What are you reading?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: What are you reading?

Post by peetie44 »

"Game of Shadows"...about Victor Conte, Greg Anderson, Marion Jones, Barry Bonds and the BALCO steroid scandal. I can't believe the amounts and types of drugs (some, concocted by self-styled "pharmaceutical chemists" and entirely experimental) which the athletes were putting into their bodies.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I'm reading or mostly looking at the pretty pictures, some English home decorating book. She does mostly for rich British rock stars and some such, and her interiors are fabulous.

More than a bit of goth, which I like.
like tears in rain

slipperyyoke
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by slipperyyoke »

Kaputt by Curzio Malaparte

Synopsis: Curzio Malaparte was a disaffected supporter of Mussolini with a taste for danger and high living. Sent by an Italian paper during World War II to cover the fighting on the Eastern Front, Malaparte secretly wrote this terrifying report from the abyss, which became an international bestseller when it was published after the war. Telling of the siege of Leningrad, of glittering dinner parties with Nazi leaders, and of trains disgorging bodies in war-devastated Romania, Malaparte paints a picture of humanity at its most depraved.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Human Devolution by Michael Cremo. It will just blow your mind. It's a Vedic (Hindu) interpretation of Darwins theory of evolution. Cremo made his name researching out of place artifacts which he published in Forbidden Archaeology. Things like manufactured artifacts in rock strata dating from 50 million to a billion years before the accepted date for the dawn of man. He presents his argument that humans have existed on this planet off and on thru the eons rising and falling and forgotten in time to those who discover the remains. He presents the physical evidence then takes on Darwin eventually seeking a proper explanation thru ancient scriptures ultimately defining the model of what a human really is.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Michael Ruhlman's "House"

Where i would have been, if Grumpy had agreed to sell this big pink pile of stucco.
like tears in rain

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'm just finishing up the hundred year old man who climbed out a window and disappeared. Read contact by Carl Sagan recently. It was quite good, but I think he was better at TV than writing novels
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

"Hamlet"

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/

Mainly because I am at work.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Mikhail Bulgakov (Михаи́л Афана́сьевич Булга́ков), "The Master and Margarita" (Мастер и Маргарита), again.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Palinka wrote:Mikhail Bulgakov (Михаи́л Афана́сьевич Булга́ков), "The Master and Margarita" (Мастер и Маргарита), again.
Weird, I just started that today.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

I'm halfway through the Maltese Falcon by Dasheill Hammett.
Mr. Viking wrote:I'm just finishing up the hundred year old man who climbed out a window and disappeared.
That was a great book!
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

kowalski wrote:I'm halfway through the Maltese Falcon by Dasheill Hammett...
Now, that is a great book. I reread, at least, every two years.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

Palinka wrote:
kowalski wrote:I'm halfway through the Maltese Falcon by Dasheill Hammett...
Now, that is a great book. I reread, at least, every two years.
I take it you've seen the film as well? How do you think the two compare?
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

There are a lot of versions.
The 1931, Maltese Falcon.
The 1936 version, Satan Met a Lady.
And the, more famous, 1941 version, The Maltese Falcon; which is the one that most people are familiar with.
And that's without counting all the TV and Radio versions.
To be honest, all of the films that I have listed all have something going for them. However, the book, as any book can, gives so much more. In the end, really, comparing books and film is akin to comparing "apples and oranges" (as the old saw, has it). My best suggestion is to enjoy them all (do seek out the 1931 and the 1936 versions).
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Much to do with Zenarchy and cabbages and such. A big boy made me do it.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Just finished the 'Black Dahlia Avenger' Steve Hodel. Talk about murder mysteries solved, this is total documentary no shit.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.