Whisky River Take Me Home

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Whisky River Take Me Home

Post by steved2112 »

I've bought a handsome new bottle today. Note the guitar pick packaging flare. It intrigued me because it's not just Bourbon, it's a small batch Boutbon. And it has Willie Nelson printed on it. And it's named for his signature song. And it's Bourbon.

So I decided that since Girlie is making her awesome pulled pork (which I swear to god I wish to eat on my death bed so I can die blissfully), I should do something worthy of such a reward. Naturally this led me to assemble a shootout between the new bottle and the scraps left over in two previous dance partners.

I have
- A splash of Evan Williams (are there different Evan Williamseses? It's the black label 86 proof kind...)
- A splash of Fighting Cock. This gem is 103 proof, and I usually get it for under $17 for a fifth. I have seen it for $55 also. Baffling.
- The aforementioned new delight.

OK so let's pour!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

You'll enjoy it, even more so with the pulled pork.

http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/bbs/v ... skey+river
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

This is a flight, not a session. I normally prefer 4oz pours, but in this case I'm going for 1.5 oz of each. A few sips and a gulp, to get the taste happening.

First the Evan Williams.

Mmm. Tasty. A little sweet. Good burn, and not too much of it. The other two will lose the advantage of being first to warm a hungry stomach, which is not insignificant. I shall endeavor to remain impartial.

Next up is Fighting Cock.

It's positively syrupy by comparison. I have detected this quality before, but it is contrasted by Evan to the extent that it is verily aparent. Overall I'm impressed anew at this 103 proof sleeper. I've said it before - this Cock is amazingly smooth going down. Have fun with that, Gerald.

Now on to the new kid. The Old Whisky River.

Now that's good Bourbon! It has a touch of that honey characteristic I like so much in Basil Hayden's. Very smooth - little to no burn. Or is it that I'm getting warned up here? Better finish these mini pours to make certain.

Conclusion:
I love all three. But amazingly I am preferential toward the Whisky River. It felt like the most drinkable of the three for tonight. I'm enthused, because my favorite bottle in this highly subjective comparison is the one with the greatest remaining content.

Now to feast on Pork so tender and full of flavor as to make grown men weep. I think Jupiter handed down this recipe and skill from Olympus directly to Girlie, who unknowingly thinks she just whips it together.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

Old Whiskey River is pretty good stuff. I've drank alot of it and I have no complaints. If you haven't tried Bulleit yet, you should. It's a 90 proof, very smooth and is perfect for sipping or in a Manhattan. Makers Mark is my usual go to guy since it can be found in most decent bars. Last but certainly not least, J.W. Dant. Good bourbon, 100 proof. Has a nice little bite to it but not hard enough that you couldn't enjoy it straight up. It's perfect for cold nights around a fire, or on a camping trip. Kind of rustic that makes you feel like you could be sitting around a fire 100 years ago and the radio in the background is the only thing to let you know we have advanced from the pioneer days. Good bourbon can be found in alot of places. I have bought 40 dollar bottles of crap, and 14 dollar bottle gems. All comes down to your personal tastes.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

Badfellow wrote:You'll enjoy it, even more so with the pulled pork.

http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/bbs/v ... skey+river
Excellent work, Badfellow. I should have done some searching to see how drunkards here felt about the stuff. Now I like it even more.

bluespook wrote:If you haven't tried Bulleit yet, you should. It's a 90 proof, very smooth and is perfect for sipping or in a Manhattan.
This made me want a Whisky River Manhattan, so I just made one. It was good!
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Two Martini Breakfast
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Two Martini Breakfast »

I am making note of this thread to reference when I have a sufficient wad to blow at the candy store. Just as a special note, my go-to bourbon is Knob Creek, love EW, all of this stuff sounds fantastic. Come to think of it, my mom has a pretty excellent recipe for pulled pork...
I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom badmouthing Lady America, in your damn mirrored sunglasses!

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

I wrote about Willie's whisky before the Great Crash. I enjoyed it, but need a refresher. Did you get a Willie guitar pick with it?

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

Whiskey River is good stuff, I tried it about a year ago... the purchase was certainly inspired by the fact that it came with a guitar pick (which is way too heavy for me to use, I prefer a Dunlop .6, but it was still kewl).

Great review Steve (and belatedly, Badfellow)!
Be safe everyone.

The Big Iron
Souse
Souse

Post by The Big Iron »

never had the river but EW makes a single barrel that is fantastic
"I'm not still drunk I'm just tired for being up all night drinking" Peter Griffen

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

I am too lazy to quote whoever said it, but Bulliet is indeed delicious. And so is Bookers, even though it is a bit stronger (126 proof) than I usually enjoy.

I still can't believe that an FB of mine got me that bottle of Bookers for my birthday. Awesome gift.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

prickortreat wrote:I wrote about Willie's whisky before the Great Crash. I enjoyed it, but need a refresher. Did you get a Willie guitar pick with it?
I did! I intend to save this pick for some booze addled guitar playing night, of which one can't have too many in this life.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

skeletor2112 wrote:I intend to save this pick for some booze addled guitar playing night.
For some reason that comment gave me a vision of Steved, surrounded by kids, playing folksy arrangements of Motorhead songs on an acoustic.
Be safe everyone.

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

Methyl Spirits wrote:
skeletor2112 wrote:I intend to save this pick for some booze addled guitar playing night.
For some reason that comment gave me a vision of Steved, surrounded by kids, playing folksy arrangements of Motorhead songs on an acoustic.
I don't know about Steved; but a guy in this crazy Canadian bar I was in played a surprisingly good version of "Ace of Spades" all by himself.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

Methyl Spirits wrote:
Folk arrangements of metal songs are all the rage, without the drunk, stinkin dirty headbangers.