5 lbs even, the larger walleye at 3 lbs...
All three were delicious!

Disclaimer: It is difficult to catch, land and get a pic of the fish when you are all on your own...

Can't wait for spring!!!
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

P.S. Why am I seeing a gorgeous river-scape with a surreal pink sky in your pic?
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

stay off the woodford reserve boys, it's brown/forman.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

I know, I know...... One of my favorite Bourbons is BF distributed Woodford Reserve, but I just can't help myself. It's too damn good.

So was the fishing today on the Muskegon......

- Hoss

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

Beauty Jumbo Perch I put back to grow a bit more...

That's huge!

How big do they get up there?????
- Hoss

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

Surreal wrote:Beauty Jumbo Perch I put back to grow a bit more...

That's huge!

How big do they get up there?????
4-6 lbs....

HA! Actually, that one is up there with some of the largest I've caught on the river. I threw him back because it was slow fishing, and he was the only jumbo I caught that evening. If I had had 3 or 4 more in my live well of death, then I would've tossed him in. If you're going to clean perch, you might as well clean a whole mess of them at once...

And once again, superb fish Surreal!
--Smatter

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Two Hearted wrote:P.S. Why am I seeing a gorgeous river-scape with a surreal pink sky in your pic?
you see it, too?
Surreal wrote:I know, I know...... One of my favorite Bourbons is BF distributed Woodford Reserve, but I just can't help myself. It's too damn good.
this. just...this. i mean, since being enlightened on here, i don't buy it at the candy store anymore...but if it's in a bar, and they don't have anything comprable.... *sigh*

you guys do any deep-sea fishing?
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

Wingman wrote:
you guys do any deep-sea fishing?
Once, it was a blast! See page one for my absolutely huge deep sea catch....
--Smatter

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Not A Fish

Post by Two Hearted »

A pic of me with the family bear:

--Smatter

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Not A Fish

Post by Surreal »

Two Hearted wrote:A pic of me with the family bear:

Whoa....

I thought this was a fishing thread.
- Hoss

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

Sorry Surreal. I did preface the post with "Not A Fish" though.

Since the fishing thread has had such a wild response (HA!) (present company excluded of course), I figured a hunting thread wouldn't round up much enthusiasm either.
That was the bear DH got a few years ago with his bow. After he shot her we both tracked her through the thick brush for quite a while, in the dark. Tracking a mortally wounded bear is quite an experience.

That was the best meat I have ever eaten--bar none, her skin resides on our wall, and the skull is STILL in the deep freezer (waiting to be boiled and cleaned--one of those projects DH will never get around to.)
--Smatter

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

I suppose this qualifies more as "fishing related", but on Wednesday, my Swedish friend Kjell (pronounced, "shell") brought some salmon to the gig which was caught that morning and smoked that afternoon.

OHHH YEEEAAAHHH...!
Attachments
P4080042.jpg
P4080042.jpg (207.49 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
P4080044.jpg
P4080044.jpg (149.72 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
P4080041.jpg
P4080041.jpg (135.19 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

Damn peetite, that looks like some good eatin. I used to serve grilled salmon at my place and it went well for a while but never took off like i'd hoped. Looked about the same as that though, but it was very tasty.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.