The Dive Bar Debate

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: The Dive Bar Debate

Post by shawnonious »

Anywhere my band plays.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Another Tipsy Sailor
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Another Tipsy Sailor »

maltlicker wrote:"32 Diviest Dive Bars in America"
https://impulcity.com/articles/the-32-d ... in-america

I have no idea how accurate/well done this list is. I've only been to #15 StageDoor, Las Vegas which is fairly divey but intentionally so.
(I might have been to the Green Parrot in Key West but that would have been decades ago)
As a midwesterner who spent many a year in Milwaukee, and has closed Wolskis, the line
Wisconsin basically invented the dive bar...
warms my black and salty heart.

My favorite Milwaukee dive, the Riverwest Pub, has closed it's doors in my absence, but it was a glorious shithole. You couldn't open the door until the bartender buzzed you in. A bottle of Blatz was a dollar. The dartboard was next to the bathroom door; you risked an eye if you were in a hurry. It was a little brightly lit, but otherwise perfect.

I think I'll go do a shot in memory. Whatever memories I have left.
"Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way."
-Charles Bukowski

I was probably drunk when I said that, but I meant it.

The second best thing about a shot of Malört is the face the bartender makes when you order it.

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

So, so many, in my area alt least have fallen prey to the corporate cookie cutter of a hell hole that poses as, well, what corporate shills say your local should be. Here in PA laws were that a liquor license had to stay within the boundaries of the county it came from. When this was the law of the land there were dives a plenty, so many in fact that to get 86'd at one for say 30 days, you could move on and do the same in 5 or 6 more places and still have a dozen or so to keep you entertained for a 12 or 16 hour shift of boozing. Then the much hated corporations came to the LCB (Liquor Control Board) and convinced them that if they let the licenses go state wide we rich conglomerates can run up the price of said licenses and lo thou shalt reap the taxation benefits. Then came the war on dives. See, even though the law stated licenses could now go anywhere in the state, no one was giving up the cash cow that dad or grandpa started and then handed down. Some of these bars were into 3rd and 4th generation owners. One or two were well beyond that. So the evil bastards that want to destroy that which I hold sacred got into local politics and developed new laws wherein they could get the bars shut down as nuisance bars. Talk to a few neighbors, especially the ones who recently moved in, get them up in arms about noise, trash etc. Seven or ten complaints later and we have just freed up a license that once sold for 250k and we bid it up to 1 or 2 million and poof. Not all of the dives on this list we closed in such a manner but many were. Help me out here Patchez, there was one down from the old man's place when he was over on Granger? Forget the name of the one on RT30 where we saw David Allan Coe too.

Baer Avenue
Carlisle Street Tavern
The Bunker
Bill's Place
Boxer Bar (not the real name but it was a basement bar downtown that you went to if you were angry and looking for a fight. The guarantee was this is where you would find it)
Chicken Shack
Paper Town Inn
Hustlers
and probably a bunch from across town that may or may not be gone yet as I don't get over there much.

Dammit, Patchez we need to get J some gas money( we will definitely require a DD) and make a dive tour of Hanover. Soon. Before corporate America eats them all.
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

Bubblez wrote:
Dammit, Patchez we need to get J some gas money( we will definitely require a DD) and make a dive tour of Hanover. Soon. Before corporate America eats them all.

The Dive Bar Crawl
We must prepare ourselves properly, for this will be no sprint to the finish. This will be a marathon, a war of attrition, if you will. The hour we jump off will be early. The hour of our glorious triumph, will be late. We may not be able to speak the words glorious triumph, but this fact shall not diminish our accomplishment.
This feat must be documented for the others on this board who uplift our righteous cause. Documented in video. In pictures. In words, incoherent though they may be. Documented I say, in song, in poems, in odes, hell even in interpretive dance if needs must.
These wonderful bastions of un-undrunkenness are slowly becoming a thing of the past, at least in my town. Darkly stained walls, deeply stained carpets/floors, advertising turned a scabrous yellow from a combo platter of age and nicotine. The faux leather on the stools split and cracked with decades of working class asses having slid wearily up on the perch to procure the elixir of bliss at the end of a work shift. Therefore we must gird our loins for battle, pad our wallets with plunder and give them the salute they deserve.
More to come once we plan this adventure in debauchery. Yes, yes I am well aware that the best plan only lasts until the first shot is fired, but there will be a crack team of veterans on this mission. All are experienced soldiers in the good fight, we will improvise, drink and overcome.
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

As long as there are grumpy old men and a drinking lower class here in germany our dive bars won`t die. Both get more in numbers so I`m safe for now.
We call them corner bars though.
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

In 2010, Playboy magazine described a dive bar as:
“A church for down-and-outers and those who romanticize them, a rare place where high and low rub elbows — bums and poets, thieves and slumming celebrities. It’s a place that wears its history proudly.”

This may be the best description of a dive bar.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Patchez wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:20 am
In 2010, Playboy magazine described a dive bar as:
“A church for down-and-outers and those who romanticize them, a rare place where high and low rub elbows — bums and poets, thieves and slumming celebrities. It’s a place that wears its history proudly.”

This may be the best description of a dive bar.
Lovely
Drink!

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Anybody ever been in a Denny's Lounge? They were pretty much clean dive bars, which seems like a contradiction. I don't know if they even exist, anymore. There are none in Louisville, supposedly because some former NBA player who is a prohibitionist bought a controlling share of all the Denny's around here. I went in one just after turning 21. No regular lighting, just too many neon signs and no windows. Odd.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Frankennietzsche wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:54 pm
Anybody ever been in a Denny's Lounge? ...

The only Denny's we have up here serve fake cheeze on their boxed eggs and pancakes. The lighting is nicely ugly, but you have to sneak in your own booze.

Then the folks with kids start shouting.

Maybe it's not the same

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

mistah willies wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Maybe it's not the same
Nope, sounds about the same, now.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Frankennietzsche wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:36 pm
mistah willies wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Maybe it's not the same
Nope, sounds about the same, now.
At least we have this place to escape such real life woes. It's a good place to sit, talk, bust balls, and most importantly, DRINK!

It's always been this way here, yup.

Some go, some come, and that's what she said.

Now don't mention her name.

For Bacchus' sake.

Hmmm. Does Bacchus drink rice wine? It's quite tasty, cold and unfiltered. With little chunks of rice. Moon Stone.

Wait, got a little off track betting there.

Black rum. I'll bet on that.

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

While bendering lately I've taken a liking to what is probably seediest bar within 100 miles from my apartment. Where else can you pass out in the table at noon in Finland without being thrown out (well actually a few places but not if you're there for the first time). Spend afternoon there and just listen and you will probably hear varying shady business ranging from questionable to highly illegal being dealt. Yet everyone seems to work under basic assumption of "not my fucking business". Weird place. Also you can enter and exit without being spotted by people in the street.

And none of that "I think you've had enough sir" shit in there.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

There are not one but two dive bars in my neighborhood well within walking distance. They are small and Spartan, if you know what that means. So it's only you and what you bring to the bar that makes it an enjoyable and intoxicating experience. It's where everyone knows your name and you are always welcome.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Lush City wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:17 pm
There are not one but two dive bars in my neighborhood well within walking distance. They are small and Spartan, if you know what that means. So it's only you and what you bring to the bar that makes it an enjoyable and intoxicating experience. It's where everyone knows your name and you are always welcome.
Don't forget the dank.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Lush City wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:17 pm
Spartan, if you know what that means.
There's a giant hole in the center of the bar you can kick people into?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice