The Pit & Pendulum, Nottingham, England

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Buddhafella
Souse
Souse

The Pit & Pendulum, Nottingham, England

Post by Buddhafella »

I once spend 5 days in Nottingham, I was there to see the Dalai Lama speak, but came down with a debilitating bout of flu.
Rather than just lying in my hotel bed I did a round of the local chemists and bought one of everything you could buy over the counter and made a cocktail of herculean proportions and decided to head out to a bar I'd heard about, The Pit & Pendulum.

Awesome gothic bar with dark wood tables and chairs, rock music playing and toilets hidden behind book shelves. The attention to detail was awesome. They had pitchers of cocktails names after the 7 deadly sins and I sat alone with two pitchers of Wrath.

I dont even recall what was in it.

I later text my other half such a ridiculous amount of unreadable gibberish that one of the words has now become a used by us to describe someone who is off their face on a mixture of medicine and booze, the word is 'Gilbummed.' I used it in a text and top this day still have no idea what I was trying to text.

Ah, The Pit & Pendulum, you rocked my world.
cherchez la femme : cherchez la folie

perfectly pickled
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: The Pit & Pendulum, Nottingham, England

Post by perfectly pickled »

It's a damn fine place for a session, but this place nearby beats it http://www.triptojerusalem.com/gallery

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jags »

Me thinks I would like to try a pitcher of lust.
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Buddhafella wrote:Awesome gothic bar with dark wood tables and chairs, rock music playing and toilets hidden behind book shelves. The attention to detail was awesome. They had pitchers of cocktails names after the 7 deadly sins and I sat alone with two pitchers of Wrath.
This has got to be owned by the same people who own the Jekyll & Hyde in Edinburgh because they have the exact same things, even the drink specials.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

perfectly pickled wrote:It's a damn fine place for a session, but this place nearby beats it http://www.triptojerusalem.com/gallery
This has been my pub of choice for four days somewhere during the end of the nineties.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

Whilst stationed in UK during the 80's we frequented a place in Ipswich called the Earl Roberts. Mainly because it was the one place in town that had good ole 'Murican Budweiser on tap. the one other place I remember going to was the Cock and Pie as that was where the local lasses that were around our age gathered. Alas so did the local young men, which caused a few, nay, more than a few reenactments of the War of Rebellion. Most of which ended when the local constabulary broke it up. then off to the kabob shop for grease bombs shared with those we were beating on, or being beaten by, mere hours ago. Ahh.... memories, or flashbacks.
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Bubblez wrote:Whilst stationed in UK during the 80's we frequented a place in Ipswich called the Earl Roberts. Mainly because it was the one place in town that had good ole 'Murican Budweiser on tap. the one other place I remember going to was the Cock and Pie as that was where the local lasses that were around our age gathered. Alas so did the local young men, which caused a few, nay, more than a few reenactments of the War of Rebellion. Most of which ended when the local constabulary broke it up. then off to the kabob shop for grease bombs shared with those we were beating on, or being beaten by, mere hours ago. Ahh.... memories, or flashbacks.
Sounds like good old bar brawls. Today they always have to end with someone nearly getting killed it seems
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

oettinger wrote:
Bubblez wrote:... then off to the kabob shop for grease bombs shared with those we were beating on, or being beaten by, mere hours ago. Ahh.... memories, or flashbacks.
Sounds like good old bar brawls. Today they always have to end with someone nearly getting killed it seems
Indeed. Folks used to take pride in a good fight. Nowadays, it's just fear and rage to a much larger degree. I blame it on FaceFuck (FB). Everyone thinks that they are too important to lose a fight properly, or win it graciously.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

mistah willies wrote:
oettinger wrote:
Bubblez wrote:... then off to the kabob shop for grease bombs shared with those we were beating on, or being beaten by, mere hours ago. Ahh.... memories, or flashbacks.
Indeed. Folks used to take pride in a good fight. Nowadays, it's just fear and rage to a much larger degree. I blame it on FaceFuck (FB). Everyone thinks that they are too important to lose a fight properly, or win it graciously.
Amen to that.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

Mr Boozificator wrote: Sounds like good old bar brawls. Today they always have to end with someone nearly getting killed it seems
Indeed. Folks used to take pride in a good fight. Nowadays, it's just fear and rage to a much larger degree. I blame it on FaceFuck (FB). Everyone thinks that they are too important to lose a fight properly, or win it graciously.[/quote]
Amen to that.[/quote]

That's what made the 80's great. Usually at the kabob shop those who won AND lost ate, brought out the pocket beer and shared. Then we got to do it all over the following weekend.
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Today they are just to afraid to take an ass whooping. I always said if you've never lost a fight you haven't been in enough.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Patchez wrote:Today they are just to afraid to take an ass whooping. I always said if you've never lost a fight you haven't been in enough.
Wise words.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

this face is too pretty for fighting
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Mr. Viking wrote:this face is too pretty for fighting
Not really, it`s I just washed my hands and such
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

oettinger wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:this face is too pretty for fighting
Not really, it`s I just washed my hands and such
Yes. Don't use your face to beat people's fists. Engage only in slap fights, but no scratching or hair pulling. Works like a charm for me