Chambord Vodka

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Chambord Vodka

Post by John Barleycorn »

BBoozer wrote:I agree with Peetie. When mixed, nobody can tell the difference between a cheap-ass and a high cost vodka. I would doubt if during a blind a taste , anyone could tell the difference with vodka neat.
I partially disagree. Bad vodka has a taste. I remember my disappointment as an underaged kid in a particularly nasty liter of banker's club vodka that gave me the impression that a rat had died in the still. This was a hard blow since I lived in PA, where the state run stores mean that underaged drinkers need to arrange for someone older to help. I also find smirnoff red to be undrinkably foul. Here's the catch and the part where I agree with you, once a vodka has passed the threshold of no longer having an obvious flaw, it becomes very difficult to distinguish one brand from another. So, while I think I could pick an obvious bad vodka in a blind taste test, I'd have trouble distinguishing a bottle of smirnoff silver (a dollar more than red and I love it) from something like grey goose or chopin at twice the price.

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

Johny brings the truth

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Any halfway decent vodkas taste the same, bad vodka tastes like paint thinner. Vodka isn't heavily flavoured but there is a difference, its just how sensitive your are to it.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

or buy cheap vodka and run it through a Brita water filter a few times and it should taste great as myth busters say

perfectly pickled
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by perfectly pickled »

BBoozer wrote:I agree with Peetie. When mixed, nobody can tell the difference between a cheap-ass and a high cost vodka. I would doubt if during a blind a taste , anyone could tell the difference with vodka neat.
I remember reading about a blind taste test by 3 NYers from the drink / bar industry (don't have a link to it),comparing I think 32 of the "premium" (ie expensive & well marketed) vodkas with ordinary smirnoff red as a benchmark. smirnoff was favourite by a large margin.