making booze

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, One for the Frog

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: making booze

Post by Mr. Viking »

gave up on building my still, just bought a knock down kit off ebay for £92, with distilling instructions and everything. Roll on summer
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

zimne_piwo
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by zimne_piwo »

I recently found a supply of molasses for $2/gallon, so I'll be making rum for a while. Lately I've found Pyrate rum, which kicks Sailor Jerry's ass up and down the block. Not knocking SJ, SJ is excellent. No doubt about it. But Pyrate is so much better there is no comparison. I'm shooting for Pyrate, but will probably wind up with Cruzan black strap for a while. We'll see. I'm going to follow Pugirum's recipe and see what happens. I'll give it five generations to see how the rum oils and dunder work their magic before I pass judgment.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Took a big leap yesterday and bought a brewing tub from my local brewing shop. Having had mixed results brewing in bottles I thought I would see if spending £20 on a tub with a special lid would help. 25 litres of apple juice and cider yeast pitched in today, and into my wardrobe, so I'll see what I get this time
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Mr. Viking, I think you'll find having a proper fermenter with an airlock on it to be a big leap forward in your brewing ability. Just remember to let things setlle for a good three or four weeks after the aggressive part of the fermentation process if you are just using a primary and no secondary.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I still think Early Cuyler 'splained it best.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

bought a pressure barrel off ebay for when I make beer. Will probably bottle the cider in a week or too as it has a very long, cold fermentation. Probably have to leave it a few months (like that will happen) to mellow once it's bottled. Look's like it will be coming out at 9-10% abv

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I had about 5 pints of cider without bottles. I poured it into a jug and drank it. Things happened. I woke up back at home

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Mr. Viking wrote:Things happened.
Yada yada yada?

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Man i brewed beer for 20 yrs or so and i tius great just to drink somthing that you brewed. I used to bottle my shit in 2 liters. They were great for parties. we had a few that went over well. One was called "race brew" we took to the drag races i used that recipe 4 years straight. i still have all the shit to do a 6 gallon batch i just need to stop being lazy drunk

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

my mum threw out all of my dad's brewing stuff because it was "dirty", so I had to buy new stuff. Worse than that, she threw out his fucking beer crown

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

well, my cider was laid up to drink in the spring after aging. It is very fizzy, with notes of alcohol on the palate. I have found that, taken in sufficient quantities it can be seen to induce all of the effects of drunkeness

Zippy
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Zippy »

Zippy makes good booze!

Mostly Absinthe. I also LOVE Old Overholt!
It's always a good day to get ripped!

zimne_piwo
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by zimne_piwo »

The rum turned out crappy so I'm back to sugar washes and shine. Well-made shine is good! I'm glad that in my experimentation with rum I found a great way to get a sugar wash to go from boil to dry in two days. With my new work schedule I'll be able to boil up a batch, leave it sit until it's time to distill, run it off, and set a new batch to ferment and settle while I travel. Output should be enough to keep me in $1.50/fifth shine at about 120 proof. More than enough to take care of me, possibly enough to age on oak. We'll see how it works out.

Right now I typically pull nine quarts off a batch. The first half a quart goes into toilet cleaning supplies, disinfectant, and some into the camping alcohol stove. The next quart goes into the Junk jug. Then I get four quarts of quality shine. Then a gallon of swill that goes into the Junk jug. That gives me about five fifths to drink. Once I've got ten gallons of Junk, I do a short batch of sugar wash and add the Junk. Slow and cold, refluxed, I get a nice clean run of six total 140 proof quarts that are very nice and a little crap to toss and start it over.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

zimne_piwo wrote:The rum turned out crappy so I'm back to sugar washes and shine. Well-made shine is good! I'm glad that in my experimentation with rum I found a great way to get a sugar wash to go from boil to dry in two days. With my new work schedule I'll be able to boil up a batch, leave it sit until it's time to distill, run it off, and set a new batch to ferment and settle while I travel. Output should be enough to keep me in $1.50/fifth shine at about 120 proof. More than enough to take care of me, possibly enough to age on oak. We'll see how it works out.

Right now I typically pull nine quarts off a batch. The first half a quart goes into toilet cleaning supplies, disinfectant, and some into the camping alcohol stove. The next quart goes into the Junk jug. Then I get four quarts of quality shine. Then a gallon of swill that goes into the Junk jug. That gives me about five fifths to drink. Once I've got ten gallons of Junk, I do a short batch of sugar wash and add the Junk. Slow and cold, refluxed, I get a nice clean run of six total 140 proof quarts that are very nice and a little crap to toss and start it over.
I make rum it's always rough, but I'm not sure if that's the still or me. I think that rum is simply a force of nature.

Off of the distilling point, the porter I put in a barrel before christmas has got those liquorice notes they mention on fancy dark beer bottles, Pity it's not very strong

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Now I've finished my silly, low alcohol porter I have nice srong christmas cider in my pressure barrel