Let's cook, soused or not.

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Let's cook, soused or not.

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Judge wrote:Ok, I had a defrosted chicken in the fridge and was going to go Texas BBQ on it but found this thread. I don't know what the "traditional" receipe is but I found enough to make a go of it. I spent close attention to the "crisp and golden skin" Etienne mentioned. I used flour and paprika to coat the chicken in when browning it. Some instructions don't use flour but most do. I was also conflicted on the use of tomato but most had it. So I used it.

It seemed like a dish best served over rice so I did that. If that breaks some rule I'll live with it.

My family loved it so I am taking the bold step to say I've cooked a French meal and was successful (finding the correct crusty bread was difficult but I did it). I don't know if my interpretation would count as traditional "french" but I'm going to take success where I can find it.

This dish is on the list, I can easily replicate it (or change it) so my thanks to our Franco representative.
With great pleasure, really.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

my speciality is the jam sandwich
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

FNZ wrote:my speciality is the jam sandwich
Caillou's specialty is the jam sandwich as well..

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Okay, an other recipe, this one is seriously drunkard oriented: there are tons of recipes for boeuf bourguignon, but here's mine (easy).

Take two bottles of 4 euros wine, preferably above 11%
Take lots of cheap beef, the chewy/slightly greasy/hard but tasty kind. Cut it in big chunks.
Chop up lots of onions and carrots, chop up a bit of scalon.
Half a reasonable amount of white mushrooms (remove the dirty part of the stem)
Warm up a bit of vegetable oil mixed with a bit of butter in a cocotte or seriously deep pan.
Spread flour on all sides of the beef chunks, throw them in the cocotte and don't burn yourself.
Turn around the chunks for two or free minutes, add up all the chopped up stuff and mushrooms.
Two minutes later, pour one of the bottles of wine in the cocotte, first let boil, then reduce the fire so that it's only slow slow cooking.
Add a glass of water and rosemary, salt, pepper (generously for salt and pepper).
Put a pierced lid on the cocotte.
Now open the second bottle of wine and drink it for the next forty five minutes while it's cooking slowly. Post on a forum to entertain yourself.
Remove the lid, let it very slow cook for an other hour minimum.
The beef has to become tender. Once it's tender, add cream, let it reduce for an additional twenty minutes.
Curse yourself for not having bought a third bottle of wine, remember you have plenty in the cellar, cut the fire, go get an other bottle, open it, get your boeuf bourguignon with a huge spoon, serve with boiled potatoes as sidedish.
Voilà!
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

Damn, that sounds good. I may have to give it a shot this weekend.
Be safe everyone.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I'd rather have "boeuf Bougainville", but getting missionary meat is a hassle.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

I'm working on this as we speak. I noticed there were some typos in the recipe or maybe they were just translational errors. Boozo wrote "vegetable oil" but I believe the phrase he was looking for was "rendered bacon grease". He also wrote "carrots" but I'm sure he meant "not carrots" Because carrots are fucking evil. I also have too much Italian blood in my veins not to include garlic. So I did. Pics later.
Be safe everyone.

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

Be safe everyone.

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
methfront wrote:Sounds good, El Booz.

I've got a rump roast soaking in red wine, black pepper, hungarian paprika and garlic. In a few hours I'll put that sucker in the oven with (moar) wine, some garlic, thyme, marjoram, potatoes and onions. She'll cook at 325°F for 4-5 hours. That's how I roll.
Okay, we need to meet in a kitchen. After that, may our guests have a proper stomach and palate.
Seriously, we need to cook together.
If you two meet in a kitchen, TAPE IT.

That's pay-per-view quality TV, right there.

Seriously, I think this leftover pork chop I'm working on just started to cry...
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

Mr Boozificator wrote:Okay, an other recipe, this one is seriously drunkard oriented: there are tons of recipes for boeuf bourguignon, but here's mine (easy).

Take two bottles of 4 euros wine, preferably above 11%
Take lots of cheap beef, the chewy/slightly greasy/hard but tasty kind. Cut it in big chunks.
Chop up lots of onions and carrots, chop up a bit of scalon.
Half a reasonable amount of white mushrooms (remove the dirty part of the stem)
Warm up a bit of vegetable oil mixed with a bit of butter in a cocotte or seriously deep pan.
Spread flour on all sides of the beef chunks, throw them in the cocotte and don't burn yourself.
Turn around the chunks for two or free minutes, add up all the chopped up stuff and mushrooms.
Two minutes later, pour one of the bottles of wine in the cocotte, first let boil, then reduce the fire so that it's only slow slow cooking.
Add a glass of water and rosemary, salt, pepper (generously for salt and pepper).
Put a pierced lid on the cocotte.
Now open the second bottle of wine and drink it for the next forty five minutes while it's cooking slowly. Post on a forum to entertain yourself.
Remove the lid, let it very slow cook for an other hour minimum.
The beef has to become tender. Once it's tender, add cream, let it reduce for an additional twenty minutes.
Curse yourself for not having bought a third bottle of wine, remember you have plenty in the cellar, cut the fire, go get an other bottle, open it, get your boeuf bourguignon with a huge spoon, serve with boiled potatoes as sidedish.
Voilà!
4 euro wine? A wise guy once told me you have to cook with good wine. It does make a difference.

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

BBoozer wrote: 4 euro wine? A wise guy once told me you have to cook with good wine. It does make a difference.
In my opinion, the golden rule is never to cook with anything you wouldn't also drink (alcohol wise)...
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

kowalski wrote:
BBoozer wrote: 4 euro wine? A wise guy once told me you have to cook with good wine. It does make a difference.
In my opinion, the golden rule is never to cook with anything you wouldn't also drink (alcohol wise)...
which doesn't really narrow it down a whole lot....
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

Wingman wrote:
kowalski wrote:
which doesn't really narrow it down a whole lot....
HA!
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

BBoozer wrote:
4 euro wine? A wise guy once told me you have to cook with good wine. It does make a difference.
He's in France, 4 euros can buy you some hella good wine.
Be safe everyone.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

methfront wrote:
BBoozer wrote:
He's in France, 4 euros can buy you some hella good wine.
Precisely, thanks.