Your Booze Review: Old Monk Rum

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Your Booze Review: Old Monk Rum

Post by Badfellow »

People I know have seem to be aware of the general idea that I fancy myself something of an ametuer booze hunter. And so often they're thoughtful enough to procure me new specimens upon their varied travels, even if sometimes it is merely but a taste (those stingy bastards).

As was the case this time, a friend picked up a bottle of rum I'd never heard of in a predominately Indian portion of Chicago. The guy was a Sikh, and he told her hands down this was the finest spirits he purveyed. You don't exactly associate "rum" with "India", and skeptical as I was (anyone who's ever consumed arrak has good reason to be skeptical of Indian distillates), I was still willing to give it a full hearted go. Being a booze hunter, you have to have the stomach for this sort of thing, even when the hunting looks rough.

Old Monk Rum

Distilled by: Mohan & Meatin Ltd.
Ghaziabad, India.

Blended rum, aged 7 years.

80 proof/ 40% a.b.v.

Price: no idea.

Let me first preface by saying that this rum is surprisingly decent, even downright enjoyable. It's thickness and character are very reminiscent of Jamaican inspiration. It is appropriately enough the color of molassas. Fairly sweet. The flavor is butterscotch, toffee and maple, with a sort of earthiness behind it that is pleasing in the way cave aged cheeses can be. Quite smooth. The sweetness must be covering up the burn. Well bodied. Leaves a long lingering aftertaste.

Bottom line: I'd buy a bottle for my next pirate campaign off the Sarawak coast. 'Twould be good grog, aye.

The bottle and label remind me of one you'd see on the bar at a circa 70's cocktail party. Note how the label decrees "FOR SALE IN USA COUNTRY ONLY". By jove, I think that monk is a little cock-eyed himself from dipping into the barrels.

Cheers, and good drinking.

-Shameless Rum Slut
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Count Silvio
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: Your Booze Review: Old Monk Rum

Post by Count Silvio »

Good review. I've been wondering whether I should try to locate a bottle of this rum myself.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Count Silvio wrote:I've been wondering whether I should try to locate a bottle of this rum myself.
Consider it part of a well rounded liquor cabinet, and a rum most rummies have never heard of before. It's decent drinking neat.

Count Silvio
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Count Silvio »

Most rummies I know, know pretty much about every rum. I found a netstore in Germany which sells Old Monk but it is not XXX. It says it is 7 years old though...

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Only time refines our vices, our tastes, and our will to refine our taste again.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

A holdover from the days of the Raj, methinks.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

That looks awesome! I wants a bottle.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

I found a bottle! Got a bottle for $17.99 at Federal Liquors, the best little packy in Boston. I really, really like it. Some dark n stormies with Maine Root Ginger Ale got me well on my way to the island pretty damn quick. An excellent rum.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/