Tomfoolery's Largo, FL

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

JamesonWilde
Souse
Souse

Tomfoolery's Largo, FL

Post by JamesonWilde »

I moved up to Brandenburg, KY last year from Largo, FL. The people sucked and I hated the weather, but my god, the bars. THE BARS. A mere 5 minute walk in one direction would take me to a bar called Timeout. It was usual sports/college bar. Not my deal. However, with a little more effort by walking an extra 15 minutes in the opposite direction, I was brought to the holy land.
The little dive was tucked away behind a Wendy's in a small strip housing an old chinese laundry and unused space on the other side. Dark and dingy, cheap drinks, grizzled and experienced drinkers. It was my wet dream. At the tentative age of 21 I made my first adventure in on Christmas day (my birthday is 8 days before). Yes, Christmas day. I slowly grabbed the door handle and pulled gently with cautious optimism. And lo' and behold. The place was open! I stepped inside and as the door closed behind me was met with near total darkness.
As I stood in the opening allowing my eyes to adjust it all came into focus. One pool table, two dart boards side by side with hardly enough room between to play, a bar randomly running down the middle of the place, a small stage to my left, 15 older t.v.s haphazardly sitting on plywood shelves lined the walls just below the ceiling. And then there, the main bar. 20 or so stools sat around the old and beaten up wood. 5 men sat at the bar, all looking at me over their shoulder, scoffing at the boy who looked too young to be in their safe haven. I stepped up to the bar, brought out my ID and ordered a pitcher of Amberbock on draft. "$6.00" WHAT?! Shaking with joy at the low price I dished out my money with a couple extra bucks for the bartender and took a seat on my stool. It rocked in an unsteady way from 2 different legs missing their caps. I talked to the men there that day and drank on deep into the night until close.
I started going back more and more until I was there 5-6 days out of the week. I became a regular, known by the 5 bartenders, all the other regulars who had been there for so much longer than I, and the owner. I was accepted into the inner circle.
I would go in the afternoons and spend my day and night there, shelling out my hard earned cash to the place I had come to love. Buying drinks for my fellow drinkers and having the favor returned. I started bringing only the people I most trusted into the bar. I didn't want the wrong crowd in infecting my temple. When I finally moved away a few years later, they threw me a party that was too insane to have committed to memory. So many drunken nights and days spent there. Even if it was just myself and the bartender or a few others, we could sit and talk, or say nothing at all. Anything said or left unsaid was always the perfect thing at that moment.
I always tried to avoid the karaoke nights which brought the crowd I hated but were the money making nights that allowed the place to stay open for the rest of us. I still miss this bar everyday. I'd go in on occasion to help out my bartenders and have some drinks, laugh at the show, and clean up the place afterwards so it would be ready for the real drinkers the next day.
Now, sitting here in Kentucky where liquor is only served in the strip clubs in my area which are 30 minutes away, or Louisville which is nearly an hour. Alcohol isn't served at all in my county on Sundays, I grow more homesick for this place each day. Luckily I'm going back down next week for a month and will walk back in, meet the new regulars, and take my seat among my fellow drunkards and favorite bartenders from whom I've been too long removed.
If any of you are ever in Largo, give this place a chance. You won't regret it. 1.25 draft, 6.00 pitchers, and 2.00 wells.
Attachments
The green sign casts a beautifully haunting glow after staring at the gaudy lighting of the Wendy's and Walgreens that surround this amazing establishment.
The green sign casts a beautifully haunting glow after staring at the gaudy lighting of the Wendy's and Walgreens that surround this amazing establishment.
l.jpg (30.02 KiB) Viewed 6404 times

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Tomfoolery's Largo, FL

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Sounds excellent, I'm living in Tampa now, but I'll have to take a trip 'cross the bay and check it out.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

General E. Fubar
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Tomfoolery's Largo, FL

Post by General E. Fubar »

Damn and I thought I was onto something with being a regular at Tommys' (Tomfooleries) on the Plaza in Kansas City, so much for being there instead of being at work at American Century
"I hope you like Guinness, I find it a refreshing substitute to... food."
- O'Neill

If I stop drinking all at once, I'm afraid the cumulative hangover will kill me.
- Archer