Your Booze Review: Junipero Gin

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Your Booze Review: Junipero Gin

Post by Badfellow »

Junipero Gin

Distilled and Bottled by: Anchor Distilling Company, San Francisco, CA.
49.3% Alcohol by volume/ 98.6 proof
Approx. $30.00 per 750ml

Say what you will about Fritz Maytag, but you have to credit the man with vision. 2nd generation to a washing machine empire, Fritz brached out into virgin territory and established the Anchor Brewery back before microbrew was even a wet dream.

In 1993 he established a micro distillery on Potrero Hill in San Francisco, again well ahead of the curve. The prestige of a small batch liquor isn't in how much it costs or in how difficult it is to obtain. True prestige is in the quality and enjoyment of the drink at hand, not that it impresses your guests but that it impresses YOU. Fritz could have gone with a flashy bottle design (admittedly the bottle is classy and quite beautiful, though in an understated way) and flavor gimmicry, but instead he took the high road with his product and made a brave step in not underestimating the taste of the consumer.

Junipero is an amazing dry gin. Most people cringe at the prospect of sipping gin neat and at room temperature. This one is a pleasure to guzzle. Sure, it makes a great martini, but what's lost in that translation is the resounding smoothness of Junipero. It doesn't require chilling because it doesn't sear your throat shut, and so at a warmer serving temperature the full range of it's botanicals are more pronounced.

This might just end up taking the crown from Hendricks.

Cooling juniper. Warming cinnamon flanked by hints of clove and pepper. Slightly sweet grain with a dry body and astringency of alcohol. Lingering aromatic orange peel and a soothing, warming, smile-inducing finish.

Bottom Line: Stick to Bombay for your martinis and G&T's. Save this knockout for a 100% pure gin experience.

"I say, sir. Might I interest you in a small snifter of Junipero? Most refined indeed."

Cheers.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

rune
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by rune »

Excellent review. I hope I can try this one someday.

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

My McCompany distributes Anchor beers here in Doo-Dah.
The instant, and I mean Instant, Junipero shows up in the warehouse, I'm risking the paycheck to steal a bottle....
Wait, did I say steal? I meant to say an unavoidable forklift accident.
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

Junipero Gin and its counterpart Old Portrero Rye Whiskey are delicious.

However, you cannot find them, even in the San Francisco Bay Area, for less than 50$ a bottle. BevMo once had them both on sell for $35 a bottle and it was impossible to find them anywhere in Northern California (I called around).

I've only been able to sample them at snooty-nosed drinking establishments and have never had the privilege of pulling a bottle for my own. I can only hope Bacchus smiles on me and I chance upon them one day in the Sunshine State.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Masque Of The Roo Death wrote:However, you cannot find them, even in the San Francisco Bay Area, for less than 50$ a bottle. BevMo once had them both on sell for $35 a bottle and it was impossible to find them anywhere in Northern California (I called around).
Its not listed on BevMo.com but we have a few bottles at the store I work at. If I remember correctly they're going for around sixty right now but I could be off on that. I know a lot of people on the forums have been looking for a bottle at a decent price so I'll be sure to make the announcement if the deal ever comes up. Our Junipero is only $25 right now which seems like a good deal to me.

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Your Booze Review: Junipero Gin

Post by Cowboy Joe »

Sounds absolutely lovely, although gin is a bit out of season for me right now...winter tends to favor something aged in a barrel, on my pallet.....but every rule needs exceptions, right? If I can find a bottle at a time I can afford it I will give it a go....I'm lately on a big rye kick, so I'll try the old Potrero while I'm at it.