Fish n' Chips

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

What is your preferred condiment for your fish n' chips?

Tartar Sauce
17%
Ketchup
No votes
Malt Vinegar
50%
Squirt of Lemon
17%
Other (please tell us what!)
17%

Total votes: 12

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Fish n' Chips

Post by Artful Drunktective »

mistah willies wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:30 pm
^ ^ ^
We have our own version of fish and chips in bars that have Irish names and proclaim to be authentic. Haddock is my personal favorite white fish, and then Halibut, Cod, and Flounder. Served with malted vinegar, or course, and lovely Guinness.
I did a "search" to see if anyone mentioned malt vinegar with fish n' chips on here, hence why ^ ^ ^ mistah dubya's quote was dug up from here. It was out of mere curiosity (and sheer boredom) to see how other drunkards eat their fish n' chips. I find the malt vinegar is a nice touch to fish n' chips with it's bitter, unique, flavor. Especially with beer!

So the point is, we went looking for malt vinegar at the store, (wearing black vampire teeth masks and all). There were about 8,000 vinegars to choose from but nary a malted one so oett ordered me some from Amazon. So clearly malt vinegar isn't a thing around here because I'm in Germany, where mayonnaise is the main condiment for everything. But I do remember various establishments around the U.S. - Long John Silvers being one - having malt vinegar along with tartar sauce.

Anyway, I was curious as to what the majority prefers. Not that y'all go out eatin' fish n' chips every day, but when you do have that glorious, greasy, crispy, (and healthy!) fried goodness...what must you have with it?
Okole maluna!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Fish n' Chips

Post by oettinger »

Lemon squirt
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Is this for the fish or the chips? Fish is tartar always and fires(chips) get the malt vinegar always.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Patchez wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:09 am
Is this for the fish or the chips? Fish is tartar always and fires(chips) get the malt vinegar always.
Ha! I`d do it the exact opposite way
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Squirt of lemon and a little cayanne pepper for the fish. Malt vinegar for the chips.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Patchez wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:09 am
Good question! I guess I was basing the question off of willies post on how the fish n' chips were served with malted vinegar. Didn't think about what the vinegar was actually for or even distinguishing between the two. In actuality, you are correct Patch because I believe in the U.K., the vinegar was originally meant for the chips and I think I read that the Brits actually prefer some sort of tomato base sauce for the fish. Where's all the drunkard Brits at? Drunkard Anglo? benitobeast69?? What say you!

I like tartar and malt as well...interchangeably.
Okole maluna!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

^^^ When we ordered some at Palinka`s place it came without any sauce or vinegar.

It tasted like shit, esp. the fries sucked. I was passed out on the floor anyway and Mr. Viking devoured most of mine
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Hmmm... Mayo. That's the basis for a lot of things huh. Hellman's is the best; frig salad dressing or Miracle Drip.

Add Dill relish and you get tartar sauce. Put ketchup in tartar sauce and you get thousand island or special sauce for Big Macs.

But malt vinegar? For me: Battered, deep fried fish. I drizzle a few drops on each bite. Tartar sauce when at home. Ketchup for the fries/ chips. It's both idiosyncratic and subjective on how you like your battered fish.

But never, ever ketchup on fish. Don't be loco Holmes!

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Curry Sauce!

This is an accurate image found on the interwebs!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ThZKW
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

I'm down with the malt vinegar cause. But I'm also amazed no one has yet mentioned Tobasco or some other type of sauce with a kick. Or what about wasabi? Won't someone please think of the wasabi?

My point being, we are not bound by the chains of tradition when it comes to condiments. We as free and sentient beings have a responsibility for the condiment choices we make and those condiment paths which we so bravely blaze into the great culinary unknown.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Badfellow wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:28 pm
I'm down with the malt vinegar cause. But I'm also amazed no one has yet mentioned Tobasco or some other type of sauce with a kick. Or what about wasabi? Won't someone please think of the wasabi?

My point being, we are not bound by the chains of tradition when it comes to condiments. We as free and sentient beings have a responsibility for the condiment choices we make and those condiment paths which we so bravely blaze into the great culinary unknown.
I'm down with all things wasabi. Mix it with mayo like an aioli...awesome, we ate ahi poke with it. Fantastic.
Okole maluna!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:55 pm
Badfellow wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:28 pm

I'm down with all things wasabi. Mix it with mayo like an aioli...awesome, we ate ahi poke with it. Fantastic.
That does sound good. You, ma'am, represent the wasabi proper.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:46 pm
Curry Sauce!

This is an accurate image found on the interwebs!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ThZKW
That fish looks absolutely amazing. Sauce is kinda tripping me out but I would give it a whirl.
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

mistah willies wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:43 pm
Hmmm... Mayo. That's the basis for a lot of things huh. Hellman's is the best; frig salad dressing or Miracle Drip.

But never, ever ketchup on fish. Don't be loco Holmes!
Hellman's 100% agreed is the best, no question! Thank Bacchus they have it here.

Also 100% agree - no ketchup on fish - EVER! I didn't even eat it like that as a kid.
Okole maluna!

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Side note - you may be interested in what they refer to as a "Pie Barm", very popular in Northern England's chippies. They put a Pukka Pukka Pie in a soft bread roll sometimes with chips. Its stodgy decadence and it feels a little bit wrong
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.