Lucid Brand Absinthe

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

vtjim
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Lucid Brand Absinthe

Post by vtjim »

I got a bottle of Lucid absinthe via a store in New York State. Pretty good stuff. I think I prefer the Czech style, but since the Lucid is legal, it's much easier to get. ;) About 120 proof. I'm just sitting here drinking it straight. Nice anise/herbal flavor. No artificial coloring or over-sweet flavor like that evil Absente stuff.

The web site has stores listed. I got mine in Schenectady. http://www.drinklucid.com/
Beer near!

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

screw that crappy fake absinth ;)
If you have access to spain,france,etc or friends that go there why?
Its not even artemsia asbinthe =) How much was it? probably overpriced, when i was down in miami i saw a legal absinthe brand sold for 35 bucks and i was like you've got to be fucking kidding me i could go abroad and get a better quality absinthe for same or less. =p
Out of curiosity what was the proof

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

oops didn't notice the proof; its 4 am here =)

jane
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by jane »

during my last adventure reading spin magazine, i learned that marilyn manson, in an effort to pile more affectations onto his overly contrived personality, now only drinks absynthe exclusively. a brewery in belgium got $$$$ in its eyes and will now make an absynthe special for him. it will be called

mansynthe

tell that story at your next party. you're welcome.

Two Martini Breakfast
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Two Martini Breakfast »

mediakill wrote:screw that crappy fake absinth ;)
If you have access to spain,france,etc or friends that go there why?
Its not even artemsia asbinthe =) How much was it? probably overpriced, when i was down in miami i saw a legal absinthe brand sold for 35 bucks and i was like you've got to be fucking kidding me i could go abroad and get a better quality absinthe for same or less. =p
Out of curiosity what was the proof
After some brief internet detective work, Lucid does appear to be a "legit" artemisia Absinthe. Furthermore, it is associated with fairly reknowned Absinthe expert T.A. Breaux. However, I have no idea whether or not it's overpriced.
I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom badmouthing Lady America, in your damn mirrored sunglasses!

will_butler
Tippler
Tippler

Post by will_butler »

I've looked into Lucid, and while I do intend on trying it out once it's more widely available outside of New York, I don't really see the point. It's about $60 a bottle from what I understand, which, even factoring in courier shipping, is about what I paid for some really, really lovely bottles from http://www.absinthe.de a while back. And I have a hard time believing this stuff could be better than the Kubler:

Sweet nectar.

Will

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

Thanks for the info....I'm always looking for affordable absinthe. One can only drink so much Pernod in good conscience.....

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

Has anyone tried this yet? I've heard a couple of places around here sell it, and I've also heard it's the same thujone content as the European standard. I'm guessing they got around the importation ban by growing the herbs and distilling it here in the Mommy State? It'd be interesting to see how it compares.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

We got a case of this in and sold them at $65 a bottle and are already sold out. The news reports were good advertisements. In my city of over a half million, as far as I know, we're the only place that had it. Looking forward to trying it myself.