Your Booze Review: Templeton Rye Whiskey

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Your Booze Review: Templeton Rye Whiskey

Post by Badfellow »

There's an old standing joke: the best thing to ever come out of Iowa is Interstate 35.

Then along came a Rye to help assuage my Iowa biases, and from a most unlikely place, that of corn-based hell itself.

Templeton Rye
"Prohibition Era Recipe" Single Barrel Rye Whiskey
*Produced and Bottled by:
Templeton Rye Spirits, LLC, Templeton, IA
*80 proof/ 40% alcohol by volume
*Approx. $29.99 per fifth/750 ml

Batch:1, Barrel:41, Bottle:275

Quite seriously, for a five year, this rye rivals Canadians and Kentucky-exchange blends that are three or four times it's age. Everything you'd want in a rye: bright and crisp, mildly sweet. The finish is smooth, but there's enough honest warmth to keep the flavor of the liquor lingering after a sip. I would have applied this to a Manhattan (or less willingly to a Rock & Rye), but I'd feel guilty mixing spirits of this ilk with anything more than an ice cube at most.

Templeton Rye Whiskey. It's amber color is the same hue as the July sunset of the land in which it is produced. And it tastes as good as it looks

Also for your study, here's a brief history of the whiskey itself in the form of a supporting article.
Templeton is perhaps best known for "Templeton Rye," which was produced in great quantities here during the prohibition era. Prohibition became law on Jan. 16, 1920, when the 18th Amendment to the US Constitution was enacted forbidding the manufacture and sale of whiskey and other alcoholic beverages.

The following are selected excerpts from an article titled "Templeton Rye," which was written by Lam Schwaller, c 1981.

In 1920, Templeton, like the rest of the nation, was trying to recover from the effects of World War I. This is the year, according to seasoned opinions, that bootlegging, Templeton Style, began to appear. Early products were made from corn, but shortly thereafter, the famous rye whiskey was commonly produced. As the 20’s progressed, more people became involved in the illegal process until it reached its peak in 1930-1931. Local residents had large families or mortgage payments to be made and many saw this as a means of survival.

The going price for a gallon of Templeton Rye was about $5.25 to $5.50. The product, perhaps initially made for local consumption, was of the highest caliber. Many out-of-town buyers asked for some of the "special" stuff and paid a premium for it. As the reputation grew, the demand increased, until at one time, as many as three truckloads of kegs left Templeton in one week, destined for Des Moines, Denver and Chicago.

Many legends and rumors have surfaced over the years concerning Templeton Rye. Al Capone, notorious gang leader in Chicago, is said to have been involved in our story. The evidence then and now still indicates that he was never more than a paying customer.

All of this would have been very exciting and very profitable, except for one problem, the Federal agents. They did their best to enforce the law and especially so in Templeton. The local booze runners did all they could to avoid being caught. After a while, the Federal men and some of the hard to catch bootleggers knew each other and almost mutual respect developed, with the agents vowing to get them "the next time."

A few people feel that the Templeton Rye era is a skeleton in our municipal closet and should not be exploited. However, many feel it is a prominent part of our history and heritage and should be presented. It is, perhaps, the most notable thing we have done in Templeton and the one thing that sets us apart. We could have all been bank robbers, you know, or worse!
And now the bad news...

First, this single barrel rye is only available in Iowa. An unnamed company based in California has reportedly signed an agreement to distribute the product nationwide, but...

Second, and worse yet, the distiller has underestimated the demand for their product. Current reserves are stretched and the manufacturer had been considering blending their "single barrel" with lesser aged rye whiskeys of 2-3 years. Ouch!

This fine Rye will be part of a greater series of reviews entitled "The Rye Shall Rise Again". As for the booze itself, get your grip upon a bottle if you can and while you can.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

slipperyyoke
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Your Booze Review: Templeton Rye Whiskey

Post by slipperyyoke »

Badfellow wrote: This fine Rye will be part of a greater series of reviews entitled "The Rye Shall Rise Again". As for the booze itself, get your grip upon a bottle if you can and while you can.
I'm tingling with anticipation, but then again it might just be the six pack of Tröegs Pale ale and this half a fifth of WT Rye 101. I'm looking forward to the future Rye reviews, Badfellow. It's also nice to see another Rye within the price range of 20-50 dollars. I've had my eyes peeled for that unfiltered, uncut Sazerac Rye (Thomas H. Handy), but I have yet to locate it. I may just have to bust out the plastic and have my local liquor store special order it for me. Well, that’s enough rambling from me; great review Badfellow. Cheers.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Your Booze Review: Templeton Rye Whiskey

Post by Badfellow »

slipperyyoke wrote: ...I've had my eyes peeled for that unfiltered, uncut Sazerac Rye (Thomas H. Handy), but I have yet to locate it. I may just have to bust out the plastic and have my local liquor store special order it for me...
The Handy is a formidable bottle of booze. Let me know if you have too much trouble finding it.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

I'll be driving through IA the next time I go to see the missus' family. I'll have to see if I can stop to pick up a bottle or two.

Of course i'd be willing to have it shipped.....
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

Qbert
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Qbert »

If you're going to buy whiskey in Iowa, make sure you grab a bottle of Sunny Brook. Proudly brewed in New Jersey, and a steal at only $6.99 a bottle at your local Hy-Vee.
Brothers call me dog, they've got the letters backwards.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey. 132.7 proof/ 66.35 alcohol by volume. You will not smell the burn, but you will feel and taste it. Whoooooooooooooooooo son! Smack my liver and call me Badfellow!

Booker's, you have been dethroned.

P.S.
Bring it, Bourbon Brigade. I got the rye that'll make you cry.

TheGoodStuff
Tippler
Tippler

Post by TheGoodStuff »

Badfellow,

On behalf of the makers of Templeton Rye, I am excited to hear that you enjoyed the character and spirit of our whiskey.

You brought up a few issues (availability and blending) that we'd like to provide more information on.

First, availability: Iowa and Illinois will be re-supplied with T.R. this August 2007, with plans for more states in the near future! We are also releasing a special "Quasquicentennial Batch" in conjunction with the town of Templeton's 125th birthday, taking place on July 6th and 7th. The batch is limited - only a few thousand - but available in fine Iowa retailers and at the celebration itself.

Second, in regards to the rumor that we are considering blending our single barrel with lesser-aged rye whiskeys to meet demand, we have never - and will never - blend our product with anything. You're correct, we did underestimate the popularity of T.R., but when we ran out, we simply ran out.

Thanks again for your kind words about Templeton Rye, and we hope you'll give us a taste again soon. :-)

-Nate
------
Templeton Rye Spirits, LLC.
http://www.TempletonRye.com

The Pooba
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by The Pooba »

1- I love it when distillers drop in and say hi. Thanks for the info Nate.
2- When this stuff comes to AZ I'll be first in line. I love me some rye.
3- Don't ever ask me to pronounce Quasquicentennial when I've been drinking.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

TheGoodStuff wrote:Badfellow,

On behalf of the makers of Templeton Rye, I am excited to hear that you enjoyed the character and spirit of our whiskey.

You brought up a few issues (availability and blending) that we'd like to provide more information on.

First, availability: Iowa and Illinois will be re-supplied with T.R. this August 2007, with plans for more states in the near future! We are also releasing a special "Quasquicentennial Batch" in conjunction with the town of Templeton's 125th birthday, taking place on July 6th and 7th. The batch is limited - only a few thousand - but available in fine Iowa retailers and at the celebration itself.

Second, in regards to the rumor that we are considering blending our single barrel with lesser-aged rye whiskeys to meet demand, we have never - and will never - blend our product with anything. You're correct, we did underestimate the popularity of T.R., but when we ran out, we simply ran out.

Thanks again for your kind words about Templeton Rye, and we hope you'll give us a taste again soon. :-)

-Nate
Thank you Nate for dropping in to post and for giving us the direct word on Templeton Rye, and my apologies as well for the errors. Incidentally, I've been meaning to get hold of your brands manager to chat rye, but I am unforgivably tardy in doing so.

Your whiskey is certainly in the upper eschelons, and rest assured I'll be feverishly seeking out a bottle of your Quasquicentennial Batch.
I think we can all feel quite good about supporting the efforts of craft distillers such as yourself. Please keep making it and we'll keep drinking it.

-Jason

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but man, there are more rye drinkers on this forum than I've ever encountered in my life. I've only had Beam rye and Old Overholt, and I wasn't into either one. There are some top shelf ryes at Old Town liquors here in Louisville, maybe I'll try one out some time.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

Has anyone had Sazerac rye? They have it for $21.99 at a store near me.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

fizzmaster wrote:Has anyone had Sazerac rye? They have it for $21.99 at a store near me.
The Sazerac Straight Rye is fantastic. That Thomas Handy stuff is twice as good.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

garv
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by garv »

I just tried Templeton Rye, and I'm in love. It may be the best whiskey I've ever had--dark; thick; spicy; and remarkably smooth; with a mild, pleasant after-burn.

I liked it so much, I put up a post about it on my Booze Movies blog. I usually only post material tied to both booze and movies, but Templeton Rye is too good to keep quiet about.

By the way, they also have a nicely designed Website if you are looking for more info.
Read reviews, news, and features from the world of soused cinema at "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide." http://www.boozemovies.com/

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

Rye has enchanted me ever since I bought my first bottle of yellow labeled Beam that I found in a dusty corner of a liquor store. Since then, Overholt has been doing it for me but perhaps the time has come to sample something new.

Hangover Heartattack
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Hangover Heartattack »

hey does anyone know where to pick up some of Templeton Rye in the Rot-chester new york-ish area?