philadelphia bars

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: philadelphia bars

Post by Resident Asshole »

I was in Philly recently for my sister's wedding and I did not get to make it out on the town at all due to familial obligations.

Sounds like I didn't miss a ton unless I want a cap in the ass. I do think it was a bit rude of my new in-laws not to take me out on the town tho, especially considering I've already done that for them in my town. Whatever.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

strugglebunny
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by strugglebunny »

I'm sure there are great places around here, but I'm picky and I probably don't know the right people. My drunkard crew is back in the Lehigh Valley area, and I haven't found anyone that embraces drinking as whole heartily in Philly.
Lager makes me happy. Vodka makes me mean. I'm a heavy metal, drinking, driving, alcohol machine. --"Drink Till I Die" Bad News

old crow
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by old crow »

my only experience in philly was getting lucky one weekend with the dice and catching a bus down there with my roommate, stayed down the street from those two ill cheesesteak places, i forget the names, and i remember a fountain that played frank sinatra songs or something and and sleeping on a floor then drinking black velvet for a while in the bathroom so my roommate could make his moves on some strange girl then the next night somewhere outside the city at some bmx dude's house building a gigantic bonfire between the ill dirt jumps in his backyard completely shitfaced dragging whole trees out of the forest and throwing them on the fire most definitely an excellent weekend and philly is alright in my book but i still haven't made it to a bar there.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Resident Asshole wrote:I was in Philly recently for my sister's wedding and I did not get to make it out on the town at all due to familial obligations.

Sounds like I didn't miss a ton unless I want a cap in the ass. I do think it was a bit rude of my new in-laws not to take me out on the town tho, especially considering I've already done that for them in my town. Whatever.
Its not like you're going to get shot at every bar there.

But you certainly need a local to find you the true gems

Me? I'd begin any tour of the city at McGlinchey's.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

redshift
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by redshift »

I heard (or rather saw) Paddy's pub is pretty decent. Apparently it's the worst pub in all of Philly. According to It's always sunny in PA anyways.
The What?? I hate signature images!

willerror
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by willerror »

I used to drink in Philly in the early '90s--Dirty Frank's on 13th was the bar of choice. A shame I wasn't the drinker then that I am now but I recall always having a great time. I remember one Halloween--god, 1992?!--someone dressed as a Mummer, but upon closer inspection, they had subtle pale makeup on and discreet vampire fangs. Also, someone had a dildo on their head. Not me.

Tmurtaugh
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Tmurtaugh »

Center City Philly is a safe place to drink. I'm a native, and I go to bars and restaurants 3, 4 times a week. I do 1 or 2 happy hours after work Mon.-Fri., and of course I'm out almost every Friday and Saturday. If you plan on closing a place and staggering to your hotel at 2:30 am, you better be with a large group, or get a cab, because there are muggers around, just like any other big city in America.
The place mentioned earlier where there was a shooting, club Egypt, was a dance club, not a bar, and it was frequented by punks.

A few nice places in Philly:
Tavern 17 (It's a hotel bar, on 17th and Walnut, but it doesn't have hotel bar prices.)
Irish Pub (There are 2 of them, same ownership, I think, on 11th and Walnut and 20th Street. They carry a really nice beer on tap, brewed in Ireland,
O'Hara's Irish Red.)
McGillen's Old Ale House. Always crowded. It's sometimes impossibe to find a spot at the bar.
Moriarty's, nice draft selection.
Triumph on 2nd Street. They brew their own.
Cooperage Wine and Whisky, newer place, but they make a tasty mint julep.
A note on South Street bars. There are some good ones--Brauhaus Schmitz, Manny Browns--but you'll see a lot of high school aged kids crowding the sidewalks.
I don't go there too much.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Man, I just really love McGillan's. I went there on Parade Day in March, they had Shepherd's Pie and dancers and the pitchers of Lager and PBR flowed like wine ...
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re:

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Sully73 wrote:
Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:52 am
There was this Irish Bar in Center City that two of my old co-workers took me, I can't remember the name of it, and there was this really cool bar/cafe right next to the Palestra..Really neat.
Kelly's Irish Pub?

About two to three blocks from city hall on Broad Street?

If so I used to hit that joint up back in 81