Books!

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

Palinka (RIP)

Books!

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I have a library of books on Drunkardism and Drinks. I will try to scan/list them.

What I am proposing is, that I am prepared to send any of my books out, to anyone who is interested enough to read them/it, and will pass the book on to the next drunkard.

What say you? Who's in?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Books!

Post by Mr. Viking »

sounds like fun
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Mr. Viking wrote:sounds like fun
PM me your address (and 'phone number, if you feel like having a drunken conversation, or Skype username) and books, and, just maybe, booze, will be on their way...
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

What are these things you call books?
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Count me in. The books are probably pulp fiction stories. Send them on...
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

I have read 3 1/2 books in the past 2 weeks. I need more books. Please count me in on this.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

binary
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by binary »

This sounds great. I've read a few, but other than the Lost Generation stuff, it's hard to find good writing that has to do with drinking. Could you post a list of what you have?

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

i've never classified my books according to subject like that, except for my booze recipe ones. Now I am inspired to do so. Must the books be about drinking, or can the writers merely be drunks?
like tears in rain

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I'd be interested in reading one of these "book" things. I'll send some of mine along to the next drunkard as well. I would like to know if there are any restrictions or if this is an open book exchange.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

binary
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by binary »

Savage wrote:Must the books be about drinking, or can the writers merely be drunks?
I classify them separately. Hemingway and such are books by drunks (and therefore have somewhat to do with drinking, but it's not the subject matter); there are plenty of "dry" books about drinking itself; Kingsley Amis' "Everyday Drinking" is both.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Patchez wrote:...I would like to know if there are any restrictions or if this is an open book exchange.
Free the information! Send whatever you believe may be interesting with instructions to either return it or pass it on*. Then it is up to the recipient to read it (or not).

I have books about drinking, about drunks, by drunks, pulp (which are good to read whilst drinking) and a slew of other stuff. I will try to get my lazy arse around to scanning them into the machine and then set up a Library topic (unless someone else sets the topic up first) with the list.

* As I mentioned to Mr Viking, privately; there are some books that I am happy to loan out but would like returned (either eventually or between loans) and some that are give-aways that I would be happy to be passed around (hopefully with each drunkard reader making a comment on the inside cover/opening pages) until said books fall apart. I shall make a notation beside each listed book indicating my preference.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I still have Shane's Dentist's copy of Every Day Drinking floating around Finland.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Palinka (RIP) wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 am
I have a library of books on Drunkardism and Drinks. I will try to scan/list them.

What I am proposing is, that I am prepared to send any of my books out, to anyone who is interested enough to read them/it, and will pass the book on to the next drunkard.

What say you? Who's in?
Reading this makes me want to cry and shake my fist at the sky. A wise and generous man, lost to us far too soon.
I'll always miss you, my brother and my friend.

Today we lost a family member, far too young to have gone away. I raise my glass to both gentlemen, not a whiskey of sorrow, but a champagne of celebration, for the world in which they now dwell. May we see the departed ones, but not too soon.
like tears in rain

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

The letters of Charles Bukowski. There's a three volume set published long ago, and then some other collections as more letters were found later.

Bukowski quit his job in December of 1969 to write full time. I went through his letters of 1970 to put together a timeline of how that first year after quitting his job went. In January of 1970 he wrote that he was suicidal. Some friends came by his apartment to cheer him up. In April of 1970 he says that he wrote 35 new poems in two weeks and started a 2nd novel. He also mentioned that he had been writing in a trancelike state and didn't realize that he hadn't even been outside his apartment for days. In June he said in a letter to Neeli Cherry that he wishes he was back in the post office, he bank account was sagging. In July he said that he done more writing that year than in any three years previous, and he closed the letter with this: "All I need is beer and smokes and half a swing and I'm a writer." However, in September he said he was so suicidal he had to hang on to his mattress to keep from going in the kitchen where the butcher knife was. He closes out that first year with a letter in December that said his depressive fits hit after he has been drinking with people. When he drinks alone he feels fine. I also found a letter where he said he liked to drink with Steve Richmond.

The reason I wanted to go through in such detail is because I recently quit my job after 19 years. I'm feeling those depressive fits too, but only in the mornings when I'm hungover. Looking back on Buk's start, it seems like a miracle that he made it. By 1978, he was so successful he bought a house in San Pedro, California. That was 8 years of drinking and writing.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Memory Babe, a biography of Jack Kerouac. Of course I knew he was a hard drinker, but it wasn't until I read this that I knew just how hard. In the summer of 1968 Gregory McDonald was sent to Kerouac's home to do a story on him for the Boston Globe. McDonald said that Kerouac was drinking and average of 14 boilermakers an hour all day long. He said he couldn't believe that no one around Kerouac wasn't helping him, that they couldn't see he was in deep trouble. When the story came out it was about the demise of Kerouac. About a year later Kerouac was dead. One morning Kerouac woke up puking blood, an ambulance took him to the hospital where he underwent emergency surgery and died the next day.