Tom Robbins

Post your favorite quips of wino wisdom here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Tom Robbins

Post by Bluto »

Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been undrunk, responsible and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature.

-Tom Robbins

This may not speciffically be about drinking, but I like the general idea behind it. It's not too hard to make the leap from playful, rebellious, and immature to a good bender.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

billybill
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by billybill »

There's a lot of great quotes like that in robbins' work that could be taken in the drunken context, but I think in general he's actually kind of opposed drunkedness and more into the psychadellics.
But writing's like art and you can take it how you fucking want.
Silly Rabbit, tripping is for teenagers, murder is for murderers and hard drugs are for bartenders.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

I think you're right. Both about Robbins intent and writings ability to be interpreted in different ways.
I like to look at this particular line as being in the vein of carpe diem. go out and have fun, be wild, go cazy, drink a litle too much vino. The end of the world will not be the of such endeavors. In fact, it's behavior such as this that really makes life worth living and leads to many great things.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

billybill
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by billybill »

yeah. he's simply amazing, what book is that from again?
After Vonnegut, he's my favorite author. His books have changed the way I look at certain aspects of life.
Which reminds me it's about time I read still life with woodpecker again.
Silly Rabbit, tripping is for teenagers, murder is for murderers and hard drugs are for bartenders.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

billybill wrote:yeah. he's simply amazing, what book is that from again?
After Vonnegut, he's my favorite author. His books have changed the way I look at certain aspects of life.
Which reminds me it's about time I read still life with woodpecker again.
I believe it is from In Humanity. But to be honest I'm not as familiar with his work as I Should be. That's something I hope to remedy in the foreseeable fututre.