New Orleans Story

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Bourbon and Blues
Souse
Souse

NOLA Stories

Post by Bourbon and Blues »

I'm going to start this with a brief drinking list from a quick weekend in and out of New Orleans I had a couple of weeks ago. I have been to 10 Mardi gras in a row (2000 – 2009) have been countless other times as it is truly a city for lovers of food and booze. On this particular trip, my wife and I had the baby safe at home with the grandparents so it was time to get down to boozy business.

I can say that this was hands down, the best eating experience I’ve ever had in the city. Via luck or just discrimination over time, I didn’t eat a bad thing but that won’t be discussed here so on to the drinking list. If I don’t document this now, there’s no way I’ll remember so here the rundown of my personal consumption.
Disclaimer: We drove down most of the way and stayed a bit out of town on Thursday night. Friday didn’t start until noon and Saturday began around 10:30 due to a morning midish run around the garden district.

Thursday:
Hotel late: 5 cans Miller Light

Friday:
Commander’s Palace – 3 gin martinis
Ryan’s – 1 Car bomb, 1 pint
Crescent City Brewhouse – 2 Oktoberfest beers, 20ish oz?
Napoleon House – 1 Pimm’s cup
Lafittes’s – 1 pint ?
JagerHaus – 1 20 oz Oktoberfest
Pirate’s Alley Bar – 1 pint ?
Irish Pub House – 1 pint Fat Tire

Saturday:
Mother’s – 1 Bloody Mary
French Market – 1 red sangria
Marigny Brasserie – 2 pints, a saison and something light
801 Royal – Bourbon and coke
Grocery store on Royal – Tall boy of Miller Light
Bar Tonique – 1 Manhattan, 1 Vesper, 1 Old Tom gin/rocks w/a Czech beer back, 1 20oz stout (loved this place!) Also had a sip of the bloody Mary; WICKED! They use tomato water, not the usual thick stuff.
Flanigan’s Pub – 4 Dixies
Cochon Butcher – 1 pint of who knows what
Hotel – 1 can of Miller Light
"Drink through it." - Myself and countless others

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

New Orleans Story

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Didn't happen to me, but a true story about my brother's law partner:

Doug goes down to New Orleans to work on a lawsuit, after a day at the courthouse the local council suggests stopping at a bar for a drink. The bar this guy chooses is a few blocks away, and when they get in, Doug notices they are the only white guys in the place.

All attempts to get the attention of the bartender fails, everybody is ignoring them, and Doug gets nervous and starts urging his partner to go look for another place but this guy says no, and keeps ordering from the bartender who keeps turning his back.

Suddenly, to Doug's horror, his co-council yells "HEY! NIGGER! GET ME A DRINK!"

Everybody stops and turns to stare.

After about 10 seconds the place erupts in laughter.

Seems the guy has been pulling this joke for years.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: New Orleans Story

Post by Dear Booze »

A friend of mine did this once while I was out drinking with him. The only difference was that he didn't know the bartender or any of the other customers and nobody erupted in laughter. That and we were told to get the fuck out of the bar before we were killed.

I stopped hanging out with that guy because he really enjoyed looking for fights when he was drunk.
DRINK!