The Ultimate New Years Eve Party

Are you planning a booze up? Conscript soldiers for your personal war on whiskey here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

The Ultimate New Years Eve Party

Post by shawnonious »

So my number one drinking buddy and I are considering throwing together a new years eve party since all of our friends are shit and not throwing any. I figured you bastards would be the perfect source to make it the greatest party to go down in our social group. He and I have thrown parties before, and they were fun, but mostly focused on one game (slap cup) and smoking cigarettes outside. I want this to be the end all be all. Here are some bullet points I have so far, you guys want to add onto it? (small notes: My apartment is a top story apartment that was added onto the building as a single batchelor pad on the roof. I have a tight kitchen, an open living room, an entry-way foyer that's kinda tight but perfect beer pong size [near the stairs, granted, but I'll set house rules], and the deck opens out onto the whole building's 7th story roof.)

So here's some points I have to improve our party plans.

1: He who brings one beer gets access to the GOOD beer. Craft stuff we'll provide. (we always provide booze free at parties that people can get drunk on, but encourage bringing supplements). Bringing more girls grants free access to what will be a solid as hell liquor stock.

2: Slap Cup in the living room, Circle of Death/Ring of Fire (whatever you call it. So many damned names. We call it those two, it's the one with a circle of cards around a beer can, and you slide the cards under the tab. If you know it, you recognize it now), beer pong out in the foyer thing

3: Get at least the deck lit up, somehow (no power outlets outside, and I don't want to fork out for a generator. This might not work)

4: Find some way to utilize this roof space for something besides smoking cigarettes. (It's got a tall ass guard all the way around, somebody would literally have to be suicidal to go over it, and undrunk enough to climb it)

5: Shitloads of coffee. Shitloads. Maybe redbull and things. I don't want this fizzling out.

6: Better music control. Now have a boombox with CD player. Before we used my PS3 through the TV, which wasn't optimal - poor sound, AND there's always this danger of it turning into a "Youtube party", which is the shittiest party. I've been to a few shitty hosts threw where everybody just huddled around the TV taking turns pulling up Youtube videos. I almost became like those over-the-guard-rails-on-the-roof guys I mentioned in point 4.

7: Going to clean everything out of the living room into the bedroom like my computer, guitar, etc, to create more room.

8: Will make it clear if anybody can crash on the floor if they get sloshed

I need more to make this the ultimate party. People have hung us out to dry on previous parties we tried arranging, ending with my drinking buddy, his girlfriend, and I getting drunk bitching about our shitty friends that don't party. I'm going balls to the wall inviting people since there APPARENTLY aren't any other parties in our circle. I need all the suggestions you seasoned fellows have. College party, obviously.

Oh, and of course, a midnight champagne toast. Considered charging for this and making this a perk of bringing at least one girl along with you. Not sure on that, sounds pretty asshole-ish though.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Zog
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: The Ultimate New Years Eve Party

Post by Zog »

I'm way too drunk to decipher this shit accurately but, as far as I can figure, you go to a College where nobody parties. They like to look at youtube and women are in demand and hard to find. Even though you offer craft beer, a well stocked bar, and some sort of sky fucking top apartment, nobody wants to party with you.

Dude, where the fuck do you go to school? Brigham Young? I mean really.

Send me a train ticket. I'll show up. And yes I'll piss on your rug, even if it does tie the room together.

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Miracles of booze never cease to amaze me. You got a great place for a party, some decent games and let uncle booze do it's magic. Oh and one thing about redbull - mixed with alcohol it can send some leithweights to a hospital. Nobody wants that. One thing that always brought me a lot of fun - drunken karaoke. You might want to try setting up one.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

First step is skip the games. If people need games to get interested in drinking, you've invited the wrong people. If you can't live with out the games, at least loose the pong. Stick to card games. Only 4 people can play pong. Card drinking games, like Asshole, encourage drinking in a larger group. More social.

Other than that it seems to be a great stage for one hell of a rager.

As for lighting outside on the deck you could zip tie some of those tiki torches to the rail. Tie that into a tiki bar theme for your party and boom. Make Zombies and Mai Tais, the chicks dig 'em and the guys like 'em cause they have assloads of liquor in 'em.

Also find something in the line of moonshine. A little illicitness is a great enticement. Everyone wants to be bad right.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Karaoke? I dont know, I might embarass myself to no end haha. I know drunk me would say "Hey, you're the host, you HAVE to do it!"

I see what you mean on beer pong, but a couple people in our circle really love it and have asked for it. Personally, I can't stand the game. Way too slow, not social, boring as hell (and I'm terrible at it. Probably the real reason), but lots of people do. I like the tiki idea actually. I'll throw that at my buddy, although I'm not a huge fan of themed parties. Haven't tried it myself, but it always feels really goofy, for lack of a better term, and not in the good way. And moonshine, eh? I like it. I'll talk to my one friend and see if he can round some up

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Fireworks.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Username
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Username »

Watch 'National Lampoon's Animal House' and learn how to throw a toga party
whistling (whistling) whistling (whistling) dark (dark) dark (dark)

Zog
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Zog »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:Fireworks.
Hell yeah! No roof top party would be complete without ordinance!

Oh and the Animal House reference is spot on too!

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

In Soviet Russia, the Party throws YOU!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Fireworks huh? Sounds like a major fire hazard! Just saying. There's always a possibility to burn stuff down when you put anything related to fire near drunk people.

I don't know what's the deal here. Usually it's enough to have booze and some people - you got yourself a party. Anything will do. Not sure about beer pong. Who would play that crap! Apparently some crazy people would.

Oh, there's a fun game for fun loving people. It's called "freckles". You take a dump and/or puke in a predestined place. Everyone gathers around the precious pile. One of the contestants hit the pile with his palm HARD. The winner is whoever got the most "freckles" on his/her face. Haha :D

Drinking Rat
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Drinking Rat »

Here's my advice:

Be sure to get roaring drunk yourself, lead from the front and all that

Get some good warm snackfood involved, people'll stay happy drunks for longer with full bellies

I made a custom version of ring of fire once with old pokémon energy cards, that's always a good partystarter in our group, so you might do that to refresh that oldie goldie game into a new experience

Another fun party-game we play is snapdragon, you put some raisins in a wide shallow bowl, heat up some cheap rotgut liquor on the stove, pour it over the raisins and then light it. The goal of the game is to grab the raisins out of the fire and eat them. They're delicious.

To prevent a full-out youtube party you could make a 'pay for music requests' system. And all the money that gets collected in that way goes to the next alcohol-run, the alcohol bought with that should be freely available for all guests.

Those are the tips on top of my mind, I'll let post it if I think of other stuff

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Quality booze is all good & well, but sometimes quantity is more important. Maybe this is one of those times? Buy a few cases of generic local beer, some bags of ice, find some suitable vessels n fill with impressive amount of ready to drink bevvies. Bathtub is perfect but tin tubs, wheelbarrows, clean garbage cans, old fridge on its back, anything will do.

Get a barbeque n plenty of pork sausages, a couple loves bread, mustard & ketchup.

Have bubbly ready for midnight, cheapish stuff, enough for everyone in vaguely classy cups or glasses.

Tunes are key. A good band is best, but otherwise appoint someone to be in charge n make a playlist.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

If none of your friends are throwing a party, have you at least done the market research to find out if they'd be interested in coming to yours? Was helping a friend prep for a new year's party and all the while there was a steady stream of calls from invited guests that they weren't going to make it. It was a very low key party. Please be advised to not open your home to strangers. Been there and done that. Lost items after the party and 2 weeks later there was an attempted burglary.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Lush City wrote:If none of your friends are throwing a party, have you at least done the market research to find out if they'd be interested in coming to yours? Was helping a friend prep for a new year's party and all the while there was a steady stream of calls from invited guests that they weren't going to make it. It was a very low key party. Please be advised to not open your home to strangers. Been there and done that. Lost items after the party and 2 weeks later there was an attempted burglary.
Yea, I'm starting to put out the feelers. If I had a dollar for every time I had a party go bust and my buddy and I ended up drinking bitching about our friends, I'd have a few dollars. So I'm familiar and making contingiency plans

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

point by point on other replies: I'm planning to balance quality and quantity. Budweiser for quantity, then some quality stuff, but not an obscenely expensive amount. I really like the idea of using the bathtub or something as a giant beer container. Kind of has a neat sort of prohibition theme feel to it. Pork Sausage sounds fan-fuckin-tastic man. Bubbly of course. Problem is, I know absolutely nothing about wine or champagne. Suggestions on something that would be cheap and not taste like piss?

I'll certainly be roaring drunk, always am. Snack foods, yes. Give me more info on that pokemon energy cards ring of fire. That sounds great. Snapdragon sounds like it'd get me sued haahah. I like the pay for music requests, not sure.

Fireworks - love it, but don't want to blow somebody's hand off. I'm torn. Freckles - oh, certainly. hahahahaha

Every one of my friends hates toga parties. Not out of some disdain for the idea, but because every one they've been to is a shitty party.