Single Malts whisky... Where to start?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

BAD LIEUTENANT
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Single Malts whisky... Where to start?

Post by BAD LIEUTENANT »

Outside of Glenlivet I never have drank any. I have some free time anda little bit of cash so would like to spend the time sampling some. Any ideas of where to start? Is it true you should drink single malts out of a tuliped shaped glass. Thanks
"I may not be a God, but surely I am a King!"

Keith Richards

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Single Malts whisky... Where to start?

Post by Bluto »

BAD LIEUTENANT wrote:Outside of Glenlivet I never have drank any. I have some free time anda little bit of cash so would like to spend the time sampling some. Any ideas of where to start? Is it true you should drink single malts out of a tuliped shaped glass. Thanks
Go to liqour store and pick up a few bottles. try some whiskey's from different regions. I enjoy, Ggelenfiddich, Dalmore Cigar Malt, Taliskar 10, and just about anything from Dahlwinnie. Best of luck, and welcome aboard.

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

Scroll down about 20 posts. Many pearls of wisdom there.

Cheers.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Malkor
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Malkor »

I like Glengoyne, comes from a distillery near loch lomand. and yes if you ever visit a scottish distillery the samples are usually in tulip shaped glasses, not sure about other nations sampling habbits

Leftboston
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

Malkor wrote:I like Glengoyne, comes from a distillery near loch lomand. and yes if you ever visit a scottish distillery the samples are usually in tulip shaped glasses, not sure about other nations sampling habbits

There is a show here called the Thirsty Traveller and the tour of Scotland distilleries showed they sampled the hooch in tulip shaped glasses. I usually use a small tumbler.

BAD LIEUTENANT
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by BAD LIEUTENANT »

junkman wrote:
Malkor wrote:I like Glengoyne, comes from a distillery near loch lomand. and yes if you ever visit a scottish distillery the samples are usually in tulip shaped glasses, not sure about other nations sampling habbits

There is a show here called the Thirsty Traveller and the tour of Scotland distilleries showed they sampled the hooch in tulip shaped glasses. I usually use a small tumbler.
I am using a tumbler and a bottle each of Talisker and Dalmore to start. i might try a brandy snifter as well. Iheard that adding a small amount of water unlocks some flavour so will try that as well. Thanks everyone for the link and suggestions.
"I may not be a God, but surely I am a King!"

Keith Richards

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

BAD LIEUTENANT wrote:
junkman wrote:

I am using a tumbler and a bottle each of Talisker and Dalmore to start. i might try a brandy snifter as well. Iheard that adding a small amount of water unlocks some flavour so will try that as well. Thanks everyone for the link and suggestions.
An excellent start! The fluted glasses are used to help concentrate the aroma of the liqour. A brandy snifter will do much the same. Let us know what you think of your two choices.