Oban Single Malt

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

WorkingFlaskHero wrote:
DrDrinkBastard wrote:Oban 14 is great. If you like it, give Caol Isla or Bunnahabhain a shot as well.

I will do just that. Are those brands "spendy" as well? I'm afraid I openned a big can of expensive worms.
You did.

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

WorkingFlaskHero wrote:
DrDrinkBastard wrote:Oban 14 is great. If you like it, give Caol Isla or Bunnahabhain a shot as well.

I will do just that. Are those brands "spendy" as well? I'm afraid I openned a big can of expensive worms.
You did. But to bastardize a quote from Hemingway, I get the best value of all in good scotch....

WorkingFlaskHero
Booze Head
Booze Head
Location: Beneath the golden gate bridge drinking night train

Post by WorkingFlaskHero »

Cowboy Joe wrote:
WorkingFlaskHero wrote:

You did. But to bastardize a quote from Hemingway, I get the best value of all in good scotch....
Fuck It. I guess my liver will pay the ultimate price. However, the liver is evil and must be punished.
"My heart carries the pain of a brain I can't explain"
-Rehab

Chupacabras
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Chupacabras »

Just opened a bottle of the Oban 14yo last night... the finish is a tad oilier then I normally like but it's amazingly smooth.

All and all I'd call it pretty good, though I'm not sure if it's $80 good.
Ha-ha! You didn't count on my loyal army of prostitutes, did you?

Uncle Gary
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Uncle Gary »

Holy shit -- $80? I'm getting Lagavulin for $79, Oban 10 for under $60. Is Oban 14 that much pricier?
No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full. -- Sulla's Epitaph

Chupacabras
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Chupacabras »

I think I actually payed $75 pre-tax.

It was from a local that I know has good scotch prices so that's probably par for the course.

Uncle Gary
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Uncle Gary »

Chupacabras wrote:I think I actually payed $75 pre-tax.

It was from a local that I know has good scotch prices so that's probably par for the course.
Oh well, I still feel better paying $80 for a good bottle of scotch than I do $3 a gallon for gas.
No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full. -- Sulla's Epitaph

Chupacabras
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Chupacabras »

Same.

Uncle Gary
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Uncle Gary »

I'm such a dumbass -- There ain't an Oban 10yr (leastwise, not that I've seen); I was thinking of Talisker 10... Please pardon my damn incompetence. I'll slobber and stumble but getting my scotch wrong is near-unforgivable.

By the way, the Laphroaig 15 I'm drinking right now is quite nice.

Chupacabras
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Chupacabras »

There are so many different expressions out there, it's hard to keep them all straight.

I've got almost a full bottle of the Laphroaig 10yo sitting on the shelf which I eye menacingly every night. At the risk of enraging some of the other whisky snobs, I'm almost positive that stuff is a novelty product, like the corn whiskey they sell in mason jars.

Is the 15yo as ridiculously peaty as the 10yo? The only reason I haven't gotten a bottle of the quarter cask is my hatred for that 10yo.

Uncle Gary
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Uncle Gary »

Chupacabras wrote:There are so many different expressions out there, it's hard to keep them all straight.

I've got almost a full bottle of the Laphroaig 10yo sitting on the shelf which I eye menacingly every night. At the risk of enraging some of the other whisky snobs, I'm almost positive that stuff is a novelty product, like the corn whiskey they sell in mason jars.

Is the 15yo as ridiculously peaty as the 10yo? The only reason I haven't gotten a bottle of the quarter cask is my hatred for that 10yo.
I'd call the Laphroaig 15 a much more mature whisky. Still plenty of peat, but not as harsh a peat overdrive. Smoother but still powerfull. Got a buddy who just described it as "a smoother kick in the balls" but I like calling it a Master's degree Islay vs a Bachelor's dgree (the 10 yr). That help?

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

Chupacabras wrote:There are so many different expressions out there, it's hard to keep them all straight.

I really like the Laphroaig 10 year. It's peaty, but it's also sort of nutty, which I really enjoy. I'd love to try the quarter cask....

Chupacabras
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Chupacabras »

Yeah, that helps.

I guess that 10yo is eithera love it or hate it proposition which I guess is better then everone just thinking it's okay.

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

Chupacabras wrote:Yeah, that helps.

I guess that 10yo is eithera love it or hate it proposition which I guess is better then everone just thinking it's okay.
Agreed. It's probably the most "intense" whiskey around. If you don't like burnt seaweed, you won't like it.