Reviewed for your drinking pleasure: Xingu Black Beer

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Reviewed for your drinking pleasure: Xingu Black Beer

Post by Bluto »

First tried this beer two weeks ago with and old college buddy I hadn't seen in a few years. He told the bartender he wanted a beer with some flavor and not something watered down. Said he liked Killian's red but he wanted to try something new. The bartender recomended this:

Xingu Brazilliand Black Lager It's quite tasty. It pours a nice dark black and on looks alone I'd expect it to be a porter. The tate, though, is quite different. It doesn't have the heavy mouth feel of a porter, though it does start out nice and sweet. The finish is comes from the back of throat and is nice and malty.
It also has a very malty aroma. The head from a 12oz bottle was light brown in color and poured about 1 inch thick. it took a little more than 3 minutes for it to dissipate. It aslo leaves a nice bit of film down the side of the glass as the beer is drank. I like that.
We apaid $4 a pop at my local and the packy just down the street is selling them for $12.25 a sixer. Clearly, more than my usual High Life, or even the the stuff from the local microbrewer. It's nice change of pace, though, so I don't feel to terribly bad about it.
All in all I rate it a solid 8.5 out of 10.

cheers
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Re: Reviewed for your drinking pleasure: Xingu Black Beer

Post by Screwball »

I will be going by my favorite beer store tomorrow.

Think I'll check out a couple.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Sonic Screwball wrote:I will be going by my favorite beer store tomorrow.

Think I'll check out a couple.

Please do and let me know what you think!
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Xingu is one of my first loves in microbrewing. Back in the early 90's, there wasn't choice of beer like there is today. When I couldn't find Taddy Porter, a cold 22 oz. of Xingu really hit the spot. It doesn't have any of that acrid note of butt you sometimes get from the heavier roast malts.

Nice review. I second good opinion of this beer.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Dr. Dotto S. Blotto
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Dr. Dotto S. Blotto »

I do love the Xingu. I get it once in a while. I like to pair it with Limburger cheese. Odd? perhaps, but they're my tastebuds.

(edited for spelling)
Last edited by Dr. Dotto S. Blotto on Sat May 17, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slave to the Id since 1968.
Less Talk, More Monkey

"DRIVE, MONKEY! DRIVE!" - Dante

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

Just drank my first Xingu Black Beer.

Very good stuff indeed!

To be honest, when I poured it into my glass it look very black, very thick, very heavy.

After the first sip I was sold. This is a tasty beer.

Thank you for the tip, Bluto. I'll buy the first round of Xingo if we ever met.

Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by ***** »

Excellent with grilled meat

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:Excellent with grilled meat

Hmmm.... I'm thinking a nice piece of lamb shoulder. Yes, that does sound good.
Still not sure about the Limburger cheese, but I'll try just about anything once.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Bluto,

Nice review. I'll have to try that sometime. Does it relate at all to Guinness?

Here in Belgium, people are slightly xenophobic about beer. This is Belgie, why would you want to drink beer from somewhere else when we have the best in the world? Plus, I live in a small village and there ARE liquor stores (drank handels), but they generally have exotic Belgian beers, cognacs, wines, SOME whiskeys, and did I mention Belgian beer?

I just don't see a lot of imported beer here (except for Guinness).
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Peetie,

No it really doesn't compare to a Guinness. Guinness is an ale and this is a lager, so outside of appearance they really don't have much in common. The Xingu is isn't nearly as heavy or as bitter as a stout. It's crisper and a little lighter on the palate. Hope that helps!
cheers