French Booze

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

French Booze

Post by Badfellow »

I've made this arguement before.

Everything French in regards to booze is over-shadowed by the grasp of the vine. Sure, the wine is fine. But have you ever given regard to a biere de garde? Normandy cider? Or Calvados Pays D'Auge? A simple snifter of rough, resined Armagnac as compared to it's rich Cognac cousins? The green ferry and Django Reinhardt? Of all certainty to kindle the divine madness dweling within our most inner core?

Absolut monde, oui.

I don't speak French.

-
-
-
(post script)
I still need a solid cocktail recipe involving Armagnac or Cognac, Bitters, Red Vermouth and (?).
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: French Booze

Post by MethFront »

1) If you do something sublimely well, why fuck around?
2) it sounds like you just described the cocktail. Throw in a splash of seltzer and you've got some kind of brandy fizz going on... although if it's armagnac you can skip the bitters... that's best left to making clear liquors good liquors.
Be safe everyone.

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by John Barleycorn »

I'm just commenting so that when Mr. Boozificator sees this thread, I'll know what he does.

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Badfellow wrote:I've made this arguement before.

Everything French in regards to booze is over-shadowed by the grasp of the vine. Sure, the wine is fine. But have you ever given regard to a biere de garde? Normandy cider? Or Calvados Pays D'Auge? A simple snifter of rough, resined Armagnac as compared to it's rich Cognac cousins? The green ferry and Django Reinhardt? Of all certainty to kindle the divine madness dweling within our most inner core?

Absolut monde, oui.

I don't speak French.

-
-
-
(post script)
I still need a solid cocktail recipe involving Armagnac or Cognac, Bitters, Red Vermouth and (?).
First of all, Django Reinhardt was Belgian. Now, I'm not saying you said otherwise, but as a Belgian I just have to be clear about this.

Secondly, French booze is not exclusively about wine. A fine meal does/can include Calvados, in fact some of my french colleagues make their own calvados and they're very proud of it. Then there are the many eaux de vie, which are made from anything but wine. In France, they are called 'marc'. Again, when you are going out for dinner the right way in France, having a 'marc' (marc de bourgogne, marc de l'alsace,...) would not be a bad move at all.

Thirdly, about the cocktail you propose... are you really proposing to rape the armagnac or the cognac? (excuse my french)

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Back @2008, I was given a bottle of Amorik (French) single malt whisky. Unfortunately, at that time I had a number of older (Scotch) singles on hand and the Amorik suffered somewhat by (possibly snobby?) comparison. However, seeing as how I finished the whole bottle in a short time, it must've been decent.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

BBoozer wrote:
Thirdly, about the cocktail you propose... are you really proposing to rape the armagnac or the cognac? (excuse my french)
Man, who took a shit in your frites this morning?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Cocktail with good Cognac or good Armagnac, shall normally get you beheaded all over france. It would be like saying: "I definitely should mix this eighteen years old Laphroaig with orange juice" in the heart Scotland.
Now, people mix bad Cognac with grapefruit juice and indian tonic. Honestly you don't need Cognac for that, you might as well buy an alcopop and pretend you're a sixteen years old girl.
As for Armagnac, the only "cocktail" I have ever had is Floc de Gascogne: you mix young Armagnac with fresh grape juice, then you let it sit in a cellar until the end of winter before filtering and embottling. Let it rest another ten month and you should be good.
Ok, it's a "cocktail" with a rather long preparation but it is certainly very good. Plus we all know you prepare all sorts of things home. This might be an idea.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Mr Boozificator wrote: indian tonic.
like, subcontinent of, or native american?

okay, googled it myself. i will now ask for this in every bar i go to, just to annoy the bartenders.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Although I'm open to new ideas, frankly I'm not a big fan of cognac. I like Irish, American and Scottish whiskey, in that order.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Sorry to necro a zombie post but I've been bored in my free time and love going back through old posts. So expect theses from time to time. At least with the threads I find I can't keep my finger still. Also when I've been drinking.

Aside from what seems like a bit of snark these guys have a point. One that France is more than wine. Two that they do wine at a level to be sought after. I for one would like to explore this further.

To that end I am going to pick a booze that strikes my interest from the former posts. The Normandy cider intrigues me for several reasons, not the least of which is I like ciders and so does the wife. Secondly is I live in Apple country in PA. So I'm going to explore it as a class of booze. My hopes is that this research will lead me to wonderful and drinkable examples of this type of booze. Broadening my booze horizons. I will alos report back any new booze, or new to me, facts and assumptions and styles as I find them.

I would encourage anyone reading this to do the same.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Resident Asshole wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:00 am
Although I'm open to new ideas, frankly I'm not a big fan of cognac. I like Irish, American and Scottish whiskey, in that order.
I agree. But I kind of like bourbon just a little more than Irish whisky.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

^ ^ ^

Saw what you did there. Bringing it back to the title of the thread. Well done.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Try the Calvados then
Drink!

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

I’m partial to pastis on a hot day, certainly one of france’s best exports.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

gede wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 am
I’m partial to pastis on a hot day, certainly one of france’s best exports.
With ice cold water, yes it`s refreshing
Drink!