LA Drunks?

Are you planning a booze up? Conscript soldiers for your personal war on whiskey here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Minx
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

LA Drunks?

Post by Minx »

Stu and I are headed to LA for a weekend in May. Santa Monica area. Where to drink?
Saving my money for unicorn rides, and beer.

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: LA Drunks?

Post by Rooster »

Minxy! Talk to Skot if you can. He took me to a sweet bar in Santa Monica that sold fries in a mini-shopping cart and had a bunch of sweet brews on tap.

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

PS... is this "Stu", Lex Luthor? Has he an alias these days?

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

Rooster wrote:Minxy! Talk to Skot if you can. He took me to a sweet bar in Santa Monica that sold fries in a mini-shopping cart and had a bunch of sweet brews on tap.
That would be "My Father's Office" on Montana Avenue. It's beer & wine only, but it's a GREAT selection of beers. Food is good too.

My favorite "old skool" (circa 1959) joint right down on Ocean near the pier is Chez Jay. Jay is no longer with us, but his spirit is. It's really a restaurant, but the bar is pretty great. Peanut shells litter the floor, etc. I met MOL and Dr. DB there years ago when I was down there one of many work trips.

Another great old place down on Main that's even predates Chez Jay is The Galley. Again, it's a restaurant, but the bar is fun.

Harvelle's is a great old blues/jazz club. Just ask Peetie.

There are a fair number of bars in SM, most touristy or lame, and some rather interesting. I can shoot you some other recommendations if you want me to. Just let me know the criteria that makes a great bar for you.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Martini Time knows all the best places in the local scenes of every Californian city.

Have you ever considered writing a tour guide?

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

Chimneyfish wrote:Martini Time knows all the best places in the local scenes of every Californian city. Have you ever considered writing a tour guide?
HA!! Thanks, but that's WAAAAYYY too much effort... that writing thing. Besides, I'd need a Central Valley correspondent to cover territory I never get to.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Barca

Post by Barca »

Martini Time wrote: Besides, I'd need a Central Valley correspondent to cover territory I never get to.

...or a weekend off
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

Martini Time wrote:
Chimneyfish wrote:Martini Time knows all the best places in the local scenes of every Californian city. Have you ever considered writing a tour guide?
HA!! Thanks, but that's WAAAAYYY too much effort... that writing thing. Besides, I'd need a Central Valley correspondent to cover territory I never get to.
I grew up in Modesto... there is nothing in the Central Valley worth a drunk of your caliber.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Martini Time wrote:Besides, I'd need a Central Valley correspondent to cover territory I never get to.
I'm your guy.