What are you reading?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Bur »

BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:I'm re-reading The Tender Bar. It's a memoir by J.R. Moehringer. His father dies and the guys at the local bar take him under their wing to provide him a collective father figure in his life.
This has been added to my to-read list.

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

Bur wrote:
BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:I'm re-reading The Tender Bar. It's a memoir by J.R. Moehringer. His father dies and the guys at the local bar take him under their wing to provide him a collective father figure in his life.
This has been added to my to-read list.
Ditto.

Reading Cannery Row by Steinbeck for the 4th time in as many years. Always nice to remember the beauty in the sparrows and flowers of our fields.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

I've stopped reading for now because it's freaking me out. Info overload. I'm reading current news and it's really about to be lights out for everyone. A real shitstorm is coming our way on a global basis. Pour another drink and have a pleasant evening.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

On Bullshit by Harry G. Frankfurt.
A nice philosophical look at bullshit.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Bur

Post by Bur »

Reading a book from the Punk Scene of Early nineties in my home town, shit used to be pretty intense. The description of 17 day tour is pretty telling as they didn't even have a bus they just used local transports to get from place to place and often slept rough, while downing a liter of jaeger before each gig + other drinking. The comedown lasted over a week, despite drinking bottle or two of wine and beer every night in order to get any sleep.

Also on the side Bill Bryson's Down Under, I had no idea I had book like this in my possession, must have bought it during hazy summer months.

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Rev. Dead Corpse »

Re-reading The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Algebraist

Banks wove awe inspiring tapestries from his story lines. His characters are massively varied and nothing can be taken for granted about them. Some develop, some stay static, some actually devolve.
<insert something profound here>

Bur

Post by Bur »

Alias story line of Jessica Jones comics. Saw trailer for the show that's airing pretty soon, figured I'd check out what's it's based on. As the next 2 shows after that will be Luke Cage and Iron fist which are characters that I do know but am not awfully hyped for.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

The Silmarillion
I just read this. Or, I just finally finished this. Definitely just for hardcore LOTR fans. I was always under the impression that it was a single, dense narrative, and therefore, was somewhat intimidated by it. It was always referred to as a sort of old testament of Middle Earth. When I picked it up, recently, again, and read the introduction, I realized it was more of a Bulfinch's mythology collection. That made it easier to dive into. It took a while considering I only read it waiting for video game load times or sitting in the WC.

Why did everybody in it have to have at least two different names? "Bob, who was called Josephine by the sons of Tim, also known as they guys from the next block over."
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I had always wanted to pick up a copy of that however, for much the same reasons as you stated, never got around to it. This bears further review. As a reasonably hardcore fan of the trilogy it seems something I should get around to it.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Rev. Dead Corpse »

Metasploit - A Penetration Tester's Guide.

Unfortunately, it has very little to do with coitus...
<insert something profound here>

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Patchez wrote:I had always wanted to pick up a copy of that however, for much the same reasons as you stated, never got around to it. This bears further review. As a reasonably hardcore fan of the trilogy it seems something I should get around to it.
The first chapter/book is very metaphysical and abstract as it deals with Eru and the Valar and their creation. It took some reading and rereading. After that, the chapters/stories are pretty specific and "worldly" and sometimes they are broad exposition. It is worth reading and more accessible than I had thought.

It is more of "here's some stuff I found in dad's notebooks that I have edited" than "here's all the background that you will need to complete your thesis on Middle-Earth." It makes me want to get those History of Middle Earth series of 12 or so tomes, and all of the other Unfinished Tales and such.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Constatine made me aware of the classic Moscow Petushki. The premise sounds enticing, has anyone of you read it?
Drink!

hossthomas
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by hossthomas »

I'm reading The Light At The End by John Skipp and Craig Spector, nothing classy like some of you fine folks. But then again, I'm a sucker for horror.
into each life a little stroh's must fall - surreal

i told my landlord and all the other tenants they could fuck off if they don't like hank- hellbound glory

GrayMouser
Souse
Souse

Post by GrayMouser »

Recently finished the first two volumes of Clark Ashton Smiths collected fantasies,now I'm trying to get into Reamde by Neal Stephenson. I've heard nothing but good things, hope it grabs me soon.

Bur

Post by Bur »

All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr.

Two thirds deep and it's staying excellent. I'm quite confident recommending this already though.