Single-malt scotch suggestions

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Single-malt scotch suggestions

Post by mediakill »

Just got a bottle of glenlivet and was wondering if anyone had any comments/ suggestions on single-malts to add to my collection. thanks

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Oh, so many to add. Lately, I've been drinking a lot of Talisker 10. I'm also a big fan of the Dalmore Cigar Malt, and Glenfiddich 12 year. My best advice: get a bottle or two from each of the different regions. That will give you a good idea as to what you like. Then, you can go wild exploring that area.

Leftboston
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

The Dalmores are good and not pricey at <$30. I like the Balvenie Doublewood and if I have $75 to burn, the Balvenie 21 yr Portwood is excellent. I like the scoth flavors from wine casks so sherry or port woods are my favs. The Taliskers and Laphoigs are more smokey. I think the Glenlivets and Glenfiddich's and Glenmorangies are OK but overpriced for their name.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Oban.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Post by ***** »

Second the Oban. Bunnahabahain and Aberlour are personal favorites. Single malt is such a broad category that you may want to be more specific as to your preferences: Highland, Lowland, Islay, Speyside, etc. There are several planes of flavor to consider regarding finer Scotch.

Leftboston
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

Oban is yummy. Dahlwhinnie is also along that same vein

mattgrowler
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by mattgrowler »

I like smokey so Lagavulin is my favorite, followed by talisker and bowmore. Great stuff if I have the money. If not I just mix cheapo-blended with soda or amaretto (AKA a "Godfather"). 'Cause hey, we all gotta get bent on the cheap every now and again.

Leftboston

Post by Leftboston »

I like a nice cheap plastic bottle of scotch with soda now and then.

greatzot
Tippler
Tippler

Post by greatzot »

Ardbeg 18 year old, baby a meal in a glass, so peaty and smooth you need a knife and fork.
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
--Albert Einstein

mr.dirty pants
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by mr.dirty pants »

Laphroaig. It will set you back a few but it will never let you down.

Dandyshanks
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Dandyshanks »

From my 3 months living in Scotland I'll say that my favorite was Edradour. That is some delicious stuff. Also, it's the smallest distillery in Scotland. Man...I need to move back to Scotland. *sigh*
Breaking Hearts and Breaking Guitars

headlessparrot
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by headlessparrot »

I'll second the Talisker 10yo. One of my roommates and I carefully plan our single malt purchases so we can try as much as possible, and that is definitely the tastiest we've tried so far.

Other good ones, though:

Highland Park 12yo (a good all-rounder, though nothing spectacular)
Glenmorangie 12yo Port Finish (quite, quite good, though its probably worth trying the standard Glenmorangie expression first)

The girlfriend recently bought me a bottle of The Balvenie 12yo Doublewood. It's good... as most single malts are, but I'm not totally sure if I've come around to it as much as I have the Talisker or Glenmorangie. The Glenlivet's a good marker for single malts, but pretty unimpressive on the whole. And that... that's the sum of my single malt experience.

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:Second the Oban.
I third the Oban. There's nothing quite like a 14 year old.....

Scotch.

It sits squarely between a Speyside such as Glenkeith, and an Islay like Lagavulin or Laphroaig.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Plowedboy
Souse
Souse

Post by Plowedboy »

Highland Park 18 is about as good as widely available (non Islay) single-malts get. The 12-year old is great, too.

mattgrowler
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by mattgrowler »

mr.dirty pants wrote:Laphroaig. It will set you back a few but it will never let you down.
That stuff is really good. I'd put it up there with my favorites but it's not salty like Lagavulin---that stuff, Jesus, it's like tasting the very sea it was aged near. Absolutely amazing. Too expensive, so it's only for when times are good.