Pigs Eye: A fine pilsner...

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Pigs Eye: A fine pilsner...

Post by Badfellow »

Thought I'd share this one while I had a minute to kill. Not really a drinking story, but true nonetheless...

A good friend of mine worked for a short time performing machine maintenance for the now defunct Minnesota Brewing Company. The brewery was in the middle of a bottling run of Pig's Eye pilsner, bottles flying 2000 mph through a massive, 70 year old, block-long bottle washing machine. During mid-run, somewhere inside that clanking behemoth, something goes terribly wrong...
The bottle washer is spitting out returnable bottles crusted with cleaning caustic agent, unremoved labels hanging willy nilly in a sopping mess.
Union Manager shrugs: "What're ya gonna do? Shut down in the middle of a run?" Corporate would have had his balls had he done so.
Rather than shut down, the bottles go onto the bottling line as is, are cased up and shipped out the door.

No small coincidence, there is also a sewage treatment plant in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro named Pigs Eye.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

G_W
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by G_W »

For some reason my old man loves that stuff.
steved wrote:Proof is just information.
"We're all in a freak show. It's called life. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride." - Foamy the Squirrel

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

"In a pig's eye." Is that the origin of that phrase, somehow?

"DC is a toilet. And it needs a good flush." ~ Weatherman

Drunkard Chat bot sez: fiyah: i'm picturing wasabi oozing out of her parents, and im at a good pace if you have to do this cheap as fuck. but drunkards need to unite

happydrunk
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Pigs Eye: A fine pilsner...

Post by happydrunk »

Badfellow wrote:Thought I'd share this one while I had a minute to kill. Not really a drinking story, but true nonetheless...

A good friend of mine worked for a short time performing machine maintenance for the now defunct Minnesota Brewing Company. The brewery was in the middle of a bottling run of Pig's Eye pilsner, bottles flying 2000 mph through a massive, 70 year old, block-long bottle washing machine. During mid-run, somewhere inside that clanking behemoth, something goes terribly wrong...
The bottle washer is spitting out returnable bottles crusted with cleaning caustic agent, unremoved labels hanging willy nilly in a sopping mess.
Union Manager shrugs: "What're ya gonna do? Shut down in the middle of a run?" Corporate would have had his balls had he done so.
Rather than shut down, the bottles go onto the bottling line as is, are cased up and shipped out the door.

No small coincidence, there is also a sewage treatment plant in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro named Pigs Eye.
This story reminds me of the risks we all take to get a buzz!
I'm not so think as you drunk I am.

Hell is no bourbon - Ms. Savage

Because that's how you win. Gunpowder and rum.,

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: Washington. Home of JZ Knight and other nuts, which is why we drink here.

Post by daphne »

I found this on the internet
IN A PIG'S EYE - "Never, highly unlikely. Whether the originator of the saying meant that a poor idea was something to put in a pig's eye or that it would look bad to a pig's eye is a matter of speculation. As an expression of scorn the expression was picked up in 1872 by Petroleum V. Nasby (David Locke) in one of his satirical newspaper columns: 'A poetical cotashun.which.wuz, -- 'Kum wun, kim all, this rock shel fly From its firm base - in a pig's eye.'" From "The Dictionary of Cliches" by James Rogers (Ballantine Books, New York, 1985).
on the phrasefinder on Google.

Don't know if it helps or not.
RIP Frederick and my beloved GatorX
You deserve all the puffery you can get
daph and grip say "bourbony goodness!"
http://daphneszoo.com/

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

That's pretty close etymology to the beer itself. Thanks daphne.

The label itself (maybe someone out there can dig up an image) depicts a two color relief of a real gnarled, surly looking sailor type- think of the expression on Capt. Ahab's face just after he ate a really big shit sandwich. He's sporting a foam cutter beard and, most prominantly, the guy is wearing an eyepatch. I haven't tracked down the sources yet, but I think this plays some significance to the beer's name as well.

I'm tempted to write an essay on the subject.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

Badfellow wrote:That's pretty close etymology to the beer itself. Thanks daphne.

The label itself (maybe someone out there can dig up an image) depicts a two color relief of a real gnarled, surly looking sailor type- think of the expression on Capt. Ahab's face just after he ate a really big shit sandwich. He's sporting a foam cutter beard and, most prominantly, the guy is wearing an eyepatch. I haven't tracked down the sources yet, but I think this plays some significance to the beer's name as well.

I'm tempted to write an essay on the subject.
It's named after a famous pub owner in Minnesota's history. Before they built the church that would eventually give St. Paul it's name there was a tavern owner who legend hold was in some sort of accident that left him mildly deformed and possibly blind in one eye it was said to look like a pig's eye hence his bar came to be called Pig's Eye. It also served as a post office and in the days before you had uniform addresses and zip codes Pig's Eye was both. If they hadn't built the Church what we call St. Paul would have been Pig's Eye.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

http://images.picsearch.com/is?5401323737076

sorry the pic's awee bot small, dont know how to post it properly or enlarge it :roll:
mine's a pint