Tell me what to drink

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: Tell me what to drink

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

The above mentioned advice is valid, but here's some more pointers: Don't be afraid to experiment! Say you're curious about bourbon. Dedicate a weekend day, night, or if you've gotta work during the weekend, your day or night off to it. If you do most of your drinking in bars, check out the selection, order a shot of bourbon (just "bourbon," that would be what's known as "well" bourbon) and something to clean your mouth out (not beer or other kinds of liquor). Make sure the shot's either neat, or with just a couple of ice cubes. As you drink it, make some mental notes about the taste, then eat or drink the palate cleaner. After a few minutes, order another shot of bourbon, but make it another brand. Some people start from the top shelf with the pricier brands and work their way down, some start with the cheaper stuff on the bottom shelf and work their way up. If your budget's limited to say, three shots, pick one from the top shelf and one from the middle shelf (the well shot you started with more than likely is bottom shelf material). If you think all three shots are lousy, at least you know you don't like bourbon, so you can experiment with something else next time. If you've got a clear favorite out of the three or more, congratulations, you've got "your brand" of bourbon , but make sure you've got a second or third choice, since every bar might not have your first choice. You should also go to the liquor store and get different brands of bourbon in either 50 ML "airplane" or "shooter" bottles (they've got 'em for most brands, even some top shelf ones), or somewhat bigger 200 ML bottles (you might want to try each brand both straight and "on the rocks"), and a shot glass or two. With 50 ML bottles, even if you've found some brands that taste like horse piss, you've already emptied them, or if you still have enough lousy booze in 200 ML bottles, just give them to those bums outside the liquor store (you don't want to pour booze down the sink). Repeat the process with Scotch or Irish whisk(e)y, rum, (but stick to the bar with rye; I still can't find even 200 ML bottles of it in the liquor stores), even gin and whiskey (if you can't stand it straight, you might not like it with anything else, either).
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

Dammit, that last part shoulda been gin or vodka, but it's still valid.
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Zippy
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Zippy »

Rye. You can start with Old Overholt. It's cheap and clean so you won't get a bad hangover.
You can drink it neat, with ginger ale or you can get some Angostura bitters and sweet Vermouth and make Manhattans.
Stick with the old man and you can't go wrong.
It's always a good day to get ripped!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

NightShiftCharlie wrote:The above mentioned advice is valid, but here's some more pointers: Don't be afraid to experiment! Say you're curious about bourbon...
That is a great Introduction To Booze essay! (No, not calling you a Hispanic, although there is nothing wrong with being Hispanish)

Nicely done, indeed
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Erm...A lot?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

What part of Canada? I remember when I was in Calgary I found an Irish pub where I could get 15 yr. old whiskey for under $5, it was literally almost as cheap as buying a bottle and drinking at home.

Anyway, drink whiskey! I don't care if it's scotch, canadian, bourbon or irish. Whiskey. I actually drink more vodka these days but my tastebuds love the whiskey if you start out on it young.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Wingman wrote:all of it! ALL!!!
Listen to him. Then listen to this.
Cheers from,
Your friendly neighbourhood moderator.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Wolfcoat
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Wolfcoat »

Boilermaker, you will like it you are a beer guy.

Gin and Tonic - I feel like Kipling in India when I have these in the hot summer.
Here's to us, and those like us.
Damn few of us left.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Wolfcoat wrote:...Gin and Tonic - I feel like Kipling in India when I have these in the hot summer.
That's because Indian Tonic Water was the World's first "mixer"; the quinine content was supposed to stop the imbiber from getting malaria, and what better way than to offer it as a mixer, to make a long drink (with lemon or lime, to prevent scurvy)?
ドロンケン
ImageImage