First night in DC

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

JTS Brown
Tippler
Tippler

First night in DC

Post by JTS Brown »

So, it is my third day in this new city, Washington, D.C. and I and a few friends who have lived here for a while go to one of their favorite bars. At said bar I noticed my friends, having escaped the drinking culture of college for the banal existence of office living, are sipping on expensive import beer at an alarmingly slow rate. Not wishing to seem over indulgent in their newely gentrified presence I supplemented my guiness with tequila shots from the bar. Irishman and Mexican. The night progressed as a normal evening, me the drunkest and happiest, the others in the crew lamenting over some boring political point. Well, as this is a long post already and I have the best part of the story to tell......fast forward to me throwing up on the waitress (she had a full tray of tequila shots that I ordered and they ended up on the floor mixed in with guiness and the contents of my stomach). Needless to say I was ushered hastily out of the bar. Well, fuck them if they can't take a bit of puke.

I am standing outside in the garish lights of the city and walking to the next bar while proclaiming loudly, "I AM NOT THAT DRUNK.....IT WAS A FUCKING GAG REFLEX!!!" Even my friends called my words lies. Well, I start to go into the next bar and mill around waiting for someone to bring me a drink....now what happened next is no exaggeration, no lie. I woke up in a small room, really small, with a single bed and a TV on a nightstand across the room. I sit up in bed and realize that I have been put away. A facility, someone had called someone and declared me incompetent. I was in rehab. Fuck. Who did these people think they are, what would my family say, who is paying for this, can I possibly get a pain reliever? I stand, fully clothed and stumble to the bathroom. On my way I look down at the tv and their is a piece of paper which was adorned with perhaps the most beautiful words I have ever read "Red Roof Inn, Chinatown."

My hangover vanished for a moment as I began congratulating myself. I actually found the ability to check into a hotel room across town?! And in such a condition that some bars would not allow me to give them money. Well, a simple call down to the front desk and I was affirmed of my genius, when I asked to extend the check out time, the reply was like getting extra credit on a test, "Sir, we cannot extend your check out time, last night you made a request for a 3 o'clock p.m. check out." My god I was one of the greats. Not only procuring shelter, but extending my lease. As I pull the covers back from the bed, my head was whirring with what I must have looked like to the front desk at three in the morning, what with no luggage and no ability to speak english. I was told later, by the front desk clerk that I asked for "the cheapest smallest smoking room you have." Indeed that is what I received. Aww, Mr. Miller Goes to Washington, more Peckinpah than Capra, but every bit as touching....
Happiness for me is doled out in small doses of bourbon followed by large doses of bourbon.

Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by ***** »

Check out The Big Hunt while your there. And look for a little 2 story bar with dart and pool leagues, can't think of the name, but ask for Jamie the bartender. He's a right solid Irishman who will stab your liver like it's never been stabbed before.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

The Fox and Hounds is a good dive, and surprisingly reasonable (especially if you get them to supersize your drinks). The Raven is a good place to hang out too but it does get very crowded and the neighbourhood is a little sketchy.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

JTS Brown
Tippler
Tippler

ironic

Post by JTS Brown »

The big hunt was the bar that kicked me out....although I have been back since without ill-effect. I live in SE near the river, a new bar called trusty's sits near my place at 14th and penn. good people, free drinks, free jukebox plays. Can't go wrong. Hawk and Dove, Pourhouse, Finn McCools and nanny o's are also good places. Thanks for the tips. I just need to stay out of that red roof inn.
Happiness for me is doled out in small doses of bourbon followed by large doses of bourbon.

Post by ***** »

I got shitcanned at the Big Hunt. The bartender I'd met (it was Memorial Day and he was in IRA Fire Brigade regalia) took me there and then and we went to same random hotel bar in Dupont Circle where fell off my stool twice and got lost looking for the bathroom. I woke up in a Super 8 motel about 2 miles from the train station, and neither my wife not I could remember how we got there. I think that DC may be a vortex.

Renob
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Renob »

Fox and Hounds is the best. Go there during happy hour and you get a double for $3. Also try Stoney's (although they are closing soon) and Post Pub. They are both on L Street between 13th and 15th, NW.

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

heh, i love this story. i've found myself in a strange hotel room as well. when i first regained consciousness, i smacked my forehead thinking, "holy crap, what kind of sleazy one night stand did i just have? wait... why are my pants still on then?" turns out there was no sleaze, just my pals and drunken shenanigans.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

Post by ***** »

MeanOldLady wrote:heh, i love this story. i've found myself in a strange hotel room as well. when i first regained consciousness, i smacked my forehead thinking, "holy crap, what kind of sleazy one night stand did i just have? wait... why are my pants still on then?" turns out there was no sleaze, just my pals and drunken shenanigans.
Don you just call that day Friday?

Bokbiertrol
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Bokbiertrol »

This reminds me of the time me and my sister went to a cd-release party for a local punk-band.

I arrive at the bar, sis is already into the lager and i follow suit.

Well, the show was cool, but let's skip to the end of the night. I walk outside, and me, a friend of mine and her boyfriend are going to take a cab to her house (i was living in a different city then) .
By pure coincidence, i drop my lighter and, while picking it up, i look to the left.
Where, in my drunken state of mind, i see something that looks like a whitehaired girl lying in between the trees and other plants that are right beside the building.
In some kind of reflex, i decide to have a look, and while my friend is trying to get a cab, i find my sister lying unconcious.
I drag sis to the cab, drag her up the stairs of my friends house and put her on a matras besides me.

7 am. I hear someone in complete distress making a phonecall.

"Ed, can you pick me up here?"
<>
"I don;t know where i am"

this is where i wake up, remove the pillow from my head and say hi to my sister.

"Oh, Len is here! <excitement> where the fukc are we?"
-Northside of the city, pretty close to where you and Ed live actually.

Well, 10 minutes later, my then brother in law comes to pick up my sister and take her home.

Sweet little sister :-)