May the 1st used to be cool

Are you planning a booze up? Conscript soldiers for your personal war on whiskey here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

May the 1st used to be cool

Post by oettinger »

Oh boy where do I start. The 1st of May is International Workers' Day or just "Day of Work" here in germany. There may be lots of traditions and stuff going on this day (I`m not talking about the Nazis and later Punks triyng to take it over), but I`m not really into traditional things per se.

But people get drunk everywhere, this is a known fact here.
I can`t tell about the other bigger citys around but in this town sometime in the last 20 years it was declared that it no longer was termed "party into May" but rather "Race into May".
That meant every other idiot driving a 500 buck car with a 20 buck spoiler and an even cheaper but louder pipe was pretending to be Dale Earnhardt all around inner city limits.
At the high time some twelve years ago they even turned parts of main street into a stupid drag strip. Police was totally overstrained. Crowds of assholes were polluting our main gas-station and beer reservoir that night.
I was that night that we drunkards fought back with hordes of drunks crowding "our" place and having the party of our lives.

Fast forward to today, the stupid racing is still going on around town (without drag racing atleast) but the drunks are gone and even more stupid wannabe pimps are roaming the streets, looking for trouble to impress their hooker girlfriends.
I`m thankfull to have made it back from the gas station with my late night beer without bloody body parts and that`s a damn shame! Later this night I`ll be watching some sports and listen through the open window to the sound of the dozen of police cars and ambulances.

There was the same topic in a recent new years eve thread, that crowds of stupid people and only a slight of uncontrolled alcohol consumption makes for a very unpleasant enviroment.

Are there any holidays, locas events you know of that were ruined also?
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: May the 1st used to be cool

Post by mistah willies »

It's probably due to the idea that some folks seem to need an excuse to cut loose. Drinking is an art form, isn't that right? Such a thing cannot be mastered in a single night of debauchery. It is like a garden: it requires care and nurturing, tending and weeding and sunlight. My easel is an empty glass, and my palette is colored with the hues of lovely Miss Ethyl and all her sisters.

DRINK!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

And rum is your lawnmover
Drink!

G_W
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by G_W »

A old guy at work had the best line when it came to May 1st.
Elmer wrote: Hooray, hooray, it's the first of May! Outdoor fucking starts today!
steved wrote:Proof is just information.
"We're all in a freak show. It's called life. Buy a ticket and enjoy the ride." - Foamy the Squirrel

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

oettinger wrote:And rum is your lawnmower
You've met Miguel?

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

oettinger wrote:...Crowds of assholes were polluting our main gas-station and beer reservoir...
Ohhhhh...The horrors of Gas Station booze...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Rolling on the ground Palinka, that read was excellent!
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I think May the 5th has trumped you. I mean now that I know about an obscure reason to get loaded on the 1stIll try and run it till the 5th.

Workers Day to Mexican Independence day. Seems reasonable enough of a reason to drink for 5 days.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

And thinking about that, pentecost is around the corner, that means more holidays here in germany. So lets strecht it a bit
Drink!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Don't forget the "official" Star Wars Day, May 4th (you can work why they chose that day from that).
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Patchez wrote:I think May the 5th has trumped you. I mean now that I know about an obscure reason to get loaded on the 1stIll try and run it till the 5th.

Workers Day to Mexican Independence day. Seems reasonable enough of a reason to drink for 5 days.
Must correct, only because subject matter is relevant to my location. Mexican Independence Day is September 16. Cinco de Mayo commemorates something else. And of course, here in the US, it is the equivalent of St. Patty's Day vs how they view it in Ireland. An excuse to drink. Pity, them, we must. Those pour souls who actually require an excuse to drink.

Let us drink.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I think that came out wrong. I don't need an excuse to drink. It just gives the weekend warriors a little nudge into joining in a 5 day bender.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Patchez wrote:I think that came out wrong. I don't need an excuse to drink. It just gives the weekend warriors a little nudge into joining in a 5 day bender.
Oh make no mistake, by "those pour souls", I meant the non-drunkards. They use such holidays as an excuse to drink, and little else.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

So, it turns out that May 4th is much "cooler"*.

* Godsdamned nerds better not step on my lawn...
ドロンケン
ImageImage