Whiskey Under Pressure

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Whiskey Under Pressure

Post by Patchez »

Ok. There has been some talk in the past in whiskey circles about scientifically speeding up the whiskey and bourbon aging process. While this technically bars it from being called bourbon, the whiskey produced from these processes are supposed to be quite tasty.

As a whiskey drinking traditionalist I scoffed at these notions. Till this years Beer, Bourbon and BBQ festival. A stand at that event was from the Cleveland Whiskey Company. I knew nothing about there whiskey but love trying new things. So I walked up. I tried the main staple on which all the other whiskies were made from the Black.

As I was getting the sample pour from the lady at the booth I was able to chat a bit with one of the distillers. Well talked isn't the right word. He said "I want you to do something after you try it. Guess the age of the whiskey."

So I sample the first pour. Savor it a bit. Smooth, caramel and vanilla notes with a slight spicy finish. I tell the guy one more sample to be sure. Second sample goes down like the first. I think this is a wonderful little whiskey. I said my best guess was 4 to 8 years.

I could've been knocked on my ass by a slight breeze when he said " Only a few weeks barrel to bottle."

Holy shit. This was one of those heathen science asshole that was going to ruin whiskey. By the taste though I was dead wrong. They do some sort of pressurized aging process that rapidly forces the whiskey into and out of the barrel wood simulating years of the aging process in a mater of weeks.

I have to do more research on this. I also have to find the card the guy gave me as he invited me to tour the place anytime I'm out in Ohio.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Whiskey Under Pressure

Post by oettinger »

Hmm it`s like eating fruit and drinking water, fast
Drink!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

It's against nature, Dammit!
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

No such thing as cheating if it tastes good. This is mad booze science at its best.

I would travel to Cleveland specifically for a tour of this guy's place. Maybe set a date sometime this year for a few days, I'd meet you there.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Rushing something as amazing as bourbon just seems wrong.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:12 am
No such thing as cheating if it tastes good. This is mad booze science at its best.

I would travel to Cleveland specifically for a tour of this guy's place. Maybe set a date sometime this year for a few days, I'd meet you there.
I still can't locate the guy's business card. This is why I should be accompanied by an adult when I'm drinking.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

So, for those of you to whom artificially aged seems an abomination, are you then saying that you wouldn't drink it?

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Patchez wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm
Badfellow wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:12 am

I still can't locate the guy's business card. This is why I should be accompanied by an adult when I'm drinking.
I'll find him. C'mon, let's make a special trip to go tour this shizzle. People who run breweries and distilleries are flattered by that sort of thing. They usually end up giving you stuff too. Like, stuff with alcohol in it.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

The Washington Times did an article on him last year. He must be doing something right.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... io-less-2/

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 pm
So, for those of you to whom artificially aged seems an abomination, are you then saying that you wouldn't drink it?
It would likely drive the cost down so much that they would be compelled to drink the "abomination". Hooked!
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Nausea wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:48 pm
Badfellow wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 pm
It would likely drive the cost down so much that they would be compelled to drink the "abomination". Hooked!
Hmmm...
Well, there aren't any laws against pressurizing whisky that I might have on hand. In hand. Ooops.
Gone.
*hiccup*
Ok, theoretically, I could take a bottle of cheap whisky, toss in some spent match sticks, cap and secure the cap with duct tape, stack heavy books on the bottle and yell math questions at it.
Might be worth the try...

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

mistah willies wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:35 am
Ok, theoretically, I could take a bottle of cheap whisky, toss in some spent match sticks, cap and secure the cap with duct tape, stack heavy books on the bottle and yell math questions at it.
Pretty much how they make Jeppson's Malört. Plus or minus a few odd farts and whether or not a muskrat crawled into the bottle and died.

Nausea wrote:
Here, friends, is a Drunkard who sees the big picture.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:35 am
mistah willies wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:35 am
Pretty much how they make Jeppson's Malört. Plus or minus a few odd farts and whether or not a muskrat crawled into the bottle and died.

Nausea wrote:
Here, friends, is a Drunkard who sees the big picture.

Think of how fast a start up distillery could make money with more than just vodka and gin.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Patchez wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 pm
Think of how fast a start up distillery could make money with more than just vodka and gin.
Ya know, there will soon be wood flavors never before explored.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

French-owned Patron Tequila has been monkeying around with new systems since the late 1980s. They actually "rest" and "age" thier reposados and anejos in stainless steel! They are able to add color and flavor with chips instead of casks. When they started, the tequila purists acted like these french assholes were pissing on a statue of Jesus.

The punch line to this is that they are (rightfully so) considered a premium brand.

New processes do not necessarily equate to a shitty product. It's progress.
DRINK!