Hot Sauce

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Hot Sauce

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

My god y'all complicate this....

Throw in some red cayenne peppers into blender....

Add some water.and salt....

Blend.

Bam.
Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze!- Withnail

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 pm
My god y'all complicate this....

Throw in some red cayenne peppers into blender....

Add some water.and salt....

Blend.

Bam.
And you have a talent for oversimplification.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Yeah when I make my grandmother's homemade hot salsa, it is waaaaaay more than throwing tomatoes, spices, and jalapeños in the blender. I've been trying to perfect it for years to no avail, but it still comes out okay... it just never comes out the same lol. I swear my g-ma is holding out on some secret ingredient because hers is out of this world. All I know is the jalapeños and tomatoes need to be roasted first. You can also roast red chili flakes in a skillet to make it extra hot but your eyes will burn out of your sockets in the process.
Okole maluna!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:24 am
...I've been trying to perfect it for years to no avail, but it still comes out okay...
Exactly. But you'll keep trying, won't you? And it'll keep getting better.

-

I've been doing hot sauce and anaerobic fermentation on various foods for about fifteen years. Only more recently did I upgrade my gardening game to the point where I had to buy a second dehydrator to keep pace with the harvest.

Growing your own produce is obviously cheaper than buying it, and it also allows you to grow some pretty exotic seed stock in addition to the staple stuff.

Also planning on smoking some green Carolina Reapers that aren't going to fully ripen over applewood. Then dehydrate the pods and reduce it to diablo verde powder in a coffee grinder. Sounds somewhat complicated- and it is- but I love this kind of shit, and fuckers who care can taste the difference.

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

Yea i got a little too simple there...

Um, it's like age the cayenne by stringing them up

Cook em'

Grind em' up with a can of tomatoes, oil, a little vinegar, sugar, and salt

Then jar it. More like that Chinese pepper spread shit they sell but better

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Cook em'

It's all good, Bird. And thanks for elaborating. A DRINK! has been hoisted toward your general, north-south-east-west is best for the nest of a ThirstyBirdy.

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

Badfellow wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 pm
ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Cook em'

It's all good, Bird. And thanks for elaborating. A DRINK! has been hoisted toward your general, north-south-east-west is best for the nest of a ThirstyBirdy.
Much obliged

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I mentioned using up some of garbage plate hot sauce recently and figured I'd contribute my recipe for it in the hot sauce thread. Damn I'm thoughtful. Anyway:

1 teaspoon of oil
1 medium sized onion chopped
at least 2 cloves of minced garlic
1-1 1/2 LB. ground beef
1-14.5 oz can of beef broth (or about 2 cups if you have a very large container of broth. I have also used chicken)
1 six ounce can of tomato paste
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
at least 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of cayenne
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of all spice
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon powdered cloves(I crush about 4 whole cloves)
1 1/2 teaspoons of paprika
2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper
good splash of cheap lager (Genesee, PBR, probably Hamm's)

Fry onion and garlic until soft, add meat breaking it up until it's very fine. Cook meat until no pink remains. Use an immersion blender or dump the meat/onion/garlic mixture into a food processor. When you're done doing that dump it into a large pot. Add broth and tomato paste and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the spices and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Add some water very slowly if you think it's getting too dried out. I like to give it a good splash of beer near the end of cooking time. Even if you're not into making a garbage plate this shit goes good scrambled eggs, home/french fries, burgers and dogs, mac and cheese.

But yeah plates are pretty awesome.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Many thanks Scream Ale for taking the time to share your recipe, and that garbage plate is looking pretty damn good too.

Had no idea what a garbage plate even was until many years ago Tony "Mayhem" of Ro'chacha (R.I.P.) set me straight.

We have something similar in the upper midwest called "hot dish". Instead of a plate, imagine the ingredients being baked in a casserole dish like a lasagne. If you do it right (don't dry it out or make it taste like shit), it's on par with the best comfort food in the world.

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Can someone mention how they get away with charging such amounts for hot sauce? A bottle I wanted was £8! £8! It didn't even contain alcohol.

Also as a sriracha fan, how come I can only get that "flying goose" knockoff on amazon?

F*ck you Bezos!
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 am

Also as a sriracha fan, how come I can only get that "flying goose" knockoff on amazon?

F*ck you Bezos!
I just typed it into my german amazon for fun and there are thousands of the originals
Drink!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

A nice and flavorful alternative to typical hot sauce is Hawaiian chili pepper water. I just made a fresh batch today. It's really simple and great for dipping or drizzling and is used with rice, on chicken, fish, steak, stews, ramen noodles, vegetables, you name it! I also like to sip it from a shot glass like the Hawaiian locals do. It's "onolicious"! Bearing that in mind, it does have a watery consistency, so it's not like drinking straight up Cholula or anything.

In a sauce pan add:
1 cup water
1/4 cup white or rice vinegar
Red chili peppers. The closest to Hawaiian chili peppers (Bird's Eye chilies) are Thai chilies, anywhere from 5-20. I use about 10-15 (I chop some, leave some whole) Did a mix of Thai chilies and a few of the larger red hot chilies.
Garlic cloves 2-5 or so (I chop some, leave some whole)
1 tsp sea salt
Optional flavorings such as ginger slices, a splash of soy sauce, or Worcestershire
Boil for one minute
Simmer for about 15 minutes
Let it stand a few days before using
Keeps in the fridge for a year

Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:38 am
A nice and flavorful alternative to typical hot sauce is Hawaiian chili pepper water. I just made a fresh batch today. It's really simple and great for dipping or drizzling and is used with rice, on chicken, fish, steak, stews, ramen noodles, vegetables, you name it! I also like to sip it from a shot glass like the Hawaiian locals do. It's "onolicious"! Bearing that in mind, it does have a watery consistency, so it's not like drinking straight up Cholula or anything.

In a sauce pan add:
1 cup water
1/4 cup white or rice vinegar
Red chili peppers. The closest to Hawaiian chili peppers (Bird's Eye chilies) are Thai chilies, anywhere from 5-20. I use about 10-15 (I chop some, leave some whole) Did a mix of Thai chilies and a few of the larger red hot chilies.
Garlic cloves 2-5 or so (I chop some, leave some whole)
1 tsp sea salt
Optional flavorings such as ginger slices, a splash of soy sauce, or Worcestershire
Boil for one minute
Simmer for about 15 minutes
Let it stand a few days before using
Keeps in the fridge for a year

this sounds class....like a spicy vinegar? bet it's good on fish and chips.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 am
Can someone mention how they get away with charging such amounts for hot sauce? A bottle I wanted was £8! £8! It didn't even contain alcohol.

F*ck you Bezos!
you live in London mate...you can defo get the real deal.....Go to Chinatown they're basically giving it away.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

benitobeast69 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:43 am
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:38 am

this sounds class....like a spicy vinegar? bet it's good on fish and chips.

YES! EXACTLY what it is pretty much. And brilliant idea with the f &c 's...I will def try that! I've mainly been drinking it cold in a shot glass and it gives me a spice high almost because it's been sitting for months now. It would probably be bad ass a splash of it in a Bloody Mary too. But I do need to utilize it more on food for sure.

This guy paints a lovely picture of Hawaiian chili pepper water for those unfamiliar with it...and his looks amazing.
Okole maluna!