Hokkaido

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Hokkaido

Post by oettinger »

"I felt like I was back on the ferry with the ground rolling back n forth beneath me"

Hahaha!
Very fine depiction there. I can totally relate to that.

Those hot baths are nothing for me on alcohol, they tend to make my heart explode. Cold is the way to go for me then
Drink!

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Funnily enough, thinking about the Sapporo museum made me remember what I was drinking the first couple of days in Hokkaido, Sapporo Classic. I'd never encountered it before as apparently they only sell it up there. Due to the fog I can't actually remember buying or drinking it much, but when I got to the brewery tasting room I remember being sick of the sight of it. The first time I encountered it was in a convenience store, probably in Otaru but maybe on the ferry. It was cheaper than most mainstream beers, it was also more watery tasting. If I didn't encounter it until Otaru, it would seem I drank enough in two days to develop quite a strong aversion.

Anyway, the old brewery is now a museum, restaurant, shopping mall. Not a working factory like the Kirin brewery in Yokohama, so no robots making beer. I'd started the day with a couple of tall bottles of Asahi Superdry over a bowl of ramen but was content to take it easy. I glanced at the museum exhibits out of politeness then checked out the tasting room. Nothing free, you bought tickets out of a machine, Y200 per glass or Y500 for a set of three, Sapporo, Classic n some old style yeasty prototype from the days before fridges. Sapporo is Japans oldest beer. You got to select a snack to go with the set n it came in a fancy wooden rack for the three glasses. Not a bad way to spend Y500. After that I hung around waiting for the Ghengis Khan (Sapporo self barbequed lamb specialty) restaurant to open at 11:30. They offered nomihoudai (all you can drink) & tabehoudai (eat), but being by myself I couldn't be bothered hanging round constantly trying to catch the waiters attention, so opted for a single serving with a couple of draft beers, which came out way cheaper.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

After walking back to my hotel n having a couple of beers on the way I spent the rest of the day chilling out in my room drinking beer n reading Pillars of the Earth. Had quite a nice room with twin beds n even a sofa. I was staying in the main nightlife district so popping out to get something to eat was no issue, then again it never is in Japan. I toyed with the idea of going to a bar or the beer festival that night but my walk to the brewery n back was enough for that day n there was always tomorrow.

Spent the next day in much the same way, then finally roused myself mid afternoon n hopped on a tram to the Mount Moira ropeway n rode up n took in the view as it got dark n the city lights came up over a few tourist priced plastic cups of Yebisu beer. After that I rode back into town n checked out the beer fest. It was a pretty cool vibe. Ten thousand students getting trashed with zero agro. Odori Park (Odori means honourable street) is a block wide boulevard running the width of the city. Each block long section was devoted to one of the major breweries. I chose the Asahi section but only had one beer as it was all tables filled with groups of young Japanese. Being alone, I couldn't see much point in lingering. The beer was good though, a big frosty mug for Y800. I was wearing a joke drinking t-shirt my wife suggested i buy in Asakusa a few years back. It has the character for alcohol in big bold yellow on the back n the front says only alcohol is belived in Japanese n English. This got a lot of attention from drunken young people n one girl got her friend to snap a pic of her standing with me, so I guess I'm on someone's Facebook page now. After that I went to a cafe bar n had a single lamb chop as a very late dinner. After that things got a bit blurry again

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Have you ever watched "Lost in Translation"?
According to my older sister living there for six years it quite fits Japan, plus old Jakuza men not being able to deal with their intake (and no drunks, in-take is no japanese drink)
Drink!

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

oettinger wrote:Have you ever watched "Lost in Translation"?
According to my older sister living there for six years it quite fits Japan, plus old Jakuza men not being able to deal with their intake (and no drunks, in-take is no japanese drink)
I have watched n enjoyed it, but can't rave about the way some folks do. Liked the bill murray parts, disliked the self indulgent chick. A friend who had travelled to japan on business said it's pretty acurate, but teaching english you don't stay in the park hyatt, so what the fuck would i know?

No drunks? Plenty of homeless in Osaka.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Casual Binger wrote:
oettinger wrote:Have you ever watched "Lost in Translation"?
I have watched n enjoyed it, but can't rave about the way some folks do. Liked the bill murray parts, disliked the self indulgent chick. A friend who had travelled to japan on business said it's pretty acurate, but teaching english you don't stay in the park hyatt, so what the fuck would i know?

No drunks? Plenty of homeless in Osaka.
Sorry I meant: No you drunards! In-sake is no drink.

Strange thing is when my sis is staying in europe or the US she is missing Japan. When she is living in Japan for a while again it`s the opposite. Where can we enjoy the best of the two worlds?
Drink!

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Hong Kong?

But I think that is the price of being an expatriate, you can never really go home because it's already moved on. The consolations are pretty good though.

I don't rate cold sake (although as a high proof hangover cure it's a lot more palatable than similar rated drinks like port or whatnot, very pure) but a flask of hot sake in winter after a few beers is great.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

The ferry ride back was a two nighter. Left Tomakomai at 7pm n arrived in Nagoya two days later at 11am. I had another day off the first day. This wasn't easy as boarding was at five n it seemed like most of the passengers were breaking out the booze straight away. Probably because half of them were truck drivers. However, I wanted to be able to remember at least some of this trip, so I decided to hold off until noon the next day. So I did. We spent the morning docked in Sendai, with the ferry feeling very empty as it seemed most people were only doing one stage of the whole trip. At noon though a replacement crowd started boarding n I headed for the vending machines. The convenience store was only open 8:30-9:30am, 6:00-7:30 & 9:30-10:30pm. I'd bought a 180ml on Suntory Kakubin blended whisky n a couple of little bottles of what appeared to be soda at the gift shop, along with some instant ramen n a packet of breadsticks, in the terminal building on the assumption that it would be cheaper than the shop on the boat. It was, but not a great deal. What I needed though, was ice. In summer in Japan you can buy big plastic cups of ice in convenience stores reasonably cheaply n this one was no exception. I just had to wait until six. I'd hit the restaurant for dinner last night n breakfast that morning n decided to forgo until the following morning as it was nice enough but being a buffet was a bit sameish. So, breadsticks for lunch n vending machine beer until six. I'd finished my book that morning n started on Crime n Punishment, which was pretty dry. Luckily they were showing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in the auditorium from 1:30. The theatre chairs were big n comfy n had little drink tables, so I just wandered back forth between the vending machines n my aisle seat for a couple of hours. I think maybe I had a nap after that until the store opened. Remember enjoying the whisky, vaguely remember preparing the noodles. Next thing I know I wake up in my bunk n it's 1:30am n the vending machines a no longer serving beer! I track down a staff member who explains that they are turned off at 11pm. Luckily there's a solitary sake vendo that's still dispensing, no doubt for the truckies. I grab a couple of smallish bottles, down one, then since the the bath is empty of other passengers at this hour I enjoyed the second one while soaking in the hot water. A good day!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

You Sir, are a fun read. Vending beer for the win!
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Casual Binger wrote:... Next thing I know I wake up in my bunk n it's 1:30am n the vending machines a no longer serving beer! I track down a staff member who explains that they are turned off at 11pm. Luckily there's a solitary sake vendo that's still dispensing, no doubt for the truckies. I grab a couple of smallish bottles, down one, then since the the bath is empty of other passengers at this hour I enjoyed the second one while soaking in the hot water. A good day!
An excellent read, young man.

Hey, I'm just surprised that there is such a thing as a vending machine that sells booze in it. I need to have one installed on the local island. One will have to row or swim to get to it. If you make it, then first one is on the house.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

mistah willies wrote:
Casual Binger wrote:... Next thing I know I wake up in my bunk n it's 1:30am n the vending machines a no longer serving beer! I track down a staff member who explains that they are turned off at 11pm. Luckily there's a solitary sake vendo that's still dispensing, no doubt for the truckies. I grab a couple of smallish bottles, down one, then since the the bath is empty of other passengers at this hour I enjoyed the second one while soaking in the hot water. A good day!
An excellent read, young man.

Hey, I'm just surprised that there is such a thing as a vending machine that sells booze in it. I need to have one installed on the local island. One will have to row or swim to get to it. If you make it, then first one is on the house.
Yeah theyre not all that. First, they shake up your beer. Second they're only outside bottlos n shut at 11. N in hotls, dunno what's up there. Bought bottle green label first time today. Blue label n gold n platinum double black everything except red black n geen are for poseurs. Green purports to mix talisker coal ila cragganmore n some other speyside hadnt heardof glenlink.. Amywaynce

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Huh. A quick web search reveals they've re released green label n the hooiskkey nerds are saying it's not the same as the old green label. The two bottle per customer limit is just a gyp. Well, I guess they got me then. Or did they? It's still a blend of single malts, still tastes good. Still says blended malt scotch whisky instead of just blended scotch whisky like all the other JWs.

Ha. Just looked up linkmore n the silence is deafening. Probably mostly that n a dram of the rest.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

In japan you beg for commercial brakes
Drink!

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

I think most countries ads are fun for outsiders. Not familiar with any of those, but know the products. Strong Zero is 9% alchopop. Dunno what the zero means, no sugar? Or just Japlish.

I couldn't help noticing this one ad that played a few times when I was over there. A handsome, elegantly dressed 30 something guy wanders around picturesque settings looking pensive. What is this? An ad for life insurance, or some such? No, mayonnaise. But of course. Not just mayonaisse but Kewpie. The most ubiquitous mayonaisse in Japan. They don't even show pensive guy WITH mayonaisse. Just a quick frame of the classic squeezie mayonnaise bottle at the end of the clip. Well, THAT explains it. Kewpie is for Haruki Murakami fans now.