need advice...

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

bob robertson
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

need advice...

Post by bob robertson »

a buddy of mine and i want to get a bottle of the green stuff. since yall have a billion trillion times more experience with the faerie and im too fucking lazy to look anything up, hook a fat, bitter, decrepit, old man up with the skinny.

price really isnt an issue. product with the highest thujone content (or is that a good thing)? best import company? wtf, over? whos had good luck with what, where and how.

we need a good spoon and some glasses i reckon?

how long is a bottle going to last a pair of highly unmotivated buffoons? a full night? a half night? should we buy 2 bottles?

if i rip a fat rail off of a strippers ass before i chug some green, will it enhance or hinder the experience? if theyre real and not silicone...will that matter?

if shmernie teabags the prick at exactly the same time as i have my first drink, will that cause a temporal rift?

thanks,
baron grimace vonhornbuckle
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." - W. Somerset Maugham

"When you are arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing." - Anonymous

"if your dog is fat, you arent getting enough exercise". - anonymous

"Woe is fucking you...." judge

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Mountainmanmao seems to have a good knowledge of the synth. Shoot him a PM.

When you finish the bottle and cut off your ear lobe, remember to take pictures.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

bob robertson
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by bob robertson »

roger wilco.

thanks boss.

the hell with the rest of you...or at least purgatory.

we still need to ambush mjm
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." - W. Somerset Maugham

"When you are arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing." - Anonymous

"if your dog is fat, you arent getting enough exercise". - anonymous

"Woe is fucking you...." judge

Bender!
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Bender! »

Alcoholic is a medical term, Drunkard is a lifestyle. ~ Junkman.

Lushlife
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Lushlife »

I bought a bottle of this and it's "okay" in my opinion, but a little overly herbal in taste (and not in terms of anise but other herbs...couldn't even really taste any anise) and doesn't louche for shit. I recommend these: http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html I have had both the Edouard 72 and Nouvelle-Orléans. Both are very good in my opinion, though I think I prefer the Edouard 72 a little more (and the alcohol content is a bit higher). You'll be hard pressed to find a negative review on any of the Jade Absinthes I believe. I think that Rooster has had the Edouard 72 and found it quite favorable. This buyers guide might help you decide: http://www.feeverte.net/guide/archives.html

Gregarious Boy
Souse
Souse

Post by Gregarious Boy »

I had some with a picture of Van Gough on the bottle and it had shit floating around in it and it was pretty good. Can't say I hallucinated or not, hard to tell when you are smashed. Think you might be better off just buying a bottle of Rumpelminz and some shrooms. Might be cheaper too.
"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us"

- Charles Bukowski

Lushlife
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Lushlife »

Gregarious Boy wrote:I had some with a picture of Van Gough on the bottle and it had shit floating around in it and it was pretty good. Can't say I hallucinated or not, hard to tell when you are smashed. Think you might be better off just buying a bottle of Rumpelminz and some shrooms. Might be cheaper too.
hahaha. Sounds like what you had GB was King of Spirits.

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

ItsAWonderful(lush)Life wrote:
I bought a bottle of this and it's "okay" in my opinion, but a little overly herbal in taste (and not in terms of anise but other herbs...couldn't even really taste any anise) and doesn't louche for shit. I recommend these: http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html I have had both the Edouard 72 and Nouvelle-Orléans. Both are very good in my opinion, though I think I prefer the Edouard 72 a little more (and the alcohol content is a bit higher). You'll be hard pressed to find a negative review on any of the Jade Absinthes I believe. I think that Rooster has had the Edouard 72 and found it quite favorable. This buyers guide might help you decide: http://www.feeverte.net/guide/archives.html
The Jade was delicious.
However! My second shipment got seized and when I emailed the distributor, I wasn't very satisfied with his answers or options. I was refunded the money, but I didn't get a warm and fuzzy about buying from them again. Unfortunately they're the only distributor for Jade, I believe.

Very popular absinthes are Kubler and La Clandestine (which is blue interestingly enough) for every day drinking. Where you would go through the ritual of cutting a full strength absinthe with water and sugar, these can be consumed neat.

I've found a really good distributor for these but won't advertise them here, as it sorta fucks over FKR and the magazine by openly cockblocking their advertisers.

Absinthe Of Malice
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Absinthe Of Malice »

The Jade products are exquisite. If on the other hand you are looking for "value" absinthe and want to maximize the bang:buck ratio, I often grab for the Kubler 45 (the higher proof one tastes like furniture polish) and the Spanish (Segarra 45, LaSala) are my cheapie faves.

If you believe the hype that thujone will make you see fairies, then drink gasonline and drop some acid: it's cheaper.
DRINK!
RIP Bill, aka mistah willies

Absinthe Of Malice
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Avoid the Czech stuff (King of Spirits et al) unless you have to thin some paint. And Bettina sucks, don't do business with her...

BTW last I checked Moonman was limiting production for only his prior customers.
DRINK!

Lushlife
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Lushlife »

Absinthe Of Malice wrote:Avoid the Czech stuff (King of Spirits et al) unless you have to thin some paint. And Bettina sucks, don't do business with her...
BTW last I checked Moonman was limiting production for only his prior customers.
I've never done business with her, but just curious as to why she sucks.

FearNoBeer
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: need advice...

Post by FearNoBeer »

[quote="grimace308"]a buddy of mine and i want to get a bottle of the green stuff. since yall have a billion trillion times more experience with the faerie and im too fucking lazy to look anything up, hook a fat, bitter, decrepit, old man up with the skinny.

price really isnt an issue. product with the highest thujone content (or is that a good thing)? best import company? wtf, over? whos had good luck with what, where and how.

we need a good spoon and some glasses i reckon?

how long is a bottle going to last a pair of highly unmotivated buffoons? a full night? a half night? should we buy 2 bottles?

if i rip a fat rail off of a strippers ass before i chug some green, will it enhance or hinder the experience? if theyre real and not silicone...will that matter?

if shmernie teabags the prick at exactly the same time as i have my first drink, will that cause a temporal rift?

thanks,
baron grimace vonhornbuckle[/quote]

Yes yes, I think they left out the wacko stuff out of it long time ago...I can buy some at my local liquor store...the main point is: how should we drink it? straight up? sounds good...answers please...

Absinthe Of Malice
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

ItsAWonderful(lush)Life wrote:
Absinthe Of Malice wrote:Avoid the Czech stuff (King of Spirits et al) unless you have to thin some paint. And Bettina sucks, don't do business with her...
I've never done business with her, but just curious as to why she sucks.
She's overpriced, full of herself, fosters the misinformation about the stuff, is a liar, a cheat and a weasel. Register at FeeVerte for the full report.
DRINK!

Absinthe Of Malice
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: need advice...

FearNoBeer wrote: Yes yes, I think they left out the wacko stuff out of it long time ago...I can buy some at my local liquor store...the main point is: how should we drink it? straight up? sounds good...answers please...
The stuff sold domestically has no Artemesia Absinthium and frequently a lower proof. And it's not as good as some of the stuff from abroad you can order online.

The "wacko stuff" is thujone, which is the regulated substance in absinthe. And it doesn't have much if anything to do with the effects of absinthe. Think about Jaegermeister and the buzz that comes with all that herbalicious goodness; there's no Artemesia in that (and therefore no thujone) yet it makes one do some strange things sometimes....so TJ content is irrelevant.

If you are going to have any but a few (Clandestine, Jade's Edouard) you need to drip cold water into them slowly until the entire drink takes on a milky cloudiness. Clandestine and Edouard can be sipped neat. My standpoint on it has always been that if you are looking for some hallucininogenic effect, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a unique buzz and a lovely clear lucidity in your buzz, then this is the stuff.

It's analagous to sippin' whiskey versus moonshine: both will get you there, but the rides are different. So absinthe is not a "pound it 'til you can't see straight" sort of drink, although perfectly pleasant in huge quantities.

As for preparation, if you go with one of the really nice ones, the ratio works out to about 1:2 or 1:3 and I don't tend to add sugar. If you are drinking something with a bitter note and don't care for it, drizzle your ice water over a sugar cube or two. The whole room will fill up with a lovely floral anise and fennel smell when you get it right.

Don't do the Czech fire ritual: it's bullshit, it's dangerous, it's not traditional and the slightly bitter burnt taste of the sugar doesn't actually bring anything to the party.

You don't need a special glass or spoon or fountaine or water pitcher; they are nicities but not necessities. When I first started out, I perched a slotted spoon or the tines of a fork over an IKEA wine goblet to prepare my green juice. Now I usually use a speed pour in a winebottle full of ice water to drizzle my water. Sometimes I will take a shaker full of crushed ice, add a few ounces of absinthe, shake, strain and pour into a glass (I'm still using the ones from IKEA). As the absinthe warms the scent and taste blossoms and opens into herbaliciousness.

Sorry for going on so long and wazing poetic, but it's really my thing.
DRINK!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I'm still stuck at the Schmerm/Prick thing. Let me get back to ya.
like tears in rain