Have you ever been 86'd from your favorite bar?

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Have you ever been 86'd from your favorite bar?

Post by Hugh » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 am

I haven't, but I don't know why not. Sometimes I'm a bad drunk. I can sit and drink for hours (one day I drank at my favorite dive for 10 hours) but the drunker I get the worse I behave. Yesterday I drank for seven hours, and started running my mouth. I said something I shouldn't have about one of the regulars, and she overheard me and went off. I left immediately, but I fell down out on the sidewalk. Some kind stranger came by and got an Uber for me. I haven't been back to the bar today, and I'm too embarrassed to ask any of my friends if they've heard anything about me being 86'd. Frankly, I probably have NOT been 86'd, but it is possible. But worse than that was me running my mouth and causing someone else to get upset.

If you've been 86'd from a favorite bar, do you go back and ask to be reinstated? I don't think I could do that, no matter how much I like the bar.

I'm so depressed over this I stayed in bed all day today. Perhaps I should just self-86 and never go back. I could find another dive to drink in, but god knows how long it'd be before I run my mouth there, too.

buzzsaw
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: Have you ever been 86'd from your favorite bar?

Post by buzzsaw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:28 am

Hugh wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 am
I haven't, but I don't know why not. Sometimes I'm a bad drunk. I can sit and drink for hours (one day I drank at my favorite dive for 10 hours) but the drunker I get the worse I behave. Yesterday I drank for seven hours, and started running my mouth. I said something I shouldn't have about one of the regulars, and she overheard me and went off. I left immediately, but I fell down out on the sidewalk. Some kind stranger came by and got an Uber for me. I haven't been back to the bar today, and I'm too embarrassed to ask any of my friends if they've heard anything about me being 86'd. Frankly, I probably have NOT been 86'd, but it is possible. But worse than that was me running my mouth and causing someone else to get upset.

If you've been 86'd from a favorite bar, do you go back and ask to be reinstated? I don't think I could do that, no matter how much I like the bar.

I'm so depressed over this I stayed in bed all day today. Perhaps I should just self-86 and never go back. I could find another dive to drink in, but god knows how long it'd be before I run my mouth there, too.
Story of my life, dont sweat it. Soon as i heard "she" and "86d" i knew a fella had been wronged. Hang in there man. Yes, no talking is just our game (subtly hidden)

buzzsaw
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by buzzsaw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:33 am

Honestly, i wouldnt go back there. Plenty of other places to actually have a good night at. Drinking at home alone is never beneath me either

And just to reiterate, i did the same shit as recently as early December

oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by oettinger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 am

I once stumbled into one of my favorite pubs already punch drunk. The owner refused to sell me more until a friend guarantied I`ll not break anything and even put his i.d. up for deposit for whatever reason. (I mean, what is he supposed to do with it just in case...??!?!?)
Needles to say I broke some fance whisky glass immediately.
Another time I was asked out beacuse I was mistaken for someone else. Like really? How many bald, yet long haired, 6'2, 240 pound metal heads do frequent that place?
Is it just me or did the boxed bumwine cork a little bit?

buzzsaw
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by buzzsaw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:21 am

You know those cheesy punching bag machines? Yeah... Those things always make me look like a douche, they are like a douche magnet, and I tend to be victim. Just don't forget to yell "grand champion!" when you punch the hell out of that thing, because you'll have at least 20 dudes talking shit to you afterwards... lol..

buzzsaw
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by buzzsaw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 am

oettinger wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 am
I once stumbled into one of my favorite pubs already punch drunk. The owner refused to sell me more until a friend guarantied I`ll not break anything and even put his i.d. up for deposit for whatever reason. (I mean, what is he supposed to do with it just in case...??!?!?)
Needles to say I broke some fance whisky glass immediately.
Another time I was asked out beacuse I was mistaken for someone else. Like really? How many bald, yet long haired, 6'2, 240 pound metal heads do frequent that place?
lol

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Hugh » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:52 pm

I was drinking in my back-up dive bar yesterday, and after I got drunk I decided to go back to the scene of the crime. Not only am I not 86'd, nobody had even heard any talk making the rounds about anything that I might have done Friday night. In fact, the woman who I'd upset (or maybe just thought I'd upset) came in and acted completely normal, she didn't say a thing to me despite sitting nearby. Maybe I made this whole thing bigger than it was. But goddamb - I'm glad I got my bar back! In fact I had a rip-roaring good time last night. Will be going back tonight.

WOOHOO! - to quote Homer Simpson.
Last edited by Hugh on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Hugh » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 pm

At my backup bar yesterday there was someone there who actually drank longer than I did. He was there when I arrived and still there six hours later when I left. I don't think I've ever seen that in my life, someone sitting at a bar longer than me.

Once not too long ago I began drinking in the morning and later that evening someone came into the bar and said, "Have you been here all this time?" She had been in there that morning for a drink before going to work, and came back in after work. She couldn't believe I spent the entire day on that same barstool.

BTW, that's how Bukowski used to drink when he lived in Philadelphia. He would be in before the bar even opened (the opening bartender would let him in early) and he'd still be there when it closed. He'd sometimes go out for a nap in the alley or a nearby graveyard during the day. He said kids would come by and poke him with sticks while he was passed out. He also used to get in fights with the night shift bartender, it was portrayed in the movie Barfly.

But that's what I believe bars are for. To get drunk. I used to feel embarrassed if I thought people noticed I'd been sitting there like a lump on a log all day. Not anymore. If somebody wants to go to a bar to socialize, good for them. But I don't do that. I'm there to get drunk.

Patchez
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Patchez » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 am

I've been 86'd from quite a few bars. They become a self imposed lifetime ban for me as I won't set foot in any of them again. Fuck 'em. They won't let me free the inner monkey on occasion? Then they don't need all the cash that rolls outta my pockets on the easier days either.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Rye and Coke
Souse
Souse

Post by Rye and Coke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Hugh wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:52 pm
I was drinking in my back-up dive bar yesterday, and after I got drunk I decided to go back to the scene of the crime. Not only am I not 86'd, nobody had even heard any talk making the rounds about anything that I might have done Friday night. In fact, the woman who I'd upset (or maybe just thought I'd upset) came in and acted completely normal, she didn't say a thing to me despite sitting nearby. Maybe I made this whole thing bigger than it was. But goddamb - I'm glad I got my bar back! In fact I had a rip-roaring good time last night. Will be going back tonight.

WOOHOO! - to quote Homer Simpson.
Of course no one said anything, no one remembered! LOL! Everyone at the time was probably in the midst of a blackout anyway.
"I feel sorry for people who don’t drink or do drugs. Because someday they’re going to be in a hospital bed, dying, and they won’t know why." - Redd Foxx

oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by oettinger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:49 pm

I got kicked out off a bar in Exeter England once. The bartender said "you`ve had enough"! And my reply was No.
I ended up sleeping in some park nearby and Palinka was looking for me: fat metal dude, red bandana, slightly loaded, seen any?

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 am

Ah Exeter.

I was in the dolphin or whatever there and got pretty hammered. Took me a while to find my way back and didn't manage to close the door behind me when I finally figured my way back to Palinka's place. Someone was going to work place on a bus stop and helped me with directions in the X of AM hours, had a short conversation and stumbled forth. I recall asking if I should have one more but can't remember if the place was closing or the answer was no. Exeter is built weird. I usually am pretty good at navigating my drunk ass in places I've never been before. I've only gotten lost like 2-3 times in a city I don't know from prior.

Same outing where I almost got in to a fight because someone's drunk local ass figured out I was polish plumber taking their jobs. I did show him my passport but that made little difference to the gentleman at question. I also remember their gin tonics were too frigging sweet there.

oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by oettinger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Exeter is confusing as hell, downtown is a freaking drunk trap

Brother Bluto
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Brother Bluto » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:49 pm

Never 86’ed. From anywhere.

I have been told by some of my close friends/bartenders that it’s tome for me to stop drinking/go home/leave for the night/quit breaking glasses when I set them down.

Never walked out the door. Never forced to leave. Certainly never 86’ed.

If it’s your favorite bar I’d think you want to help take care of the place. Sure, you can sloppy, but it shouldn’t be the place for the worst of your behavior.