The Lost Weekend by Charles R. Jackson - a review

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

gnarkill
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: The Lost Weekend by Charles R. Jackson - a review

Post by gnarkill »

I've seen the film, but I've not read the book. I dig all the inventive places that he comes up with to hide his hooch, such as suspending a bottle of rye from a string hanging out of a closed window.

As far as it being an anti-alcohol movie, it definitely has that bent to it, however it's anti-alcohol in the same way Reefer Madness is anti-weed. At least in this drunkard's opinion.
IN VINO VERITAS

libertyjug68
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by libertyjug68 »

I have only seen the film and think of it as the reefer madness of BOOZE.
"There is nothing like beer to undrunk one up", Geoffry Firman, Under the Volcano.

Shot Time
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Shot Time »

lmr5150 wrote:Best line from Lost Weekend: "One drink is too many. And one hundred is not enough." Great movie.
yeah that is a truly righteous quote.
Use to be cool

lmr5150
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by lmr5150 »

gnarkill wrote:I've seen the film, but I've not read the book. I dig all the inventive places that he comes up with to hide his hooch, such as suspending a bottle of rye from a string hanging out of a closed window.

As far as it being an anti-alcohol movie, it definitely has that bent to it. However, it's anti-alcohol in the same way Reefer Madness is anti-weed. At least in this drunkard's opinion.
That is the beauty of the movie. In one way, it is anti-alcohol - look at how it destoyed his life. On the other hand, if our hero didn't have a few stiff belts, he never would have had the concept for the great love story because it took a couple of stiff belts and a coat room mix-up for him to meet the lovely Jane Wyman.

It is the paradox of alcohol.