What are you reading?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by scream ale »

Just about to start on some Raymond Chandler. I checked Collected Stories out of the library. I think I've read some of his stuff before. Probably in that Black Mask collection mentioned above.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Thompson wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:32 pm
He had a famous wife too, no? I like his writing very much. He’s easy to read. He’s fast. The other guy, Chandler is like being stuck in the mud on a rainy night. The Maltese Falcon was first published as a serial in Black Mask Magazine. I have that series in The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories. There were changes of course from the five part serial to the actual novel. Still, good stuff.
Lillian Hellman. They never married though.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Just finished a biography of Hart Crane. Some of these drinking writers were real assholes, but I think Crane was the worst. He once busted up a friend's record collection then tried to throw the Victrola out a second story window. Then he said, "My father's a millionaire! What's yours?" Oddly, the friend forgave him and even invited him back for more parties. Crane was even an asshole when he wasn't drunk. Just a fucking pest. People used to lock their doors and refuse to answer when he came by because he talked so fucking much. For a while he stayed in a boarding house with Allen Tate and his wife. Part of the deal was the three tenants were to help out around the house - chopping wood, cleaning, etc. Crane never did his part. When Allen Tate complained to the landlady about it she just said Hart was a nervous, sensitive type and wasn't able to do the work. One day Allen Tate overheard Crane telling the landlady that Allen Tate's woodchopping left a mess and he got in Crane's face about it. Allen and his wife had to lock their doors so they could work because Crane was always bothering them with endless chit chat.

Put a hold on a Dorothy Parker biography at the library. Can't wait to read it.

Thompson
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Thompson »

You are a master Hugh, I love you.
“Talk is cheap, whiskey costs money.” — Harry Caray

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Malcolm Lowry late of the Bowery his prose were flowery and often glowery he lived nightly and drank daily and died playing the ukulele

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Hemingway bored me but I understand he suffered from ‘the ringing in the ears’ which I have as well. I just didn’t realize in my younger years just how fucking Loud that ringing can get.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Hmm, just looked up Hunter S. Shot himself at age 67. That be my age. In high school I elected a ‘free reading’ course, the first of its kind. My grandma, Grandma Thompson, had purchased and inscribed a note on the first page of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. So I started the ‘free reading’ course with that sucker. Gave a good report, good review, etc. The teacher, an older woman, suggested I read Pilgrim’s Progress next, and report on that. Nothing is ever ‘free.’

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I did however, I think it was a sociology class , play on my geetar and sing Working Class Hero by John Lennon for the class . I got an A on that one.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I’m reading a pamphlet I found in the gutter on the side of the street called something Diets and Health. The first chapter is about hard boiled eggs, then it goes into red sauces and linguine. I’ve never seen this pamphlet before. My guess is it came from that used record store on Magazine Street, Peaches.

Some good health tips, as well as how to say things without sound. I like to read these types of articles.
Last edited by Thompson on Wed May 22, 2024 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now I’m reading an ad in the health pamphlet about this rehab facility. Everybody has straight white teeth so they smile way too much and turn your stomach somewhat.

But what Kills me is their slogan ‘you are not alone.’

I might would consider joining a group whose slogan is ‘I will leave you alone.’

But nobody leaves you alone . Well, they do, but that’s after you cut ties . Burn them bridges baby, that’s what you have to do.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

But you might need those bridges Thompson.

For what? To burn again?
You are out of the Gang! Who are you anyway?

I am a robot who reads this type of shit and replies accordingly.

What they call ya?

Robot. Don’t get your panties in a bunch.

Well, you’re out of the Gang. And you ain’t gettin’ nothing to eat either. So hit the road buster.

Okay, if that’s the way it is. I have feelings too you know. Sometimes I’m the only ‘guest’ browsing your forum. I tell some of the other robots and pretty soon you might have sixty ‘guests’ browsing your forum.

No shit! Well, how’s about making a liquor store run with me? Do you know how to drive the Harley? I’ll get the big saddle bags from the garage.

I know how to drive the Harley, been souped up, ain’t it?

Sure. Be careful ‘round them turns.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

[*]Now I’m reading the sales paper at the Rouse grocery store that begins on Wednesday and runs thru Tuesday. I am here at the Rouse. That’s impossible, I say to myself without sound.

I agree. You got your cane? Jesus, I was certain you were going to fall down and piss your pants and start yelling.

Well, I think I did that. Don’t you record that stuff on the robot gizmo?

It’s a hassle to have to play it back.

Okay, let’s study the Rouse sales in the sales paper. What draws your eye, Robot? Let me remind you that when I run out of money, you do too.

Pick up the Taaka, get the Schlitz, put it in the cart. Now let’s look at produce. The asparagus is still on sale, and they’ve got these dinky looking potatoes for ninety-nine cents a pound. They are apparently designer potatoes.

I like the big fuckers, said Thompson. Are they on sale?

No, said Robot. Let’s see what else is on sale. Oh, mouthwash is on sale, half price, you should get two. Oh, and take a look at this bargain for Charleston Chews. A big ol’ carton of ‘em. We can fit them in the freezer easy enough and then when we get a hankering for a Charleston Chew we just open up the freezer and there it will be. They are much better frozen you know.

I’m with ya, Put that in the cart. Do you see any sales for bologna? I like the thick sliced kind but I can go with the thin because I just take two slices if it’s a good deal on the thin.

By golly, they’ve got the thick sliced on sale. Should we get two pounds?

Maybe just one pound, but we have to get some bread. Any good sales on bread?

Rouses thin sliced pure white spongy sandwich bread is two for one.

Okay, put that in the cart. I’m going to put this stick of butter in my pocket. It’s not stealing, it’s just borrowing.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Hey Ro, mind if I call you Ro?

No, that’s cool, go ahead.

What are you reading?

A fella called Proust. Remembering all the Shit, I think it’s called.

You liar. Nobody reads that, ever.

Well, you are right. I put that book down and am four pages into Gravity’s Rainbow by this weirdo Thomas Pynchon.

Good luck with that!

No kidding.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I ordered Hugh’s novel like I promised. Took me an hour and fifteen minutes to do it. All of my muscles feel like I’m wearing them backwards.