Your Booze Review: Shakers Wheat Vodka

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Your Booze Review: Shakers Wheat Vodka

Post by Badfellow »

Shakers Wheat Vodka

80 proof/ 40% alcohol by volume

Mfg. by: Infinite Spirits, Inc.
Benson, MN and Napa, CA

Approx. $27.99 USD per liter

Shakers Original American Vodka was introduced in 2003 just as the craft distillation scene was beginning to explode. The brainchildren behind Pete's Wicked Ale had sold off their interests in beer and set forth to create a definatively American vodka that would compete with the super premium brands of the world. They designed an award winning bottle, crafting it of frosted glass in the shape of a classic cocktail shaker, and emblazened it with the logo of a silver art deco penguin wearing a formal bowtie.

Marketing savvy? In truck loads! But how is the booze itself?

As far as the mighty vodak goes, Shakers has one major attribute in it's corner. It makes no attempt to conceal the type of grain used in distillation. The label clearly says wheat. Much of the vodka on the shelves today is not distilled from wheat or even potatoes, but rather corn. This in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but why then would a distiller feel compelled to use the more slippery verbage "grain neutral spirits"? Maybe "100% corn vodka" just doesn't have as good a ring to it.

Wheat vodka should be a clean proposition, especially MN winter wheat, especially after it's been ran through a six column distillation process. Without getting into the whole overblown wheat vs. potato debate (both are equally drinkable in my book), it's fair to say that vodka made from wheat is unique in the experience. Shakers is fairly smooth, but it is eminenetly clean. Like good water, it leaves your palate untainted by its passing. You won't find a hint of cheap, chemical aftertaste or goosebump-inducing medicinal burn. Its exceptional shooting vodka when chilled. Likewise, it makes a good blank canvas for broadcasting more flavorful garnishes and adulturations such as olives, bitters or citrus peel. Not as sweet as Shakers Rye, it won't interfere with the most delicately-handed cocktail making.

Shakers Wheat, part of a complete and well balanced home cocktail bar. The bottle will score you 50 bonus points on the IKEA index.

Suggested serving: chilled from a snowbank.

Bottom line: Shakers Wheat isn't cheap. Make no mistake, it is fine vodka. But much of what you'll be paying for is a beautifully designed bottle when instead you should be more concerned with content. As the infamous MOL might say, its more or less over-priced yuppie-ass glam booze.

Deep discounts via promotions and bar fire sales can sometimes be had.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

I never knew there was a wheat version. I've only seen the rye. The bottle looks different. I dig the penguin.

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

Someone sent me some of this last year. Good stuff that.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

Nice review.
I will have to check this stuff out. I am surprised I have not hit up already.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald