Arrested First Time, Court Advice Please

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

greasetrap
Tippler
Tippler

Arrested First Time, Court Advice Please

Post by greasetrap »

Pissed in public and got busted by the cops for underage consumption (first degree misdemeanor) and disorderly conduct/public intoxication (third degree misdemeanor). Nothing too exciting happened, I just had to go down to the station, fill out some paper work, and wait for my buddy to pick me up. I was hoping that some of the more experienced members could tell me what to expect as far as my sentence goes and/or any legal advice.
It's almost dawn, the cops are gone,
let's all get Dixie fried

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Arrested First Time, Court Advice Please

Post by bluebottle »

i would say skip all your court dates and refused to show up at your po's office when assigned to. just be a scofflaw about the whole things and go on the run, sleep beside the rr tracks and forage for dinner out of garbage cans. or, if given the choice, do the jail time because it can be quite interesting in there.

Steve
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Steve »

Here in the UK you'd just get a small (ish) fine and a caution.

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

Depending on the state/province it shouldn't be a big deal you'll most likely get a fine somewhere in the $100 rangeand time served with a contingent that any same/similar violations within a stated timeframe will carry a stiffer penalty. They'll probably leave something like 30 days hanging over your head to compell you to do some bs or chemical dependancy evaluation.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

greasetrap
Tippler
Tippler

Post by greasetrap »

Thanks for the advice so far, just a little update, here's what my school's charging me with:

"B.2.d. Alcohol: Abusive use / Public intoxication—Abusive use shall be determined when a student’s consumption of alcohol results in violation of the rights of others or leads to disorderly or dangerous behavior, or clearly impairs the student’s personal health or safety. Prohibited behavior includes (but is not limited to) any conduct occurring when the student is under the influence of alcohol that endangers ones own health or safety or the safety of others.

B.21. Violation of Law—Violation of federal, state or local laws on university premises, at university-sponsored or -supervised activities, or which otherwise adversely affect the D. community or the pursuit of its objectives, whether on or off university premises. This standard includes off-campus study programs.

B.3. Alcohol: Use or possession—Use, possession, sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages except as expressly permitted by the law and University regulations.

B.7.c. Disruptive behavior—conduct that is disorderly, lewd or indecent, including but not limited to, conduct on University premises or at functions sponsored by or participated in by the University."

Oh well, first time for everything. It was bound to happen sooner or later and I'm amazed that it was later.

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

greasetrap wrote:Thanks for the advice so far, just a little update, here's what my school's charging me with:

"B.2.d. Alcohol: Abusive use / Public intoxication—Abusive use shall be determined when a student’s consumption of alcohol results in violation of the rights of others or leads to disorderly or dangerous behavior, or clearly impairs the student’s personal health or safety. Prohibited behavior includes (but is not limited to) any conduct occurring when the student is under the influence of alcohol that endangers ones own health or safety or the safety of others.

B.21. Violation of Law—Violation of federal, state or local laws on university premises, at university-sponsored or -supervised activities, or which otherwise adversely affect the D. community or the pursuit of its objectives, whether on or off university premises. This standard includes off-campus study programs.

B.3. Alcohol: Use or possession—Use, possession, sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages except as expressly permitted by the law and University regulations.

B.7.c. Disruptive behavior—conduct that is disorderly, lewd or indecent, including but not limited to, conduct on University premises or at functions sponsored by or participated in by the University."

Oh well, first time for everything. It was bound to happen sooner or later and I'm amazed that it was later.
you are lucky to get all that. i am bored with only pi.

swill
Souse
Souse

Post by swill »

Do not fear young grasshopper. I was arrested for underage possession three times, had dissagreements with university administration concerning sweet ethanol on four seperate occasions, and I turned out great.

Thee Totaller
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Thee Totaller »

greasetrap wrote:Pissed in public and got busted by the cops
You must demand trial by jury of your pee ers
AHLL BE BOCK

H.P. Loveshaft
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by H.P. Loveshaft »

Did you get busted by real cops or campus hacks? I got nailed for booze by the campus security at my ill-fated year at Michigan State, and I had to pay a $75 fine and attend a 3 hour alcohol education seminar, which in turn led to finding different people to drink with. Worst part: dumping the sealed bottle of tequila down the drain, at least they let me keep the lemons and limes.
Jesus! You think Eddie Money has to put up with this shit?!

greasetrap
Tippler
Tippler

Post by greasetrap »

H.P. Loveshaft wrote:Did you get busted by real cops or campus hacks?
Real cops who were on campus. Which sucks doubly hard because now I have to go to district court as well as a hearing on campus.

Illiniwek
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Illiniwek »

H.P. Loveshaft wrote:... I had to pay a $75 fine and attend a 3 hour alcohol education seminar, which in turn led to finding different people to drink with.
That's my favorite part of the story.

Slackjawd
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Slackjawd »

You'll probably be out a little money, and maybe a CD evaluation. It's not worth fretting, you may show up to court and the arresting officer might say fuck it, and not show up. If you have connections, find out what day the cop has off and try to re-schedule the court-date for that date. He may not think it's worth going down to the courthouse to convict a petty crime like this. It's low probability, but I walked from a disorderly conduct charge in this fashion. Nonetheless, pay your debt to society, and put it behind you. Congrats on your latest drunkard merit badge. Natural progression will include DWI (possibly multiple) and forays into detox. Learn to enjoy your time in hawk, a la Cool Hand Luke or Steve McQueen. You'll meet some of the most interesting individuals of your life, but nobody likes a downer on the inside. And for fuck's sake, if mandated CD classes are in order, do whatever it takes to thwart their message. They have ways of getting inside your head and making you feel like a real asshole. Good luck.

cannon1013
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by cannon1013 »

[quote="greasetrap"]Thanks for the advice so far, just a little update, here's what my school's charging me with:

Oh well, first time for everything. It was bound to happen sooner or later and I'm amazed that it was later.[/quote]
Given all that..I'd go with the first pearl of wisdom and hit the railroad tracks.
"Tell your tits to quit staring at my eyes."

Gaston
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Gaston »

used to be a cop so here what I can tell you, depending on the state...smallish fine, possible unsupervised probation, definitely time served, more than likely some kind of court ordered AA style class...other than that, don't expect much...as for dealing with the AA bastards...my suggestion is to do as I did, go to the class undrunk, pretend to be sorry for what you've done...leave immediately after class is over, head to nearest bar and proceed to get incredibly fucked...works like a charm
The truth. Why is it so important? The truth is I'm an alcoholic prick. The lie is that I'm a charming well mannered drunkard. now isn't that much prettier? LET THE FALSEHOOD REIGN!

Or it could be the brain addled delusions. I doubt that. If you've ever met me, you'd want to buy me a drink. If you haven't met me, you'd want to buy me two.- DirtyLou

greasetrap
Tippler
Tippler

Post by greasetrap »

Update: I got off with a bunch of suspended fines, a suspended day in jail, and 200$ up front plus 15 hours of community service. Woo, at least I didn't have to go to a drinking class. I think they should only have charged me 100$ because when the cop yelled at me I stopped mid stream, so I didn't really get my money's worth on that one.