Your Booze Review: Rogue Dark Rum

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Your Booze Review: Rogue Dark Rum

Post by Badfellow »

Rogue Dark Rum

Manufactured by Rogue Ales
Portland Oregon

Upwards of $40 USD for 750ml

You can imagine my excitement when recently I spied upon the shelves new distilled product from the Oregonian institution of suds that is Rogue. Less exciting though was the price tag for these ultra premium entries into the American spirits market. Following the lead of Anchor Brewing, Rogue capitalized upon it's street cred and made an ambitious move into stronger waters as it were. It's Dark Rum and Whiskey seem based on classic American, dare I say even colonial models, of heritage ambers. The White Rum and especially the Hazelnut Rum, abandon such traditionalist standard and are more transparent in their attempt to capture a completely different demographic of drinker altogether.

The Dark Rum is at my appraisal a solid specimen of craftsmanship. It is obviously made with refinement in mind, owing to it's smooth nature, it's sweet vistas of caramel flavor and a fine, oak-aged color that captures firelight in the best of romantic senses. But perhaps it is too smooth. Really, what it lacks are the subtle fingerprints that form the signature of what is a distinctive rum. Too refined is what we have here, wiped clean of assertive chracter or memorable notes. It lacks a true depth. Sure, it's in an attractive bottle adorned with a silkscreen and some historic bits regarding the infamous pirate Edwin Teach, aka Blackbeard. However this rum, friends, is far more timid than the man which it bears to honor, and with regret not worthy of the price that it commands.

I will be happy to drink the remainder of this bottle in short order. An easy task that will be. But I do not expect to see this one grace my own, personal shelf anytime soon.

Good drinking to you drunkards. And cheers.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Whisky Guy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Your Booze Review: Rogue Dark Rum

Post by Whisky Guy »

I have yet to be disapointed by one of their beers, I'd definately like to get my hands on a bottle of this.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Not much of a rum drinker, but when I can get sailor for $16 I don't have much desire to spend $40 since it's not Bourbon.

I will say though that Rogue makes some great beers, I've had quite a few of them, the Dead Guy Ale being our most popular that we carried on tap. I guess I'm not surprised that they charge that much, for one thing it's pretty expensive to get a spirits license, plus when you have a captive audience why not charge top shelf prices.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

On the subject of Rogue beers, I recently got word on their "John/John" (incidentally the first names of the head brewer and head distiller respectively) which is a Double Dead Guy aged in their whiskey barrels. There's a place in town that is confirmed to have it on tap. I'm all but there.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Damn, we had the Double Dead Guy in bottles and that stuff was totally expsensive, I can't imagine how much it would be aged in whiskey barrels. Not saying I wouldn't try it though.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619